Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

USB Ports not working

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 6, 2012 3:39:16 AM

Hello

Just yesterday I bought all the parts and constructed my first homebuilt PC
The specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-6100
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte 990FXA UD3
GPU: Sapphire HD7770 GHZ Edition
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X (2x4GB) 1600MHz
HDD: Western Digital Blue Edition 1TB
SSD: OCZ Agility3 60GB

I spend all of yesterday building then installing all of the drivers and now today, just
out if the blue, when I rebooted (not for the first time) the computer none of my peripherals
worked. I tried them in all the USB slots and none of them work so it must be the USB ports that
are not working. I have no idea how to fix this. I thought it might be a problem in the BIOS but I
have no way of accessing it. I also cant reinstall windows because neither my keyboard or mouse work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Patrick

*EDIT* I fixed the problem by cleaing my CMOS. Thanks everyone for your help

More about : usb ports working

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 4:29:08 AM

assuming you installed the motherboard drivers right after windows... AND BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE



you could try going to device manager and manually removing the USB entries and then rebooting
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 6, 2012 4:30:36 AM

That is going to be hard to do without a keyboard or mouse. Do u have a ps2 port you can use on your mbod for keyboard? Have you tried re-setting your cmos?
Share
July 6, 2012 4:34:14 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
your sure you updated your usb etron 3.0 and installed it
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

also make sure you installed the latest bios version
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

f8 is the newest so download that



Outlander_04 said:
assuming you installed the motherboard drivers right after windows... AND BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE



you could try going to device manager and manually removing the USB entries and then rebooting


Thanks for your responces but unfortunately, because neither my keyboard or mouse work, I cannot
do either of those things
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 4:36:44 AM

terryd75 said:
That is going to be hard to do without a keyboard or mouse. Do u have a ps2 port you can use on your mbod for keyboard? Have you tried re-setting your cmos?


Thanks for your responce,
I do have a ps2 port but unfortunately I dont have a ps2 keyboard or mouse. I have not however tried
re-setting my cmos. How would one go about re-setting their cmos?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 4:48:41 AM

well you could use the control panel... oh *** i guess you cant :( 

do you have any other HDD from other computers
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 4:52:29 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
well you could use the control panel... oh *** i guess you cant :( 

do you have any other HDD from other computers


No unfortuntely I dont have any other hard drives but if I were to get one
how would that help?
Thanks
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:01:05 AM

you could start off a new one so you can rule out that its a driver issue and the say its a mobo issue
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:01:24 AM

oh do you have any legacy keyboards?
m
0
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:05:49 AM

does your mouse work in BIOS?

That should tell you if its a hardware problem , or a windows software problem

If its a software problem and you have no legacy ps2 port and/or no keyboard then the easy fix is to format the hard drive using the windows install disk , reinstall windows and then run the mb driver disk again
before proceeding with reinstalling other software
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 5:06:39 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
oh do you have any legacy keyboards?


Unfortunately not
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 5:08:11 AM

Outlander_04 said:
does your mouse work in BIOS?

That should tell you if its a hardware problem , or a windows software problem

If its a software problem and you have no legacy ps2 port and/or no keyboard then the easy fix is to format the hard drive using the windows install disk , reinstall windows and then run the mb driver disk again
before proceeding with reinstalling other software


I cant enter the BIOS because my keyboard doesn't work and I also can't reinstall windows for the same reason
Thanks anyway
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:10:06 AM

yes you can... well no you cant... sorry dude but the only way you can fix this is if you get a hdd(or at least thats what i think)
m
0
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:14:10 AM

patevs said:
I cant enter the BIOS because my keyboard doesn't work and I also can't reinstall windows for the same reason
Thanks anyway



is it a wireless keyboard?

If it is then you need one with wires


If it isnt then you need to RMA the mb
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 6, 2012 5:22:22 AM

yes you can if you remove your hdd, and cd drive before you boot
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 5:32:33 AM

Best answer selected by PatEvs.
m
0
l
!