System shutdown while gaming.

tjennings87

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hello,
I just got this system put together and attempted to play some games. I have updated all the drivers to the best of my knowledge but I am getting hardware/shutdowns when gaming.
I5 3570K - Stock Clock
Coolermaster n520
EVGA 560ti
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
OCZ Octane 120GB SSD
Ultra X3 1000W 80a 12v rail
Corsair Vengence 2x4gb

I know most of you all are going to suggest the power supply, and it probably is, but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. The PSU has 80amps to its 12v rail so I figured that would be sufficient. Also outside of gaming I can rung Furmark and Prime95 and not experience a crash.

I recently had a somewhat similar problem and the computer would crash the game and Windows and restart the computer just from launching the game. The computer would be fine in 2D and could do anything except play games. I sent the motherboard to the manufacturer because I had determined that it was the motherboard and they said it was the bios chip so they replaced it. I just got it back so I'm going to be putting it back in. Also it was a Gigabyte board and I notice that you have a gigabyte board as well. Have you updated the bios on the motherboard ?
If it's not the motherboard then it's the power supply and the best way to know is if you have a way to test it in another system or to have another psu to put in your system.

Then the chances of the problem being the power supply are slim
Can you run both at the same time ?

tjennings87

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Yeah I have been able to run both Prime95 and Furmark at the same time. From probably 30 minutes, without errors. The temps aren't really alarming either, Furmark pushed my GPU to almost 90 and my CPU never touched 60c. The bios has been updated, IB didn't want to play at all with the z68 board on the old bios.

tjennings87

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Done that, same result. I have a cheapo psu I am going to try. I also have a 9800gtx I can swap in to see if it still crashes, it probably won't pull on the psu as hard so it may not be a good test. Thanks for the suggestions

tjennings87

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Let me know what happens with your new board, if I don't have this resolved by then. My system shuts down sometimes before even fully launching a game much like you said yours was.

I plan on doing the swap in a day or so , I use water cooling so it takes a little longer to take things out and put it back especialy a motherboard , but I will let you know what happens. They did tell me that the bios chip was defective and I have my doubts as to that being the cause of the issue I was having . but we shall see.