November 15, 2012 3:10:50 AM

Some specs:

i5 3470
Evga Gtx670
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Patriot Gamer 2 Series Ram (2x 4GB)
650watt Seasonic Modular PSU
Full size case

So I'm wanting to get rid of this stock heat sink,and upgrade to a better one. I'd prefer one with LED's on it but isn't a must.(don't judge me ^_^ ) My issue however is my motherboard looks pretty small so I don't know what the max size cpu cooler I can put in it. The stock one that came with my i5 3470 is pretty much the biggest thing I could put in their. I'm looking for the best CPU cooler up to $70. I don't care if there is a better value cpu cooler for lets say $30,unless it is equally as good as a $70 one. Also like I said, I prefer one with blue led's but it isn't a necessity. (also if someone can tell me the max size CPU cooler i can put in for my own knowledge I'd appreciate it.)

Thanks for any help <3

- Brittany

More about : buying cpu cooler

November 15, 2012 5:00:53 AM

taylorswift said:
Some specs:

i5 3470
Evga Gtx670
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Patriot Gamer 2 Series Ram (2x 4GB)
650watt Seasonic Modular PSU
Full size case

So I'm wanting to get rid of this stock heat sink,and upgrade to a better one. I'd prefer one with LED's on it but isn't a must.(don't judge me ^_^ ) My issue however is my motherboard looks pretty small so I don't know what the max size cpu cooler I can put in it. The stock one that came with my i5 3470 is pretty much the biggest thing I could put in their. I'm looking for the best CPU cooler up to $70. I don't care if there is a better value cpu cooler for lets say $30,unless it is equally as good as a $70 one. Also like I said, I prefer one with blue led's but it isn't a necessity. (also if someone can tell me the max size CPU cooler i can put in for my own knowledge I'd appreciate it.)

Thanks for any help <3

- Brittany

Are you overclokcing at all?

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 5:10:34 AM

Also useful to know is the clearance height between the motherboard and the side of the case.

If you aren't overclocking and just want to cool things down a bit, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is more than sufficient, though its not exactly the prettiest.
You can always fit your choice of glitzy fans to it and induce seizures in your HDDs.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 5:30:22 AM

Since you said you wanted LED's, here's one that I find looks quite attractive:

ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this overkill? Yes, it is. Your CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier meaning that it won't produce much heat.

From a value standpoint, I would recommend the Hyper 212 PLUS/EVO that Rammy had recommended and suggest purchasing a Blue-LED fan :)  This will run you around ~$40 compared to the ~$80 on the Zalman cooler I recommended.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:28:45 PM

I was told I couldn't overclock the 3470.

And your saying I can purchase a different fan for the CPU cooler? So buy the hyper212 evo/plus and buy a led fan to replace the fan that it comes with? Can someone tell me the correct size fan I would need to buy?

Oh and there is a HUGE space between my motherboard and side of my case. I have a full tower. IN-WIN GRone which is enormous.
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:29:35 PM

I do need the cooling that's the main purpose of this.on full load my cpu reaches up to 64° which is warmer than I would like
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:36:49 PM

taylorswift said:
I do need the cooling that's the main purpose of this.on full load my cpu reaches up to 64° which is warmer than I would like

You can save a few bucks by buing the evo 212 plus and getting a nice blue fan
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 3:46:11 PM

taylorswift said:

Yeah what I meant was that you aren't in a situation where it's critical.
If you pick a fan with lower airflow than the stock one, you should still have plenty of performance.

I have a similar processor to you (3450) and was getting similar figures to yours with the stock fan (40-60°C).
Due to access/cost/noise reasons I replaced it with an Antec 620 with 2 900rpm fans. They are incredibly quiet because they don't do an awful lot, but I'm still yet to see the temps go past 50. I know it's a slightly different situation, but it shows how much a good heatsink (or in my case radiator) can do with minimal fan assistance.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 5:39:48 PM

taylorswift said:

My previous recommendation of the Hyper 212 EVO/PLUS remains the same; it will do a superb job of cooling your CPU at a very low and budget-friendly cost.

Yes, you can purchase a different fan for a CPU cooler as long as you purchase the correct size. The Hyper 212 EVO/PLUS comes with two sets of brackets so you can put two fans on there if you'd like :) 

The Hyper 212 is a 120MM cooler, you will want to purchase a 120MM fan to go along with it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:44:33 AM

I doubt it, from a quick google it looks like your ram doesn't have any ridiculous heatsinks on it like mine does.

Also, the heatsink definitely won't. If anything gets close it'll be the right side fan. Total distance off the centreline of your processor towards your ram should be around 65mm with a fan attached. If you are really worried you could always get a slightly shallower fan, though I can't see many smaller than 25mm.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme...
There's a photo of a much bigger cooler, and much bigger ram, on your motherboard
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:21:57 AM

Can someone tell me if this ZALMAN CPU cooler will fit ok on my motherboard and if it will do at least as good of a job as the hyper 212+ ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I like the look of this one better than the 212+ and I wouldn't have to change out the fans or anything. I much rather spend the extra $15.

And this is a heatsink correct not a radiator? I am still a beginner as you can tell lol. But I get slack for being a girl =P
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:30:17 AM

taylorswift said:

And this is a heatsink correct not a radiator? I am still a beginner as you can tell lol.

Yeah sorry my fault, I mentioned my own radiator above. They function in exactly the same way from a fan perspective, just one is filled with liquid. All of the things that have been linked are just heatsinks with fans attached.

In terms of size, that one will definitely fit with loads of room to spare, though I have no idea how well it performs. One thing, it's definitely quite an old design, it's probably been superceded by the likes of the Zalman linked earlier in the thread, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:35:08 AM

I will recommend the hyper 212 Evo as well!

Gonna get it from my rig.
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:35:45 AM

$78, I suppose I can do that. (the ZALMAN Rammy posted above)It does look pretty awesome. But before I order that, If anyone else knows any great led cpu coolers within that price range lmk <3

edit: that one says 135mm o.O so thats even bigger than the other one I believe. I hope it fits.
m
l
November 16, 2012 3:21:14 AM

Ah about to click the order button,but not sure if the 135mm will fit. The 212 people posted is 125mm I believe.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 3:31:28 AM

The 135mm is the distance up and down your motherboard (assuming it mounts in the conventional way), you should have no issues with that at all. That link I showed earlier - http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... that heatsink has 140mm fans attached and still seems to have a solid amount of clearance to the graphics card.
The left-to-right dimension (the airflow direction through the fans, if you like) is 94mm which is a lot smaller than the Hyper evo with 2 fans fitted (around 130mm) and way smaller than that monster in the picture above.
m
l
!