How Long Will My Parts Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Generally speaking, your CPU should be the last thing to die, even with overclocks. Other components inside your rig will age very quickly, on the other hand.

Though, this shouldn't get you too worried as I've seen on average, old, old rigs lasting 5-6 years+. With the quality of components today compared to yesterday, I'm pretty sure your rig will last until the things in it becomes obsolete.
Generally speaking, your CPU should be the last thing to die, even with overclocks. Other components inside your rig will age very quickly, on the other hand.

Though, this shouldn't get you too worried as I've seen on average, old, old rigs lasting 5-6 years+. With the quality of components today compared to yesterday, I'm pretty sure your rig will last until the things in it becomes obsolete.

Solution

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Well I have good cooling and good parts. The fans are always blowing out cold air, even after playing battlefield 3 for 10 hours straight.

Good cooling and good parts? That's always a plus :)

If you're using a quality PSU, that shouldn't die on you within the next few years as well, so as long as you're using something robust to supply power, you should be 100% fine.

Just be sure to maintain your components and make sure that there isn't a lot of dust build-up and whatnot. This will often times cause a part to fail more often than time :lol:

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I may get dust filters although my PSU is a XFX 750w and my system uses 500w at full load (GPU benchmarks and prime95 at the same time).

pyro226

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Really depends on the quality of items and luck. Individually, the parts can last several years. Parts like the power supply, hdd/ssd, and motherboards can die on their own. Cheap motherboards used in pre-built computers used to be have problems with dying capacitors (idk about modern pre-built systems). Poor quality power supplies can damage the motherboard or other components if they short out. Ram can go bad if it gets electrically shocked (easy to test ram from a boot CD though). I personally haven't seen GPU or CPUs die on their own.

If I remember correctly, that particular PSU is made by Seasonic; very high quality. I'm not sure of your other system specs, but if your motherboard is from a very reliable manufacturer, I have no doubt that you shouldn't encounter any major problems within the next few years.

Of course, there is no knowing of what may happen; some freak accident may occur that bricks your motherboard, etc.

Long story short, with components and how reliable they are today, don't worry. If something dies, oh well, I don't think there was much you could do to save it :) There's always a chance of a piece of hardware failing and you never know when that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.