Adding USB 3.0 Header To My System To Work With CM HAF 922

tackyjan

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hello All!!

I just received my Cooler Master HAF 922 case from the Egg today and whenever I was putting together my system I noticed that the plug for the front USB 3.0 connections doesn't fit anywhere in my MB. :(

I have done some research and I believe I know what I need I just want to run it by some people to make sure before I buy it.

First of all.. here is my case: Case

I found a picture that looks just like the cable my case uses:

cooler_master_storm_enforcer_usb3_header.jpg

And here is the product that I think will work for me:

Card

So in summary, I need to be able to plugin the front USB 3.0 panel of my new HAF 922 case but my motherboard does not have that connector. So I need to get an add-on card to allow me to use it.

Thanks!

Jan

Solution

Oh well it looks like you beat me to it lol. That PCI card will work perfectly for you. The only problem would be is knowing if the header is long enough to reach the card.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
That header is plugged into the motherboard. More of the modern motherboards, like mine for example the ASRock Extreme 4. Has a plugin on the motherboard where that goes to. The reason case manufactures have used this cable is to eliminate having to drag a USB 3 cable all the way to the back of your case to plug into a USB 3 slot on the motherboard. They do have adapters for them, when I find one I'll post the link here.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Youll need something like this, then plug a USB 3 cable to it and plug it into the back of your motherboard to be able to use your front panel usb 3.

http://www.cablesnetc.com/usb-3-0-a-female-to-box-header-20pin-male-adapter-gold-plated/

tackyjan

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

I think I have already found what I need.. here are two USB 3.0 cards at Newegg:

Syba SD-PEX20122
Syba SY-PEX20140

Any idea what the difference between those two are?

Thanks!

Rammy

Honorable
It should work fine but you might have issues with cable lengths as the distance from a top front panel might be awkward/blocked by stuff.
It's not a bad cheap solution, but I'd check you have plenty of cable to play with first.

tackyjan

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think about checking the cable length first! :O

tackyjan

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Hrm.. is that an alternative to using an IO card or is that my only solution? Also, I noticed it says 20 pin but the IO cards I posted say 19?? I am getting confused! :)

tackyjan

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

That is precisely the one I was looking at!

I have a more generic question... when something says it's USB 3.0 compliant does that guarantee it to work at some specific rate (data) or does it only have to do with the connectors? I guess what I am getting at is, is there a chance that one of the IO cards I am looking at is faster than the other or is the speed the same since they are all USB 3.0?

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Oh well it looks like you beat me to it lol. That PCI card will work perfectly for you. The only problem would be is knowing if the header is long enough to reach the card.

Solution

tackyjan

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

I posted two of them... not sure which one to get. Do you think both of them would perform pretty much the same?

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

It means that it works with all things that are compliant with USB 3.0. Like phone chargers, ipod connectors, external hdd's and things like that. USB 3.0's highest rate is 5 gb/s.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Yeah, and as for your 19pin question, that is actually what the header is. It uses 19pin to work and the 20th is just like a dummy, just to make sure you cant plug it in the wrong way.