Breadboarding - trying to narrow down

cdog87

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
This is regarding a completely new build that's giving me problems.

I've gone through the guide and most all the steps:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

The guide says.
>> If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps.

But what's happening to me is that I'm getting the three beeps, then the system restarts on its own, which seems odd to me.

In terms of troubleshooting:
Both power cables are plugged in the motherboard and are firm and secure.
Nothing else is plugged in to the motherboard, no RAM or any other connector, only CPU and CPU fan.
I've checked the CPU pins for damage, seems OK to me.

Specs:
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel I5 3570k 3.4, stock cpu fan
Ultra LSP 550 PRO PSU

My question is, should my motherboard or PSU reset automatically after I get the three long beeps indicating no RAM?

Does this mean I have a bad PSU, because even breadboarding with this minimal setup the system it reseting itself after the three beeps indicating no RAM.

cdog87

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
OK, just did that. Got no beeps and then it rebooted the same as it did without any RAM. Without RAM, shouldn't it just stay on though and not reboot itself after the beeps?

I also rotated through three other sticks of RAM one at at time and got the same result.

GSKILL DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2 (four of them) 8-8-8-24

cdog87

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
The motherboard is sitting on a plywood table on top of the motherboard risers, which I re-attached after removing it from the case.

I'm starting the boot with the power button on the motherboard.