bmangoogle

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hi guys, I have just bought a Gigabyte 6870 windforce 3x OC and am having some fps problems in games like Skyrim and TF2. One game that is really bad is Just cause 2. I could play it just fine with good fps with my 5770 but with my 6870 I'm getting an average of 15FPS in game no matter what setting they are. Here is a screenshot of GPU-Z:

Do you know what the problem might be? I've seen a lot of people with the same card that get great FPS.

Thanks

Solution
If you have a bit of free space on your hard drive, create a 50Gb partition. install windows on that + drivers + a few games to test.

it might help.

It should rule out all possible software/driver conflicts.
What are the temps are you fans ramping up properly, what driver, have you tried reinstalling drivers, what else do you have running? anything cpu/gpu intensive? (like a forgotten instance of F@H) are you using SSAO (I know for me that drops my fps by like 15)

I have a 6870 and I play skyrim on high + tf2 maxed. I haven't tried JC2 yet but might install it just to test

bmangoogle

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Fans keep the card at about 55-65c when I'm playing. I reinstalled the drivers and its still the same. And i dont use any other programs when im playing

download MSI afterburner, enable on screen logging or whatever they call it, it will tell you how much of the GPU is being used. also check if its changing from idle clocks to full (gpus down clock when idle and sometimes you get one that doesn't like returning to full clock speed)

might also try in bios disable CnQ to see if that helps.

bmangoogle

Honorable
May 12, 2012

All my games are on steam so they update automatically. Directx is updated and I'm not using and power saver plans.

bmangoogle

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Well it says its only using 22% of gpu at full clock speeds and 15FPS in Just cause 2.

They do sell 1000w, I saw one on sale at newegg for around 150, woulda bought it if I had some play money.

Even if it is only 500w thats still more than enough for his setup, even overclocked.

Your a genius.

They actually sell 1850w psu's....that wasn't my point. It went way over your head.

Ok buddy, no need to get so standoff-ish if I missed the joke. I just went off what you said, you said it was a 500w marked as 1000w. I took that to mean you thought it was some crappy no name 1000w that can only ouput 500w total.

If you meant he didn't need anything higher than a 500w then I agree with you.

If there was some other meaning I'm just not getting it I guess.

I clearly stated "likely a 500w labeled as a 1000w".

Your response was to tell me that they DO make 1000w psu's, as if I didn't know that.

Usually when someone says "I have a 1000w psu" and they don't list the make or model, you can pretty much guarantee it's generic junk.

Yes 500w would be plenty for his sytem.

bmangoogle

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Okay so i did that and the game now gets a full 60 fps all the time.