Sign in with
Your question

From 2006 Macbook Pro to 2012 NEW BUILD (Gamer)

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2012 11:11:00 PM

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I'm about to upgrade from a 2006 2.4ghz dual core MBP with 2gb ram, GeForce 8600m. I had to purchase a Macbook in order to use Logic Pro, as I am a musician first and a gamer second.

Nevertheless, I love gaming and consider myself a hardcore FPS gamer. Due to my financial situation, I haven't been able to afford a rig capable of playing anything beyond Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2, etc. My Macbook Pro has to work its ass off to get 25 FPS in STALKER.

So, to the point, I'm extremely excited to finally be able to afford my first real gaming rig.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: 1300 euro / 1600 US dollars (I'm an American citizen now living in The Netherlands)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming :sol: 

Preferred Website for Parts: If Newegg would ship to the NL, I would buy from them, but I'm going with www.mycom.nl as they are local and seem to be the closest thing to newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel, EVGA

Overclocking: In the future.

SLI or Crossfire: In the future, maybe.

NEW SYSTEM SPECS

• Intel i5-2500k
  • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
  • Intel SSD 330 120GB (for Windows & Battlefield 3)
  • Western Digital Blue 500GB (for additional games, storage)
  • Corsair White 1600 2x4GB (8GB)
  • EVGA GTX 680 2GB
  • Cooler Master Silencio 550 Case
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
  • Cooler Master GX 750Watt PSU
  • Sony 24x DVD Burner
  • Windows 7 64-bit (already own)

I will be purchasing a 22 or 23" monitor in a local store here, and I will probably purchase a second monitor in a year or two.

My two main questions are:

1) Based on my new system specs, is there anything I'm missing, or does anyone see any major flaws in my setup?

2) Is it necessary to purchase a GPU cooler right away, or is it OK to wait a year or two?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    July 5, 2012 11:28:23 PM

1) One flaw is that power supply. Don't get a Cooler Master PSU - go for something veritably reliable, like the Corsair TX-V2 series, the Seasonic S12II or M12II series, the PC Power & Cooling Silencer series, or the XFX Pro series. Each of them has a 750ish watt PSU, with superb efficiency, reliability, and warranty.

Also consider getting a different case - I'm a bit skeptical of the airflow and insulation that 'silent' cases may have. The Silencio 550 only supports up to 3 120mm fans. Some cases you may want to consider: Rosewill Blackhawk, NZXT Phantom (there's also a Phantom 410, but I prefer the Phantom) Corsair 400R (also 500R), or Antec Nine Hundred.

2) You really don't need an aftermarket GPU cooler at all, so I'd say yes, it's okay to wait a year or two.

Honestly though, other than that PSU, your build looks pretty solid. The only other thing I can think of is your mobo, and honestly even that's fine - you'll gain very little over a Z68 motherboard (since you're not using an Ivy Bridge chip), but it's a great choice nonetheless.

If you need to shave some of the cost off though, then I'd suggest dropping from the 680 to the 670 (since the difference in overall performance is very little).
    July 5, 2012 11:36:12 PM

heres what i would do. buy as many components at your local shop and import the rest from the UK

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/bsxs

the gtx 670 can perform as well as the 680 after you overclock it a little bit more (id suggest 1025mhz from 980mhz).

if you are looking for the features the PRO board has, the gigabyte z77x-ud5h has more. if you dont need all those features, the ud3h would be just as good

heres the components that you can buy in the Netherlands

http://pcpartpicker.com/de/p/bsyk
    Related resources
    July 5, 2012 11:41:22 PM

BirthNight said:

My two main questions are:

1) Based on my new system specs, is there anything I'm missing, or does anyone see any major flaws in my setup?

2) Is it necessary to purchase a GPU cooler right away, or is it OK to wait a year or two?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. The only real flaw that I see is that you'll need the i5-3570K to take full advantage of that Z77 board: http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Processor/Intel...

If you're using the i5-2500K you'll need Z68.

There's a couple things I'd switch out:

PSU - Cooler Master has an absolutely terrible reputation in the PSU department. Get something like this instead: http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Voeding/Corsair...

Storage - I have an Intel 320 and hate it. It's slow (SATA II) and constantly freezes due to the unstable Sandforce controller and doesn't recognize Windows updates. Get this instead:
    - Crucial M4: http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Solid-State-Dri...
    - Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB: http://www.mycom.nl/Handlers/ProductImage.ashx?ProductI...

That will give you far more storage for the same price and it's more stable as well.

2. *NEVER* (double triple emphasis) purchase an aftermarket GPU cooler - most vendors including EVGA, Gainward, and PNY will void your warranty if you RMA your card and they find you've been using an aftermarket cooler, and on a $500 GPU, you'd be SOL if that happens.
    July 5, 2012 11:44:44 PM

XFX allows the installation of aftermarket heatsinks without voiding warranty at all as long as you can put the original cooler back on and make it work although it is completely irrelivant

as g-unit1111 said, dont put aftermarket coolers on your cards
    July 6, 2012 11:30:12 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to review my post! The new specs are:

Intel i5-3570k
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Crucial SSD M4 128GB (for Windows & Battlefield 3)
    Western Digital Blue 500GB (for additional games, storage)
    Corsair White 1600 2x4GB (8GB)
    EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    Corsair Carbide 500R Case (White)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
    Corsair TX 750 V2 PSU
    Sony 24x DVD Burner
    Windows 7 64-bit

Based on all of your advice, I've switched the case, the PSU, SSD, and I'm now going to get the i5-3750k instead of 2500k (only 18$ more). All changes only add about $60, so I'm totally happy.

Thanks again!

I'll post pics of my new PC when it's built! (always wanted to do that :wahoo:  )
    July 6, 2012 12:09:50 PM

sounds good right now
    July 6, 2012 4:14:58 PM

BirthNight said:
    Thank you all for taking the time to review my post! The new specs are:

Intel i5-3570k
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Crucial SSD M4 128GB (for Windows & Battlefield 3)
    Western Digital Blue 500GB (for additional games, storage)
    Corsair White 1600 2x4GB (8GB)
    EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    Corsair Carbide 500R Case (White)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
    Corsair TX 750 V2 PSU
    Sony 24x DVD Burner
    Windows 7 64-bit

Based on all of your advice, I've switched the case, the PSU, SSD, and I'm now going to get the i5-3750k instead of 2500k (only 18$ more). All changes only add about $60, so I'm totally happy.

Thanks again!

I'll post pics of my new PC when it's built! (always wanted to do that :wahoo:  )

Get a 1 or 2TB Green drive as that will only add an extra $20 - and you'll have more than enough storage, but otherwise that looks good.
    July 6, 2012 4:19:28 PM

i have yet to see someone use more than 1tb of storage.... but you can upgrade
    July 6, 2012 5:44:19 PM

Good point G-Unit,

And upon further research of the GTX 670FTW, I've decided to go with that (also suggested by TheBigTroll and mousseng in this thread).
    This will save me around 100$, so I will go ahead and upgrade to the WD 1TB Blue.

Can't wait to noob it up in BF3!!!
    July 6, 2012 5:48:14 PM

BirthNight said:
    Good point G-Unit,

And upon further research of the GTX 670FTW, I've decided to go with that (also suggested by TheBigTroll and mousseng in this thread).
    This will save me around 100$, so I will go ahead and upgrade to the WD 1TB Blue.

Can't wait to noob it up in BF3!!!

Get this - same price as the blue, twice the storage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yes the 670 FTW is an awesome card, you won't regret it.
    July 6, 2012 5:54:56 PM

Sounds great, thanks for the advice!
    !