GeForce GTX 550ti or GTX 460

Hi guys. so i wanted to know why is the GTX 460 better than the geforce 550ti. I can see a higher core clock and memory clock on the 550ti and it matches the clocks on a superclocked GTX 460. the only thing i found is that the 550ti has a 192bit memory BUS and the 460 has a 256bit memory BUS. please tell me what did i miss that makes the 460 a better card
26 answers Last reply
More about geforce 550ti
  1. Even the massively overclocked Zotac 550 AMP! card (1000 mhz) can't compete with a reference GTX 460:

    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_550_Ti_Amp_Edition/images/perfrel_1920.gif
  2. In order to determine the power of a card, you cannot look solely at the clocks. The clocks tell yo how fast each core int he graphics card is running, so if a card had 100 graphics cores at 800 mhz, it would be more powerful than a card with 50 cores at 600 mhz. In this case, the 550ti has 192 cores running at 900mhz, versus the 460 with 336 cores running at 810mhz. Without taking the shaders and other factors into account you can calculate the relative core power by multiplying the # of cores, by the core clock.

    460: 336 x 810 = 272160
    550ti: 192 x 900 = 172800

    (This is not an exact nor precise representation of power, it is simple a visual aid)

    That explains why the 460 is more powerful, if you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them :)
  3. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-gf116-radeon-hd-5770,2892.html The GTX 550 is meant to fill the gap between GTS 450 and GTX 460, which is does. Based on what I read in that review, and the small price difference, I'd go with a 460. ;)
  4. holykalo said:
    In order to determine the power of a card, you cannot look solely at the clocks. The clocks tell yo how fast each core int he graphics card is running, so if a card had 100 graphics cores at 800 mhz, it would be more powerful than a card with 50 cores at 600 mhz. In this case, the 550ti has 192 cores running at 900mhz, versus the 460 with 336 cores running at 810mhz. Without taking the shaders and other factors into account you can calculate the relative core power by multiplying the # of cores, by the core clock.

    460: 336 x 810 = 272160
    550ti: 192 x 900 = 172800

    (This is not an exact nor precise representation of power, it is simple a visual aid)

    That explains why the 460 is more powerful, if you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them :)


    Yes. your message for very useful to me. and i'm also sure that it will be selected as the best answer on this thread
  5. bigcyco1 said:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-gf116-radeon-hd-5770,2892.html The GTX 550 is meant to fill the gap between GTS 450 and GTX 460, which is does. Based on what I read in that review, and the small price difference, I'd go with a 460. ;)


    is the R 6850 worth getting instead of the GTX 460?
  6. Lazar_99 said:
    is the R 6850 worth getting instead of the GTX 460?
    The 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 would be better and cost only 10 dollars more than 6850 see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353
  7. Look here to choice best card for your money http://s3s-main.net/l2/66pd2IpTf22/30458119/2700350540.html hope this helps bud
  8. bigcyco1 said:
    Look here to choice best card for your money http://s3s-main.net/l2/66pd2IpTf22/30458119/2700350540.html hope this helps bud


    tnx :D it will help me in my quest to find a decent gaming card
  9. Lazar_99 said:
    tnx :D it will help me in my quest to find a decent gaming card
    No problem my pleasure your very welcome! ;)
  10. Don't forget to select me as best answer lol kidding it's up to you.
  11. its more about witch games u prefer more both the rad 6850 and the gtx 460 are great cards but keep in mind only the nvidia one will let u use physx .... in any case for that price range both are great bang for buck as for the gtx 550 ti i rly don't like that card its sub par in price/performance compared to the otter two ... so if u wanna go 5x nvidia route got for at least a 560 or 560TI it cost more but u get more out of it ... in any case both the r 6850 and the gtx 460 are good deals oh and by the way if ur going to go for the 460 try to get a 256 bit version not the 192 bit one
  12. as33 said:
    its more about witch games u prefer more both the rad 6850 and the gtx 460 are great cards but keep in mind only the nvidia one will let u use physx .... in any case for that price range both are great bang for buck as for the gtx 550 ti i rly don't like that card its sub par in price/performance compared to the otter two ... so if u wanna go 5x nvidia route got for at least a 560 or 560TI it cost more but u get more out of it ... in any case both the r 6850 and the gtx 460 are good deals oh and by the way if ur going to go for the 460 try to get a 256 bit version not the 192 bit one


    Yes i'm aware that there is a 460 SE which has a 192bit memory BUS. My opinion on that and the 560 SE: stay away from them. oh and the only 460 worth buying now is the 1gig version
  13. Just to help you out a bit. I have had my GTX 460 1GB since the week they were released over a year and a half ago and it still lets me max just about every game I play ay 1920 x 1080. Skyrim, Deus Ex, Far Cry / 2 Fallout 3 / NV, Dragon Age Origins / 2 ect. I orignally had this card paired with an E8400 overclocked to 4Ghz and it was great with that setup as well.

