Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for diablo 3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 13, 2012 4:45:02 AM

Hi guys I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to play diablo 3. My computer is pretty ancient, but I just want something to hold me over until I can save up enough for a new computer.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next week or two.

BUDGET: I'm looking to spend around $150-200 for a new card and power supply.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I would like to mainly use it for gaming and general computer stuff.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Factory stuff - Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family with a 305w power supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: It is a Dell Dimension E520

Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 2
Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.1.2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
2GB RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg or Tigerdirect, trustworthy sites in general.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Don't really have a preference.

OVERCLOCKING: I will not be overclocking it.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like to play on medium or high graphics if possible.

More about : graphics card diablo

a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 5:34:06 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This card will be enough for Diablo III and it will even run on your existing power supply!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This card is as powerful as you can get w/o replacing that power supply. Its $25-40 (if you use the rebate) more and its about 20-30% faster. But if all you want is Diablo 3, than save some money and go for the 6670.

I would not go any faster than the 7750 because you will be severely bottle-necked by that old Pentium D.
May 13, 2012 5:40:43 AM

You could nearly buy a brand new PC for 200 bucks...

Your CPU is really bad, and 2gb of system ram is going to hold you back even more possibly. My advice to you is not to spend 150.00 on a PSU and video card right now, UNLESS you are planning on keeping your current case and adding parts as you go.

Here is a benchmark from this website on diablo 3:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo-iii-performa...

That is for minimum detail settings (and for your system, that is what you would be looking for). As you can see in the chart, even a 6450 (40 dollar GPU that runs fine on standard power supplies) runs D3 just fine at your monitors resolution.

You need to understand tho that this benchmark was done with a much faster cpu, and more/faster memory than your system has. Your CPU is actually the absolute minimum that they suggest you run (you can see this on diablo 3 wiki page).

You are not going to be able to run on medium/high settings with any graphics card, you need a whole system upgrade for that. But you should be able to make the game playable with a low end graphics card like a 6450 (which is all i would spend on an aging system like yours).
Related resources
May 13, 2012 5:47:17 AM

Scotty99 said:
You could nearly buy a brand new PC for 200 bucks...

Your CPU is really bad, and 2gb of system ram is going to hold you back even more possibly. My advice to you is not to spend 150.00 on a PSU and video card right now, UNLESS you are planning on keeping your current case and adding parts as you go.

Here is a benchmark from this website on diablo 3:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo-iii-performa...

That is for minimum detail settings (and for your system, that is what you would be looking for). As you can see in the chart, even a 6450 (40 dollar GPU that runs fine on standard power supplies) runs D3 just fine at your monitors resolution.

You need to understand tho that this benchmark was done with a much faster cpu, and more/faster memory than your system has. Your CPU is actually the absolute minimum that they suggest you run (you can see this on diablo 3 wiki page).

You are not going to be able to run on medium/high settings with any graphics card, you need a whole system upgrade for that. But you should be able to make the game playable with a low end graphics card like a 6450 (which is all i would spend on an aging system like yours).

Im not sure that I totally agree that his CPU is that much slower the phen x2 that was used in the benchmark gave min fps of 72 on high settings and its not a crushing increase in power of the pent d yes its faster but diablo 3 is clearly not reliant on CPU
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 5:55:56 AM

Simply get a HD7750. Good enough to max out Diablo 3 without replacing your PSU. Save up for a future upgrade.
May 13, 2012 5:57:47 AM

Phenom II is at least 10x faster than a pentium D.
May 13, 2012 6:00:41 AM

You people are crazy for suggesting 100.00 video cards to this guy. Did you even read his system specs?

His CPU is slower than an AMD E-350, if you dont fully understand what that means let me explain it to you, the AMD E-350 is the CPU that comes in the 299.00 bottom barrel LAPTOPS.
May 13, 2012 9:12:50 AM

I agree with scotty99. Dude, OP, just get a A4-3400 APU+Mobo+4gb ram for around 150$ & call it a day. :)  You will be able to play D3 w\o any problems at decent settings & also have a new system. Better cpu, dual core, better video playback & stuff. Mind you, get this, if you wont be upgrading your system for playing BF4 and stuff. Even BF3 runs fine the 3400 on low settings. :)  GL!!
May 14, 2012 12:06:29 AM

Another thing that I forgot to mention was that I can only use a single slot card and I don't mind upgrading my Power Supply if I need to. Oh, and I'll definitely be getting more RAM from my dad.

Should I just invest in something else rather than GPU and PSU? Would what wrazor said be a better option?

I wouldn't hesitate on buying a new computer, but I have to blow $500 on my car right now. So a new comp would have to wait.
!