Sign in with
Your question

PSU not working after plugging into mobo?

Last response: in Components
November 15, 2012 3:47:28 AM

So I am on my third replacement CPU. The first one blew, the second one tested with too high a PG number, and this one, when I unboxed it, tested fine. However, after plugging it into my motherboard, and all peripherals, it would not turn on. So I unplugged everything, and tried testing it, and now it does not work. Is there any way to identify the cause, see if my mobo is just frying PSUs left and right? I have an 1156 socket mobo so I am very limited if I need to replace it.
November 15, 2012 4:00:31 AM

Are you using your case to power it on ? if so you could have plugged in the front panel headers into the wrong pins on the motherboard.
m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
November 15, 2012 4:04:41 AM

Please don't take this the wrong way here but with that many PSU failures are you sure your motherboard isn't shorted and are you sure you are plugging in the correct 12v ATX connector into the motherboard and not a PCIe connector?
What is the make and model of the PSU(s)
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 4:06:09 AM

Additionally, when I leave the power supply off for a while and plg it back in, when I try to turn it on there is a brief red flash (the LEDs are red) but then nothing. No fan action anymore, nothing. I just unboxed it, tested it fine, put it in case and attached everything, found it didnt work, then found that testing again yields no result...so frustrated!
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:07:26 AM

The PSU is an OCZ Fatality 750W. The first one was a modxstream pro 600w. I am trying even just using my PSU tester and am getting nothing. I dont know if the brief plug into the mobo could have destroyed the PSU, but I find that unlikely.
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:07:50 AM

pendraggon87 said:
Additionally, when I leave the power supply off for a while and plg it back in, when I try to turn it on there is a brief red flash (the LEDs are red) but then nothing. No fan action anymore, nothing. I just unboxed it, tested it fine, put it in case and attached everything, found it didnt work, then found that testing again yields no result...so frustrated!

It could have been that your motherboard was shorted out in the process. As you said it worked when tested then didnt when put into your case.
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:11:16 AM

But could that have destroyed the psu? I didnt hear anything, see anything, nothing. I can't afford a new motherboard and processor. I have an 1156 socket i5, and they dont really have boards for that so id need a whole new proc as well...crap
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:13:02 AM

pendraggon87 said:
But could that have destroyed the psu? I didnt hear anything, see anything, nothing. I can't afford a new motherboard and processor. I have an 1156 socket i5, and they dont really have boards for that so id need a whole new proc as well...crap

It could have been, when you tested it was it with the same PSU ? All the PSU's you listed are very good psu's and wouldnt short a motherboard like other cheap psu's would. Do you have access to another computer to test the PSU on?
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:21:29 AM

I unfortunately do not. I may try to go to a computer store tomorrow and see if they can somehow test my PSU. I can't believe the mobo would destroy the PSU...otherwise I may buy a new PSU, test it without plugging in anything except the CPU and 24-pin power cables to the mobo, and see if the computer will at least turn on. I guess the PSU may still be udner warranty, but witht he amount of time it takes for RMA, might not be worth it
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:11:32 AM

Definitely not the motherboard, works with a terrible psu i got at staples. I am getting my fataility RMA, hopefully that will help
m
l
!