Closed Solved

What's the advantage of having a dual CPU system?

I was wondering what would be the most beneficial reason to have a dual CPU system? You would need a certain type of motherboard right? Do the processors work together or one at a time? I have seen some workbench systems which use 2 CPUs but I am really not sure why. Would two i7 3930ks be better than one i7 3970x? What type of work would somebody be doing that would require such a system? Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what advantage dual system
  1. Best answer
    An advantage of a Dual-Socket system would be a massive rendering-work station and/or server :)

Also, you need a CPU that supports the dual-socket technology so the two CPU's can talk with each other. I forgot what this technology is called but it won't work with your standard mainstream CPU's. Xeons are required for this (Intel) or Opterons (AMD).
  2. mocchan said:
    An advantage of a Dual-Socket system would be a massive rendering-work station and/or server :)

Also, you need a CPU that supports the dual-socket technology so the two CPU's can talk with each other. I forgot what this technology is called but it won't work with your standard mainstream CPU's. Xeons are required for this (Intel) or Opterons (AMD).

QPI.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_QuickPath_Interconnect
  3. Of course 2 3930k's would be faster than one 3970X, the 3970X is just 200mhz faster than the 3930K.
  4. amuffin said:

YES, THAT!

Thank you...I couldn't remember it for the life of me.
  5. amuffin said:
    Of course 2 3930k's would be faster than one 3970X, the 3970X is just 200mhz faster than the 3930K.

Oops haha didn't think about that. Thanks!
  6. Best answer selected by Wallywaiting.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Motherboards