Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel's i7 3770K or AMD FX 8150?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 15, 2012 6:29:28 AM

Hi Guys,

I am looking for an upgrade to my existing Desktop PC, and the search for the best CPU in my budget has left me in a dilemma. I have been working on Intel Platform for around last many years. I think that my system is looking for a serious upgrade. I am looking for a CPU in my budget that suits my needs. I work on some serious coding (using VS 2010, Eclipse, NetBeans, Dreamweaver etc)/ graphics designing (Photoshop/ Fireworks/Illustrator/Gimp/Inkscape/3DS Max/ Maya), and at times some casual gaming (Max payne/Crysis). Means too much of processing power & good multi threading is required.

I have sorted out two of the all the Processors:

Intel i7 3770K (Or may be 2600K)
AMD 3.6 GHz AM3+ FX 8150 Processor

My dilemma is that, I haven't used an AMD platform ever and I know that at times there are big gaps when it comes to performance (there are lot of people out there saying AMD's FX 8150 stands just over the Intel's i5 2500K). And that's a known fact that i7 3770K is far more superior that FX 8150, but there is a big difference between there prices as well. At a local store I am getting Intel's i7 3770K at INR 19500 where as the FX 8150 is somewhere around INR 11000 (while i7 2600K is somewhere around INR 18500).

There is a big difference but in case if I'll get a performance of AMD's close to even i7 2600K, I'll go for the AMD as I am getting a difference of around INR 8500. I have to get a motherboard in both the cases so its an added cost.

My current configuration (excluding the CPU and Motherboard):

RAM: 2x4 GB DDR3 (Kingston).
PSU: Corsair CX-430
Monitor: 22" AOC (LED - Full HD)
GPU: POWERCOLOR ATI 5770 1GB DDR5
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Cooler

And please answer keeping your fanboy(Intel or AMD, though I am myself an Intel's fanboy) sense away. I need good multitasking, processing power and lastly the Budget. Do take care of the pros and cost of both the processors.

More about : intel 3770k amd 8150

a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:49:33 AM

the i7 3770k is far better then fx 8150 in singlethreaded apps.the i7 3770k is better for all thing that you need and if gaming doesnt matter to you then save money and get the fx 8150 with 990fx mobo.

i m also a indian and i know the value of money.i will say you to just buy a fx 8150 for rs 9000 less then i7 3770k because in encoding and graphic design the fx 8150 is very good it will just clear up your need and it will play all the games that you need to play it will give just 5-7 fps less then i7 3770k but for price the fx 8150 is a good buy.:) '

can you wait for fx 8350?it will be launched in india soon.fx 8350 has 15-20% more better performance then fx 8150.it will be priced similar or rs 1000 more.

if u wanna buy now then go for fx 8150 because it is far less in price and you need to do only serious encoding and graphical desining.its good for what you need go for it!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:49:57 AM

In gaming performance there isn't a huge difference but it is still in intel's favor. This is more so in CPU limited games.

In 3D rendering apps the i7 is very much ahead giving you faster performance and less power draw.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/L/G/310516/original/3ds%20...

Thats AMD vs the i7 2600k.

Admittedly the difference lessens in some applications but in others that you will use is large enough difference.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:54:38 AM

Since most of the work you're doing is highly multi-threaded, I would highly recommend taking a look at the FX-8350. The Piledriver chips are actually very decent for this type of work and if you're willing to overclock, you'll get performance somewhere between the i5 3570k and i7 3770k; that's not a very bad trade-off for something costing significantly less :) 

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

I know for a fact DJDecibel had a better link than this, but I can't find the thread he linked it on.
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:55:28 AM

darth pravus said:
In gaming performance there isn't a huge difference but it is still in intel's favor. This is more so in CPU limited games.

In 3D rendering apps the i7 is very much ahead giving you faster performance and less power draw.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/L/G/310516/original/3ds%20...

Thats AMD vs the i7 2600k.

