Help Newbie!

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 9, 2005 12:42:12 PM

Hi I am looking at purchasing a digital camera for an up coming trip

Can anyone tell me if the
Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
look.

The two other ones I am looking at are

The pictures will be of places people and things....

HP PhotoSmart BMW Williams.F1 Team Special Edition 4.1MP Digital Camera
(R607)

Pentax Optio 4.0MP Digital Camera (S45)

Both are half the price of the Sony. I realize they are touting the
Sony as being the greatest because of the lens but My old camera was a
35mm pentax - I loved the pictures it took.

Thanks!
FJae

More about : newbie

August 9, 2005 1:15:20 PM

f_johnson@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi I am looking at purchasing a digital camera for an up coming trip
>
> Can anyone tell me if the
> Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
> look.
>
> The two other ones I am looking at are
>
> The pictures will be of places people and things....
>

> HP PhotoSmart BMW Williams.F1 Team Special Edition 4.1MP Digital Camera
> (R607)
>
> Pentax Optio 4.0MP Digital Camera (S45)
>
> Both are half the price of the Sony. I realize they are touting the
> Sony as being the greatest because of the lens but My old camera was a
> 35mm pentax - I loved the pictures it took.
>
> Thanks!
> FJae

Decide what's important to you and what's not, and then check through
the reviews at www.steve's-Digicams, www.imaging-resource.com,
www.megapixel.net and www.dpreview.com, and so forth. The Sony sounds
great, but it's an unusual format - I'd consider it experimental and it
may not hold up over time, or it may not fit you or your style. You
should find a store that has one and hold it yourself to see. An
alternative that has a similar format would be the Sanyo Xacti C5. The
biggest downside to Sony cams is the Memory Stick memory; otherwise
they make great cameras.

ECM
August 9, 2005 4:52:18 PM

Per f_johnson@hotmail.com:
>Can anyone tell me if the
>Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
>look.

This is from somebody who knows little about cameras or photography, but who
takes their share of pix and has been through a few digital cameras - and likes
to take pix on mountain biking trips.

1) I am averse to anything that uses Memory Stick. It's Sony-specific and, at
least in my Clie, tends to spontaneously release from it's slot. Although on
that camera it's probably embedded behind a door, making my objection moot.
Also, last time I checked, their memory capacities were severely limited. At
the time Sony was working around that by claiming double capacity by putting in
two banks of memory - but the user had to manually switch between them. Maybe
somebody who knows can comment on the current state of Memory Sticks.

My first choice would be something that uses CF, second would be SD. I like CF
because of it's form factor and the fact that it won't pop out of a receptacle
if bumped. SD is physically a little too small for me.

2) For travel, I think you're on the right track with the form factor. Beeeeeg
advantage to have something you can just carry in your pants pocket.

3) Think about what you are going to do with a full memory card while you're on
the road.

One solution is to purchase a lot of memory and just wait until you get home -
i.e. it'll never be full.

Another is to purchase a standalone CD/DVD burner and burn them to disk and,
maybe, mail the disk home.

Yet another may be (never seen one, but the niche is so obvious that I'd expect
find them by now) to upload to a kiosk somewhere, feed it a few dollars, and
walk away with a CD.
--
PeteCresswell
August 9, 2005 4:58:02 PM

f_johnson@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi I am looking at purchasing a digital camera for an up coming trip
>
>Can anyone tell me if the
>Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
>look.
>
>The two other ones I am looking at are
>
>The pictures will be of places people and things....
>
>HP PhotoSmart BMW Williams.F1 Team Special Edition 4.1MP Digital Camera
>(R607)
>
>Pentax Optio 4.0MP Digital Camera (S45)
>
>Both are half the price of the Sony. I realize they are touting the
>Sony as being the greatest because of the lens but My old camera was a
>35mm pentax - I loved the pictures it took.

I haven't used any of the cameras you mention but I concur with the
poster who said the biggest downside of the Sony is its proprietary
"Memory Stick" memory format. I worked in a photofinishing/camera store
part-time until just recently and was continually amazed at how many
different kinds of Sony Memory Stick there were. I can't see any
legitimate reason for it besides helping Sony sell memory.

My advice is to go with equipment that uses as little of proprietary
*anything* - batteries, memory, whatever. The safest course as far as
compatibility is concerned is to stick to either CF or SD cards (Compact
Flash or Secure Digital).
--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

ecm wrote:
> f_johnson@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Hi I am looking at purchasing a digital camera for an up coming trip
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if the
> > Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
> > look.
> >
> > The two other ones I am looking at are
> >
> > The pictures will be of places people and things....
> >

> > HP PhotoSmart BMW Williams.F1 Team Special Edition 4.1MP Digital Camera
> > (R607)
> >
> > Pentax Optio 4.0MP Digital Camera (S45)
> >
> > Both are half the price of the Sony. I realize they are touting the
> > Sony as being the greatest because of the lens but My old camera was a
> > 35mm pentax - I loved the pictures it took.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > FJae
>
> Decide what's important to you and what's not, and then check through
> the reviews at www.steve's-Digicams, www.imaging-resource.com,
> www.megapixel.net and www.dpreview.com, and so forth. The Sony sounds
> great, but it's an unusual format - I'd consider it experimental and it
> may not hold up over time, or it may not fit you or your style. You
> should find a store that has one and hold it yourself to see. An
> alternative that has a similar format would be the Sanyo Xacti C5. The
> biggest downside to Sony cams is the Memory Stick memory; otherwise
> they make great cameras.
>
> ECM

Another few thoughts after reading through your post again:

If price is an issue, don't get something that looks cool! Instead of
the "wow" M1, look at a Canon A520 (cheap, good pics) or Fuji F10
(pricier but very fast and ISO 1600!) or an Oly C-7070 if you can carry
the extra weight (best pics bar none, CF media). None of these cost
more than $360 right now.

