Will AMD Never Get The High End CPUs Agin?

Not particularly. Last time AMD was around $2 per share, they jumped by $10 per share in less than a year. With AMD now making tablet CPUs, their increasing market share in the still growing laptop/netbook(not so much netbook, but w/e)/ultrabook markets, their still doing well graphics markets, improving server/super computer market (that *new* super computer with about 49,000 Opterons had to have helped a little), and more, they can rebound again, especially with how good Steamroller is set to turn out to be since it's alleviating the front-end bottle-neck of the Bulldozer and Piledriver architectures.

Also, your link is broken.

That link's from 2007, lol. AMD has succeeded Nvidia in the fastest graphics card in the world (7970 GHx Edition and 7990/7970X2) and although it's not stellar, Piledriver is at least competitive with Intel in many markets. Will AMD ever have the best CPU again? Maybe not, but they'll probably continue to be competitive with a few rough patches here or there.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

No, NVIDIA has the GTX 690.
Well that and I think my pie broke while I was teaching my llama to drive.

Tom's demonstrated that the 690 is not quite as fast as the 7990s overall :p Also that it's an overall inferior card thanks to its crap power efficiency, but it's still faster. A lose in my book as the card, but I will not ignore its performance win despite disliking the card.

LOL :) If AMD's next lineup improves on Piledriver as well as Piledriver improved on Bulldozer, and if Intel's next lineup improves on Ivy Bridge as much as Ivy Bridge improved on Sandy Bridge, they'll have some genuinely competitive options. Intel might make a bit more effort now though after seeing how much of an improvement Piledriver was. Let's hope so anyway.

Now if only AMD would fix their crap cache... Then, they could really surprise Intel.

It doesn't really matter who is on top, as long as there is genuine competition. Intel have demonstrated time and again that they're capable of massive advances in performance, but will only bother if pushed by the competition. I think the K6-2, Athlon (originals) and especially Athlon XP, Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 really took Intel by surprise and made them realise that they'll fall behind if all they're going to do is bump up clock speeds and refine the lithography.

Now they're wanting to have plenty of ideas up their sleeves (and according to interviews with anon Intel engineers, they really do), but won't invest in developing, manufacturing and marketing those ideas unless they absolutely have to. Intel also invest a colossal amount of development time into testing and it's a major financial investment. Intel are hardly strapped for cash, but I guess you can never have too much money :)

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
u cannot judge some one to be perfect neither intel or amd they both are good brand
as compared to price performance ratio just those who using amd they say amd and those who using intel they say intel is winner this is not true intel came before then amd so they have more experience in design the cpu as amd is new in the market and very good compete with intel since future will tell us which one is best intel inside or future is fusion amd u cant judge they both are good

Intel used anti-competitive practices such as paying companies to not use any AMD CPUs to get where they are. I guess that can be called "good management".

All things considered, there's a pretty good chance Steamroller will never see the light of day. Piledriver and Trinity 1.1 will be the high-end CPUs from AMD probably for the next 2 years according to S/A, TR, etc.

With AMD's revenue down an incredible $1.072 billion from 2 years ago, they are experiencing a big cash crunch right now, so I'm expecting them to announce yet another round of layoffs during the Q4 earnings conference sometime in January. And I would not be surprised to see them go under by this time next year. They are already exploring options with one of the big financiers..

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
"Let’s hope that AMD’s fortunes in 2008 change for the better because as an industry we need AMD to continue to innovate and deliver great choice to consumers."

This is one hell of an old article to go trolling with.

Remember too that AMD have since offloaded their manufacturing process. We are currently experiencing a very deep cash cruch, commonly referred to as the "GFC,"you might have heard about it. And it also ignores the global trend away from PC's to hand held devices.

On top of that AMD is in the midst of this environment establishing it's own platform and has very different end goals from that of Intel. If there is aproblem with the power and functionallity with AMD hardware, I say, bring it on, 'cause, as extensive, no, an exlusive user of their parts, I haven't noticed any deficiences in them at all.

My biggest problem is to find logic to justify upgrading, which is probably the main reason why AMD seems to have shot itself in the foot...ie too good, too compatible, too cheap, and all too easy to upgrade.

Heres an example of a 9 year old AMD DELL laptop of all things, that I purchased for my son to complete his schooling with, and it was second hand then...it was a Sempron originally....

Hi Dad,

Thought i'd just send through the progress of my last upgrade.
I've put the new ssd/hybrid 750gb momentus, 8gb of 800mhz ddr2, internal blu-ray burner and windows 7 x64 on the laptop.
Even the USB 3 installs with windows 7 x64 without the driver disk.
All running fine and much faster...

....now that's impressive.

overall WEI 3.0

HDD = 5.9
RAM = 5.8
CPU = 5.2
ATI Radeon Express = 3.0 (only untouched item, but can also be upgraded and is looking into it.)
Aaron