How do I know which graphics card are compatible with my computer

JeffAn

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hi I'm wondering how do I know which graphic cards are compatible with my particular computer My computer is this model Appreciate the help :hello:

Gateway DX-4850-45U i5-2300

Solution
Well first you have to see what your motherboard supports if its AGP which it shouldn't be the specs say you have PCI express slots. 1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCI Express x16,
3 (total) / 3 (free) x PCI Express x1. So you have one pci express x16 which means that on a video cards specs you will have something that says Interface PCIe 3.0 x16 meaning it would work. the x16's are for a graphics card the x1's have a slower speed 500 mbps vs. 8gbps these slots are used for usually network cards and such. The x1 and x16 pretty much just means its the number of lanes it has x1 one lane x16 16 lanes, but for your purpose you have a PCIExpress x16 for one graphics cards so any video card that is PCIexpress which most are now. The problem with this...

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Looks like your current rig has integrated graphics and It has one PCI-e 16x slot for adding a card. I think the thing you need to consider is that your PSU is only 300W and you can't use a card that draws too much power.

mvweez1

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Well first you have to see what your motherboard supports if its AGP which it shouldn't be the specs say you have PCI express slots. 1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCI Express x16,
3 (total) / 3 (free) x PCI Express x1. So you have one pci express x16 which means that on a video cards specs you will have something that says Interface PCIe 3.0 x16 meaning it would work. the x16's are for a graphics card the x1's have a slower speed 500 mbps vs. 8gbps these slots are used for usually network cards and such. The x1 and x16 pretty much just means its the number of lanes it has x1 one lane x16 16 lanes, but for your purpose you have a PCIExpress x16 for one graphics cards so any video card that is PCIexpress which most are now. The problem with this computer is that the power supply only has 300 watts which is rather low so you would have to look at how much power the video card consumes. If you want a new video card for your computer I would change out the power supply as well.

Solution

JeffAn

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Thank you I appreciate the help

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
There are 3 factor you have to look for when finding a suitable graphics card. I just simplify what mvweez1 said.

1) CPU. When choosing a GC, we have to look if it's compatible with the CPU. There are no specific ways to tell that, so we have to use logic. A newer CPU usually compatible with newer GPU. In your case, you have an i5 2300, so most newer GPU is compatible.

2) The slot. Newer graphic cards use PCI-E X16 slot. You have to find out if your motherboard have that slot. In your case, your motherboard have one.

3) PSU. PSU is the most important factor when choosing a GC. High end GPU use lots of power, so a bigger watt PSU have to be use. In your case, you have a 300W PSU, so any GC without a power connector can fit in. But, I recommend you to upgrade your PSU to atleast quality 500W PSU (Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX) and above. You can find one about $40.

Now, we only want to know your GC budget. :)

JeffAn

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Thank you so much for the in depth answer It is appreciated

I did take a look inside the case and it looks to me as if the power supply is really crammed up in there Is there any way to find a higher wattage power supply that will fit in it thats the same or close to the same size Do they have any places that you know of like when you're looking for RAM cards sometimes they have a page where you can just put in your computers model and it tells you the compatible Are most power supplies a standard size or do you have to measure the existing one and go from there I was also wondering about the plugs coming off the power supply Most of the plugs on this one look like little six pin plugs four on one row and two on the other just above the four. I guess what Im trying to say is Do most aftermarket power supplies come with specific plugs coming off of them I really appreciate the help I guess I could just get one that works with the existing power supply but I was really hoping to get an upgrade that would help with running video and such Thanks Again

JeffAn

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Thank you

JeffAn

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question I appreciate it,Jeff