Remember you'll have to invest in one or two flash cards on top of the
camera price; they'll cost you $40 or more each. For 512 MB, CF = $40,
SD = $45, xD = $50-55, Memory Stick = $60-70. I use mostly 512 MB
because it fits nicely on a cheap CD-R for backup.

A travel storage solution like the Addonics Disk Steno, or the
Transcend USB 2.0 Photobank (and many others) - will extend your
storage considerably, and will spare you the considerable hassle of
carrying a laptop - try to get a laptop by airport security these
days..... Per GB it's a quite a bit cheaper than, say, the equivalent 1
GB cards. BUT.... you'll only need it on really long trips, and the HDD
inside these things (or the CD-R media they use) isn't nearly as
resistant to drops, bumps, humidity, etc. as flash cards are.

For most 5 Mpixel cameras using highest quality JPEG compression,
you'll use something like 1.5-2.5 MB per image; you'll get ~300-400
pics on a 1 GB card. If you don't snap away like a fool, and routinely
delete the pics that don't work, you could go a complete 2 week trip
with one card. I remember a 3 month trip in Europe in 1987 - we took 20
rolls of film, used 15 - for a total of ~375 pictures. And we thought
we were being lavish! If you're not going to crop or blow up pics, just
look at them on a computer screen or print at 4X6", then a lot of the
time medium quality JPEG compression will do - my 5 Mpixel Olympus
C-5060 can get 500 pics on a 512 MB card at "HQ" setting, and they look
just fine up to 5X7".

ECM
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:18:22 AM

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per f_johnson@hotmail.com:
>
>>Can anyone tell me if the
>>Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
>>look.
>

> This is from somebody who knows little about cameras or photography, but who
> takes their share of pix and has been through a few digital cameras - and likes
> to take pix on mountain biking trips.
>
> 1) I am averse to anything that uses Memory Stick. It's Sony-specific and, at
> least in my Clie, tends to spontaneously release from it's slot. Although on
> that camera it's probably embedded behind a door, making my objection moot.
> Also, last time I checked, their memory capacities were severely limited. At
> the time Sony was working around that by claiming double capacity by putting in
> two banks of memory - but the user had to manually switch between them. Maybe
> somebody who knows can comment on the current state of Memory Sticks.
>
> My first choice would be something that uses CF, second would be SD. I like CF
> because of it's form factor and the fact that it won't pop out of a receptacle
> if bumped. SD is physically a little too small for me.
>

> 2) For travel, I think you're on the right track with the form factor. Beeeeeg
> advantage to have something you can just carry in your pants pocket.
>

> 3) Think about what you are going to do with a full memory card while you're on
> the road.
>
> One solution is to purchase a lot of memory and just wait until you get home -
> i.e. it'll never be full.
>
> Another is to purchase a standalone CD/DVD burner and burn them to disk and,
> maybe, mail the disk home.
>
> Yet another may be (never seen one, but the niche is so obvious that I'd expect
> find them by now) to upload to a kiosk somewhere, feed it a few dollars, and
> walk away with a CD.

Avoid getting CDs of your flash card images burned at a kiosk or camera
shop. These CDs are often low resolution, and if you then remove the
images from your card, you are out of luck. It's better to burn CDs
yourself via a PC and at full resolution, or have it done by someone
that you know will do it high res.
Morton
August 10, 2005 12:21:40 PM

Morton Linder wrote:
> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> > Per f_johnson@hotmail.com:
> >
> >>Can anyone tell me if the
> >>Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera is worth it. I love the
> >>look.

SNIP
> > One solution is to purchase a lot of memory and just wait until you get home -
> > i.e. it'll never be full.
> >
> > Another is to purchase a standalone CD/DVD burner and burn them to disk and,
> > maybe, mail the disk home.
> >
> > Yet another may be (never seen one, but the niche is so obvious that I'd expect
> > find them by now) to upload to a kiosk somewhere, feed it a few dollars, and
> > walk away with a CD.
>
> Avoid getting CDs of your flash card images burned at a kiosk or camera
> shop. These CDs are often low resolution, and if you then remove the
> images from your card, you are out of luck. It's better to burn CDs
> yourself via a PC and at full resolution, or have it done by someone
> that you know will do it high res.
> Morton

I'd agree - I've heard some kiosks (Kodak PictureCD?) do resize the
images. I've also heard sometimes computer shops will burn a plain
vanilla image file CD for you (if you're nice) for a few bucks.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:31:19 PM

Thank you to everyone, this is very helpful.
I will let you know what i go with!

!