Athlon-optimized memory

G

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to upgrade my memory, and Edge Micro has modules that are listed as specifically for Athlons. I'm running a Duron system. I know that the Duron core is based on the Athlon core. Is it beneficial to use these Athlon modules, or should I just buy the standard modules? How can I find out if these modules are compatible with my motherboard? (FIC AZ-11) I never heard of these bloody things. :) Thanks!

Peter

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I've never heard of CPU optimized memory - what they probably mean is that the memory is optimized for a certain chipset very commonly used with a certain CPU - so maybe it is VC-RAM (then maybe not).
A different issue is that certain memory has qualities (like large bandwith) only used by a fast CPU - so it could be DDRAM, because the P3 doesn't profit much (if any) and there is no P4 DDRAM chipset - yet.

'Nough rambling -
1 - if a certain memory module is optimized to the Athlon, the Duron should be able to benefit from it (same architecture);
2 - as the "optimization" is probably connected with the ability to use the bandwith provided (if it is DDRAM), the Duron wouldn't benefit much, being of lower speed;
3 - don't pay a price premium because an unexplained benefit. Why is it optimized? - that's the question...

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I've checked their website and found the Athlon optimized memory modules. They are not faster than regular RAM, just cheaper - due to the use of high density modules - supported by the Athlon (or Duron) chipsets - apparently not by Intel CPU chipsets and some of the VIA AMD chipsets.
Therefore you should read "optimized" as "supported only by some". But it seems to be a good deal.

A similar issue has arised in this board - a user was asking about compatibility with an Abit K7.

Does your mobo supports it? - check the manufacturer website ;) for high density modules support. Or maybe other user can clear the issue.

FatBurger

Illustrious
so it could be DDRAM, because the P3 doesn't profit much (if any) and there is no P4 DDRAM chipset - yet.
There aren't any P3 chipsets with DDR support.

Anyhow, don't worry about it saying optimized. There's too much BS out on the internet. If something is close to the same price but looks way better (by the desctiption), it's probably exactly the same thing :)
Not always true, but hopefully you get my point.
Examples are Athlons that "support DDR memory". Duh, they all do. Has nothing to do with the CPU. Or the IDE cables with 4 ports. You can only use 2, so what's the point?

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
There aren't any P3 chipsets with DDR support.
I'm afraid there is... VIA Apollo Pro 266.

And it is even used in a bunch of mobos...
Not that the CPU can make much use of it - well maybe Tualatin will...

Of course that the supported memory depends on the chipset (more specifically the memory controler) not the CPU - but some types of memory can be better used by certain CPUs - although it is an issue of being a balanced system, not optimization (example a fast CPU + slow memory or vice versa would not be an "optimized memory" - actually an unbalanced solution ;))

Anyway, in this case it is high density modules, cheaper than regular ones, but only supported by certain AMD mobos.

G

You're right, I misspoke...it's made specifically for the chipset. Edge Micro issues a disclaimer that this memory may not be compatible with all chipsets, so I was trying to figure out if I was in good shape.

My mobo supports high-density memory and these chips are actually slightly cheaper than the standard components, so I'll try it. I'll post if I run into trouble so you dudes can avoid it.

Thanks,
Peter