Sign in with
Your question

I5-3570K @ 3.8GHz + stock fan = 80deg under load?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2012 4:22:14 AM

Spoiler
General Info:
So I have replaced the main parts of my PC. I kept some old parts;
800W PSU, Antec P182 case, SATA2 and 1 HDDs.
Got:
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 16GB Vengeance CL9
Gainward GeForce GTX670 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Intel i5-3570K

Useless info:
GPU temp under Idle: 38deg

Problem:
In order to make the motherboard use all 1600MHz of the ram instead of 1333MHz, I had to use the XMP profile in the BIOS. This also clocked my CPU from 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz. This is not much of a "overclock" but with STOCK CPU FAN I did not expect more.

As you know this is Ivy Bridge and has a reputation of high temperatures.

Under 3.8GHz clock, i get:
Idle(normal browsing etc): 40-45deg
Load (after only 3 min): up to 80deg, then I stopped it.

This is not good right?
Or is Ivy Bridge having "higher temp standard" and therefore tolerates this kind of temps?
Do I need to add a CPU fan or something? Or just downclock again? (I honestly don't want to buy a CPU fan and take out the whole motherboard to install it yet)
Can I turn up the fan speed of stock CPU fan maybe?

More about : 3570k 8ghz stock fan 80deg load

a c 109 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:02:31 AM

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of CPU-Z while your CPU is running the stress-test? I'm not too certain, but there is a possibility that the XMP Profile also increased your CPU's voltage with the minor overclock.

I would also highly recommend checking to see if your Intel Heatsink is properly applied. If one of the push-pins isn't fully pushed in, this may cause your temperatures to rise significantly.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:25:49 AM

Agreed that making sure the heatsink is properly seated. Maybe try and replace with better thermal paste or get a cheap good heatsink like the hyper 212 evo and your temps will massively drop and you can overclock more.

Might be worthwhile :) 
Related resources
November 15, 2012 1:09:56 PM

Here is how CPU-Z + RealTemp looked:
http://i.imgur.com/4Q6wR.png
There is an "auto voltage thing" (don't remember the name) in the BIOS that is enabled so it changes voltage depending on load etc.

I have now turned off turbo mode in the BIOS and after around 30min of primer95, the temperature is at 61-66deg. That's not too bad.

I opened and checked the CPU fan to see if it was properly seated, and it is

I guess I have to keep it un-clocked untill I get a good heatsink.
I guess I should buy a Hyper 212 Evo or even a Noctua NH-D14 ASAP...

Thanks for all help :) 
a c 190 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 1:46:57 PM

First I would change to a 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) like the Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo. However there are a couple things that you should be mindful of. With the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors you can reach up to 105c. I don't like to run anything over about 80C but you won't damage the processor in this range. Also when you are running an application like the Prime95 or IBT you are going to be running the processor harder than ever would under normal usage. Also I have seen some funny reading with RealTemp I would change over to HWMonitor.
a c 110 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 2:05:02 PM

I think they get heat issues when you bump up the voltage when overclocking.
November 15, 2012 3:35:10 PM

I have done something wrong now...

When I first went into BIOS, there was some set manual settings. After setting it to XMP, and trying to go back to "optimized defaults", my PC is going bananas. "Optimized defaults" is basicly auto on everything.
The CPU core speed and voltage is just going up and down whenever it wants. It is actually going way to high up, according to CPU-Z, seeing sometimes over 4000. I also got a warning from the AI Suite 2 where it said something about "Voltage 12V", so I just turned the PC off.

I changed back to the XMP setting immediatly. Meaning I now still have 3.8GHz overclock.

I now use CPUID HWmonitor to check the temperatures.

The core voltage and core speed is still going up and down whenever it wants. Probably becuase of the SpeedStep technology, but that was enabled before when the settings was on manual as well.

At Idle the CPU goes to 1.6MHz most of the time and gives me a temperature of around 34-39deg average.

At load it gives me 73-78deg again...

BTW; Is there a way to get back the standard "manual" settings I had in BIOS? I can't remember the values at all.
a c 110 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 3:38:48 PM

You want to reset it back to defaults?

Turn off the PC, on the motherboard there should be a battery, take it out, wait for a few minutes then put it back in shiny side up.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:22:33 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Also I have seen some funny reading with RealTemp I would change over to HWMonitor.

Can you post a screen shot of that? The only funny thing I have seen on the 3rd Generation Core i CPUs is that HWMonitor reports the maximum core temperatures lower than RealTemp, Core Temp and Open Hardware Monitor by about 5C or 6C. For accurate core temperatures, I would avoid HWMonitor.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:31:10 PM

unclewebb said:
Can you post a screen shot of that? The only funny thing I have seen on the 3rd Generation Core i CPUs is that HWMonitor reports the maximum core temperatures lower than RealTemp, Core Temp and Open Hardware Monitor by about 5C or 6C. For accurate core temperatures, I would avoid HWMonitor.

that guy works for Intel, i would trust his knowledge when it comes to Intel CPU temps and programs that monitor it.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:46:59 PM

envyqt said:
I have done something wrong now...

When I first went into BIOS, there was some set manual settings. After setting it to XMP, and trying to go back to "optimized defaults", my PC is going bananas. "Optimized defaults" is basicly auto on everything.
The CPU core speed and voltage is just going up and down whenever it wants. It is actually going way to high up, according to CPU-Z, seeing sometimes over 4000. I also got a warning from the AI Suite 2 where it said something about "Voltage 12V", so I just turned the PC off.

I changed back to the XMP setting immediatly. Meaning I now still have 3.8GHz overclock.

I now use CPUID HWmonitor to check the temperatures.

