Raid0 Setup Question

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I have a brand new IBM 60GXP ATA100 7200rpm 60GB and a Maxtor ATA66 7200rpm 60GB hard drives. I've been using the Maxtor alone for (WinME with office/productivity programs and data storage) I'm wanting to set up a separate audio recording system by installing a Promise FastTrack TX2 ATA100 Controller card for setting up a RAID0 configuration and adding another IBM the same as the first to the configuration. Can I still keep the Maxtor drive as a separate drive for performing separate boot ups for running WinME and the productivity programs and as a backup drive for the audio? How would you configure this for best performance? ASUS A7M266 motherboard with one primary and one secondary IDE channel. If the separate bootup is not possible can I still run the Maxtor from the IDE primary channel or secondary IDE channel on the MOBO and use it as a backup drive? I have a CDRW (master) and DVD (slave) hooked up to the secondary at this time. Thanks a million.
Allen

another_Moose

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
You can't keep the maxtor seperate as a bootable drive and also put it into the RAID array. Both HD's have to be installed on the IDE conectors attached to the RAID controller card and should be on seperate channels, each as a master device.

If I'm not mistaken, the maxtor being ata66 will cause the IBM to also run at ata66 instead of ata100. You can get third HD if you have enough power cables from the PS, keeping the maxtor where it is and booting windows, and using the 2 new drives in a RAID array for storing the audio files.

Remember that if you do go with just the maxtor and IBM, setting up the stripped array will erase all info on the maxtor drive so back up first.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think you misread his post.

Yes, you can keep your Maxtor as the bootable, and put the two IBMs on the RAID. Just throw in the RAID card, attach the two IBMs on separate channels (both as master), and configure the RAID.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

Yes, sure. Put the raided drives on the controller card, and the standalone drive as a master on whatever channel you have available on the motherboard.

Leo