    My card is overclocked to 840-1680-2000. I believe this is the same as a reference GTX 560. The GTX 560 is just a rebadged and highly overclocked GTX 460 1GB. It has been fine at these clock speeds since day 1.

    I will probably upgrade when the GTX 660 / 660Ti is released.
  14. anort3 said:
    Just to help you out a bit. I have had my GTX 460 1GB since the week they were released over a year and a half ago and it still lets me max just about every game I play ay 1920 x 1080. Skyrim, Deus Ex, Far Cry / 2 Fallout 3 / NV, Dragon Age Origins / 2 ect. I orignally had this card paired with an E8400 overclocked to 4Ghz and it was great with that setup as well.

    My card is overclocked to 840-1680-2000. I believe this is the same as a reference GTX 560. The GTX 560 is just a rebadged and highly overclocked GTX 460 1GB. It has been fine at these clock speeds since day 1.

    I will probably upgrade when the GTX 660 / 660Ti is released.


    well i'm gonna buy either the 460 or the 6870 since i don't want to spend 200$ or more on a gtx 560 or when the 660 comes out
  15. anort3 said:
    Just to help you out a bit. I have had my GTX 460 1GB since the week they were released over a year and a half ago and it still lets me max just about every game I play ay 1920 x 1080. Skyrim, Deus Ex, Far Cry / 2 Fallout 3 / NV, Dragon Age Origins / 2 ect. I orignally had this card paired with an E8400 overclocked to 4Ghz and it was great with that setup as well.

    My card is overclocked to 840-1680-2000. I believe this is the same as a reference GTX 560. The GTX 560 is just a rebadged and highly overclocked GTX 460 1GB. It has been fine at these clock speeds since day 1.

    I will probably upgrade when the GTX 660 / 660Ti is released.


    well i'm gonna buy either the 460 or the 6870 since i don't want to spend 200$ or more on a gtx 560 or when the 660 comes out. i forgot to mention that right now i have a GT 240 1gb gddr5
  16. Based on how good the GTX 670 that was just released is the GTX 660/660 Ti should be a very good cards. Much like the GTX 460 1GB and the 8800GT were amazing values for the price/performance they offered when new. I would guess that the 660 will be in the ~$200 range and the 660 Ti about ~$300. It might be 5 or 6 months before they come out though.
  17. anort3 said:
    Based on how good the GTX 670 that was just released is the GTX 660/660 Ti should be a very good cards. Much like the GTX 460 1GB and the 8800GT were amazing values for the price/performance they offered when new. I would guess that the 660 will be in the ~$200 range and the 660 Ti about ~$300. It might be 5 or 6 months before they come out though.


    might be but its over the limit i want to spend on a graphics card
  18. The 6870 is in my opinion, THE best bang for your buck graphics card wise. I can ahndle bf3 on ultra with my 6850, and the 6870 is substantially more powerful. If you are going to spend about 200$, that would be the best way to go. It all depends on what you are to be doing with your card. If you find the 6870 is overkill for what you are doing (watching movies, reading artcicles, homework, facebook etc.) then go with a cheaper card like the gt 460, and save your money. (Though it makes no difference, I shudder at the idea of being 2 generations behind)
  19. HD 6870...Only because I have one :D .....Oh and this...>http://www.hwcompare.com/8240/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6870/
  20. SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )
    Model #:100314-3L
    Item #:N82E16814102948
    Return Policy:VGA Standard Return Policy
    In Stock
    Mail in Rebate Card

    $179.99 -$10.00 Instant $169.99


    Update

    GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

    GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...
    Model #:GV-R685OC-1GD
    Item #:N82E16814125353
    Return Policy:VGA Standard Return Policy
    In Stock
    Mail in Rebate Card

    $159.99 $159.99 THOSE ARE AT NEWEGG
  21. GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready, Overclocked $169.99 @ tigerdirect
  22. bigcyco1 said:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready, Overclocked $169.99 @ tigerdirect


    yes but i can't buy it from newegg
  23. Lazar_99 said:
    yes but i can't buy it from newegg
    :hello: Oh i apologize about that i didn't know so where can you buy from bud
  24. bigcyco1 said:
    :hello: Oh i apologize about that i didn't know so where can you buy from bud


    well in my country its hard to find a GTX 560 let alone for 170$ you can find a HD 6850 here for 160$ not to mention that a 560TI costs 220$
  25. Lazar_99 said:
    well in my country its hard to find a GTX 560 let alone for 170$ you can find a HD 6850 here for 160$ not to mention that a 560TI costs 220$
    well that sucks :( but given your options i would get a HD 6850 ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Geforce Memory Graphics Product