key shortcut for 'up one level'

In mac-land, there is a nifty little shortcut (ctrl+up arrow) that you can
use in the finder to go up to the containing folder of whatever directory
you are in.
Does windows explorer have any similar function?
(If not, how could you hack this into xp?)

When opening and saving files, I would really like to be able to navigate
with the keyboard instead of always reaching for the mouse.

Thanks in advance
--
Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design

"Michael 23" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>In mac-land, there is a nifty little shortcut (ctrl+up arrow) that you can
>use in the finder to go up to the containing folder of whatever directory
>you are in.
>Does windows explorer have any similar function?

Left arrow works, as Trevor says, in the directory tree (left-hand
pane of the two-pane setup).

In the files pane (right pane, or the only pane of the one-pane
setup), it's Backspace not Left arrow.

wow, it really is that easy.
thanks!

--
Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com
Affordable Small Business Website Solutions

> "Michael 23" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>In mac-land, there is a nifty little shortcut (ctrl+up arrow) that you can
>>use in the finder to go up to the containing folder of whatever directory
>>you are in.
>>Does windows explorer have any similar function?
>
> Left arrow works, as Trevor says, in the directory tree (left-hand
> pane of the two-pane setup).
>
> In the files pane (right pane, or the only pane of the one-pane
> setup), it's Backspace not Left arrow.

Hi Michael,

Press backspace to go up one level.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> In mac-land, there is a nifty little shortcut (ctrl+up arrow) that you can use in the finder to go
> up to the containing folder of whatever directory you are in.
> Does windows explorer have any similar function?
> (If not, how could you hack this into xp?)
>
> When opening and saving files, I would really like to be able to navigate with the keyboard
> instead of always reaching for the mouse.
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Michael Evangelista
> Southern Utah Web Design
> www.suwebs.com
> Affordable Small Business Website Solutions

thanks, david. great list!