Admittedly the difference lessens in some applications but in others that you will use is large enough difference.

Hopefully the prices of the new Piledriver chips isn't ridiculous for OP; I'm actually very fond of the 8350.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 7:35:13 AM

sunnk said:
the i7 3770k is far better then fx 8150 in singlethreaded apps.the i7 3770k is better for all thing that you need and if gaming doesnt matter to you then save money and get the fx 8150 with 990fx mobo.

i m also a indian and i know the value of money.i will say you to just buy a fx 8150 for rs 9000 less then i7 3770k because in encoding and graphic design the fx 8150 is very good it will just clear up your need and it will play all the games that you need to play it will give just 5-7 fps less then i7 3770k but for price the fx 8150 is a good buy.:) '

can you wait for fx 8350?it will be launched in india soon.fx 8350 has 15-20% more better performance then fx 8150.it will be priced similar or rs 1000 more.

if u wanna buy now then go for fx 8150 because it is far less in price and you need to do only serious encoding and graphical desining.its good for what you need go for it!


Thanks, sunnk..

Well, actually budget is not the ultimate thing at which I am looking at, (my budget is close to around INR 22-25K). What I want is to know, is it worth spending that much if I can get what I want in less? I mean if I take the FX 8350 priced somewhere around INR 13K (that you mentioned, and is not currently available in India) and i7 2600K or the 3770K, what am I going to get in performance thing apart from a big difference in costs.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 7:41:34 AM

darth pravus said:
In gaming performance there isn't a huge difference but it is still in intel's favor. This is more so in CPU limited games.

In 3D rendering apps the i7 is very much ahead giving you faster performance and less power draw.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/L/G/310516/original/3ds%20...

Thats AMD vs the i7 2600k.

Admittedly the difference lessens in some applications but in others that you will use is large enough difference.


Ok :) ,

But can you please mention if that AMD's processor will be good for my kind of use. As far as Graphics is concerned I have a GPU (HD 5770) which I think offers good Graphics processing. I don't think graphics is more considerable issue here.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 7:45:59 AM

cyberpks said:
Thanks, sunnk..

Well, actually budget is not the ultimate thing at which I am looking at, (my budget is close to around INR 22-25K). What I want is to know, is it worth spending that much if I can get what I want in less? I mean if I take the FX 8350 priced somewhere around INR 13K (that you mentioned, and is not currently available in India) and i7 2600K or the 3770K, what am I going to get in performance thing apart from a big difference in costs.


http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-rev...

there isnt that big difference between i7 3770k and fx 8350 when it come to highly threaded apps so it would be a good fit for you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 8:14:15 AM

cyberpks said:
Ok :) ,

But can you please mention if that AMD's processor will be good for my kind of use. As far as Graphics is concerned I have a GPU (HD 5770) which I think offers good Graphics processing. I don't think graphics is more considerable issue here.


AMD's one should still be a powerhouse in Rendering and coding as they tend to be threaded well. It's single threads that will suffer.

You might want a slightly better gpu for viewing render models and gaming. Just my 2c.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 8:58:38 AM

If price is a concern def. wait for 8350.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 9:12:13 AM

Id go for the 8350, or the 8320 and clock it up to the 8350 speed.

In games it won't matter because they will be limited by the 5770.

If you don't plan on doing high end gaming, you can opt for a lower end 970 motherboard and save quite a bit, 990fx boards are generally designed for crossfire/sli setups.

As stated tho, performance for what your doing will be fairly close, so it comes down to price vs price.
m
0
l
November 22, 2012 7:10:25 AM

Thanks to all for answers, :heink: 

But if I ask for votes, how many will be with the Intel's and how many with the AMD's? That should help me in making final decision.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 7:13:49 AM

cyberpks said:
Thanks to all for answers, :heink: 

But if I ask for votes, how many will be with the Intel's and how many with the AMD's? That should help me in making final decision.



If budget is no issue easily the i7 for me.

Faster, makes less heat and draws less power.
m
0
l
!