Sign in with
Your question

What kind of monitor cable is this, and what will drive it?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 13, 2012 1:51:31 AM

Does anybody know what kind of graphics card I need to drive this monitor? I don't have much information, but the machine in question is a rugged PC. It's essentially an ATX case with a built in monitor on one side, and a full size removable keyboard. As I have it, it's got mobo (ASUS CUV4X) and CD-ROM. Seems to boot to a beep OK, but the graphics card has been taken. The built in monitor has a cable coming from it, that ends in the plug shown in the picture (2 rows of 20 holes). If I could put a name to it I'd have a chance of getting an appropriate graphics card!

Appreciate any help!

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r559/AndyDove34/P10...

Andy

More about : kind monitor cable drive

a c 254 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2012 2:19:21 AM

That looks loke an IDE plug and those are usually connected to a hard drive and not a monitor. I don't know of any current card that has that kind of connection.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:40:46 AM

I guess it does look a little like an 40-conductor IDE cable, but the photo does not show the scale very well. An IDE cable is a little over 2in wide, but this connector is almost exactly 1in wide.

The case looks pretty similar (but not identical) to this:
http://www.ajaxsys.com/ap-x9.html

/Andy
m
l
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2012 2:48:59 AM

The computer in the link you provided says that it has intergrated video on the motherboard , is there a socket on your motherboard that the plug you have will fit. Maybe your computer has intergrated video on the motherboard and that plug is how the monitor connects to it.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:58:46 AM

No, I examined the board pretty closely for a plug. It's actually an ASUS CUV4X, which relies on its AGP-Pro slot for graphics. Nothing built in. My wife is about to start a school course and we were looking for a PC for her. This old machine came up at work as "e-waste" and I thought I'd try and recycle it, but I need to figure out what runs the monitor first.

PS, The mobo is described at http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/1/cuv4x-102.p...

Thanks for your help this this!
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2012 3:16:16 AM

If the computer is an all in one type then the video connection is done by that 20 pin plug only ? If that's the case then the AGP video card had to have a 20 pin socket on it for that monitor plug and that maybe a special order for that Pc model. There could also be a seperate riser card for that plug and that riser card was connected to the agp card. Is there anything else that the monitor has for a port for a monitor cable to plug into?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 3:35:53 AM

It looks a lot like the plug inside a netbook I took apart once that connects to the lcd screen
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:46:13 PM

@at GI_JONES. That would probably make sense. Guess i need to find an agp graphics card that has such a riser. I'll see what i can find.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:17:02 PM

yea i havent seen any video card with that connection, even really old ones, i can tell by the pci and other slots on the picture that it is probably pre-windows xp? 2000 or 98 maybe? if so, you may actually want to just get a newer one for cheap online, ibm has some old thinkcentres on newegg for like 150$.. probably better buy, and they would be more compatible with newer prograns etc.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:58:52 PM

Sadly, I'm coming to the same conclusion. I can relatively easily upgrade the mobo, cpu, PSU etc if really required (I was thinking not), but I was really hoping to keep the case since it has built in monitor / keyboard / touch pad / speakers etc. The case alone is worth $1500+, and I was thinking even a run-of-the-mill video card would be $50. The wife only needs WinXP for her course, so that's OK. But that blasted monitor connector is really killing the idea off. Yes, I could get an old thinkcenter or something, but then I need to add keyb, monitor etc. Arghhh.

Incidentally, this is what the case looks like (albeit an earlier generation).

http://www.ajaxsys.com/ap-i9.html

Officially sad now ;-)
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2012 4:37:09 PM

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/content/a...

In looking at these pictures of old video cards you can see there is a pin connection on the PCB itself and this is what you are looking for.
The computer model may be a special edition series that Asus put out and they either made a video card specificly for it or had another company do it. A big company like Asus can get a video card maker to produce a special order for them because they would be ordering in bulk. These cards would be designed specificly for that computer. If there was a way to get a model number of that card then you could do a google search for it and at this point there's no sense to replacing the motherboard because of the monitor and that plug. Unless as you have said that the plug resembles the same plug that is found in a laptop to connect the screen to the motherboard. If the pin count was the same then you could concievably put a laptop motherboard in there so you could connect the monitor.
m
l
a c 96 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2012 6:31:23 PM

general info my son had this one asus cuv4x-d for dual processor and it use a agp regular graphic this one is still in use and working with xp, if the poster could tell us where that cable goes at the other end or post a picture of that other end see this picture af front panel connector on the board
m
l
May 13, 2012 7:04:52 PM

scout_03 said:
general info my son had this one asus cuv4x-d for dual processor and it use a agp regular graphic this one is still in use and working with xp, if the poster could tell us where that cable goes at the other end or post a picture of that other end see this picture af front panel connector on the board

Hello Scout,
So the case has the built in monitor, which tilts out from the case. The cable simply comes out from the monitor case, into the main part of the case where the mobo is, and terminates in this 40-pin inch long IDE plug (above I said it was 20pin, but actually it is 20x2rows). I'll go take more photo's and post onto my photobucket site. Standby...
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:02:23 PM

andy, you said yourself it was worth a lot of money, sell teh whole thing for 1000, buy a refurb pc, maybe the ibm, then buy a say, 17-19" monitor, 20$ for a keyboard, it will probably have slightly higher performance, so it will be useful for longer, the thinkcentres are small and not to heavy, and you will probably only be spending say, 300-350$, and making 650-700$ in return, sounds liek a good deal to me.
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:18:51 AM

@Mildgamer. I can;t really sell it as it doesn't work. That doesn't feel right to me. Without a functional graphics card and hence monitor it's just an exceptionally heavy case with one shiny side.

Still...

@ Scout: Here is a photo of the other end of the cable. It enters the back of the panel directly.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r559/AndyDove34/P10...
Does this help? Now I can see the label, I searched under the NEC model name and found out that it needs a LVDS interface. Now we are getting somewhere. Anybody know much about LVDS?
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:37:00 AM

I think I'm really at the bottom of this thread now. After an exhaustive search there are graphics cards out there that will support this monitor (they have 40-pin LVDS outputs), but they are under the heading 'industrial computers' and the prices are a factor of 10 more than consumer grade. For that sort of money I'm better of going a different route.

Thanks for your help!
/Andy
m
l
a c 96 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 14, 2012 2:10:56 AM

that connector go to the screen this is the specs 14.1 LCD Panel (XGA 1024X768) for NEC (SUB), i think that this board whas not the original one on that system
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:18:24 PM

why would it feel wrong selling it, plainly state in your lsiting or whatever that it needs a special graphics card, and that you are selling it as 1. a retro/legacy computer possibly for collentors, or 2. much less than what they normally sell for, dont sell it as if it were new or perfect, btu dont sell it for like 50$, as (like you said) just the case itself is worth 1500 new. if it looks goo you could sell just the case for maybe 1000, and with all the parts, if you want even mention that it is somewhat rare. if the buyer knows it doenst work, then you are nto ripping anyone off, they know what they are buying.
m
l
!