The core voltage and core speed is still going up and down whenever it wants. Probably becuase of the SpeedStep technology, but that was enabled before when the settings was on manual as well.

At Idle the CPU goes to 1.6MHz most of the time and gives me a temperature of around 34-39deg average.

At load it gives me 73-78deg again...

BTW; Is there a way to get back the standard "manual" settings I had in BIOS? I can't remember the values at all.

do what jay nar said to do unless there is a CMOS button on your motherboard. then, if you want your RAM to run full speed, instead of turning on XMP (which seems to be buggy on your board if it is OCing your CPU) just overclock your RAM to the manufacturers default speeds and timings. that is what i did with my corsair vengeance which also didn't come running at the right speeds (1600MHz) so i just clocked it myself to 9-9-9-24 1600MHz. then i overclocked it to 9-10-9-27 1866MHz which is corsairs default speeds for their 1866MHz RAM.

if you want too, overclock your CPU manually. i would try re-seating the heatsink first though because those temps were pretty high. my 3770k hits about 70c when OCd to 4.2GHz on the stock fan when running prime95 after 12 hours. 65c with my hyper212+. although for some reason my 3770k runs the OC at a quite lower voltage than the normal 3770k, (i got one of those lucky chips) so naturally my temps are a bit lower.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:20:18 AM

marshal11 said:
that guy works for Intel, i would trust his knowledge when it comes to Intel CPU temps and programs that monitor it.

Just because someone works for Intel does not make them an expert when it comes to CPU core temperature monitoring software.

All core temperature monitoring software reads the exact same core temperature data from the exact same register within the CPU. HWMonitor is the only monitoring program I have found that under reports the maximum core temperatures on the Ivy Bridge CPUs when they are fully loaded. I have no idea why but I definitely wouldn't use it or recommend that other people use it if they are interested in finding their peak core temperature.

Do your own testing and see for yourself.
a c 78 à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:56:15 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
You want to reset it back to defaults?

Turn off the PC, on the motherboard there should be a battery, take it out, wait for a few minutes then put it back in shiny side up.

I unplug the power supply before I do the battery trick.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 4:13:41 AM

unclewebb said:
Just because someone works for Intel does not make them an expert when it comes to CPU core temperature monitoring software.

All core temperature monitoring software reads the exact same core temperature data from the exact same register within the CPU. HWMonitor is the only monitoring program I have found that under reports the maximum core temperatures on the Ivy Bridge CPUs when they are fully loaded. I have no idea why but I definitely wouldn't use it or recommend that other people use it if they are interested in finding their peak core temperature.

Do your own testing and see for yourself.

I did do my own testing. I wouldn't have said that if i haven't. I got the same readings from HWmonitor as I did from coretemp, speedfan, and even the inside Windows BIOS (Click BIOS II/Control Center) on my MSI motherboard.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 4:36:05 AM

If you did your own testing then post your results.

Here are my results.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7651/comparisonsg.pn...

HWMonitor is reporting the peak core temperature on Core 0 6C less than RealTemp or Core Temp. It reports Core 1 5C too low, core 2 6C too low and core 3 is 5C to 6C too low as well.

This was during a steady full load test. When the core temperatures are varying more rapidly, the difference can be even greater.

Try running the above full load test and take a screen shot every minute for the first 5 minutes. Every other monitoring program I have tested reports higher core temperatures. Why is that? Are they all wrong and HWMonitor is right? I don't think so.

My results also show that the maximum VCore is wrong, the Min VIN1 and +3.3V are wrong, the +5V and VIN 4 Max are wrong, the CPUTIN and AUXTIN at 2C are wrong, the CPUTIN at 84C is wrong, the AUXFAN1 Min and Max are both wrong. So much information in CPUID Hardware Monitor (HWMonitor) is completely wrong that I have to ask, why would anyone recommend it?
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 9:39:42 AM

That's definitely strange. I will post my results sometime soon, as I don't have access to my desktop right now.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 5:08:24 PM

HWMonitor 1.21
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This new version released on November 11, 2012 now reports the same peak core temperatures on Ivy Bridge CPUs that other monitoring programs report. The peak core temperature problems I was having with version 1.20 have been fixed.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 8:53:53 PM

Ahh that's why. I downloaded it and used it 2 days before I first replied to this post.

Edit: Apologies to the poster for having our own little conversation on your post. :lol: 
November 17, 2012 10:46:18 PM

envyqt said:
Spoiler
General Info:
So I have replaced the main parts of my PC. I kept some old parts;
800W PSU, Antec P182 case, SATA2 and 1 HDDs.
Got:
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 16GB Vengeance CL9
Gainward GeForce GTX670 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Intel i5-3570K

Useless info:
GPU temp under Idle: 38deg

Problem:
In order to make the motherboard use all 1600MHz of the ram instead of 1333MHz, I had to use the XMP profile in the BIOS. This also clocked my CPU from 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz. This is not much of a "overclock" but with STOCK CPU FAN I did not expect more.

As you know this is Ivy Bridge and has a reputation of high temperatures.

Under 3.8GHz clock, i get:
Idle(normal browsing etc): 40-45deg
Load (after only 3 min): up to 80deg, then I stopped it.

This is not good right?
Or is Ivy Bridge having "higher temp standard" and therefore tolerates this kind of temps?
Do I need to add a CPU fan or something? Or just downclock again? (I honestly don't want to buy a CPU fan and take out the whole motherboard to install it yet)
Can I turn up the fan speed of stock CPU fan maybe?

If you wanted to stick with your stock cpu fan i would really set the speed to ramp up higher at a lower temperature. If you have 35 bucks to spare, and an hour or two of time to kill, i would purchase a hyper 212 evo, here is the link to it;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!