jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
This is prolly a dumn question, but here goes anyways.
Is a mobile processor (eg. Mobile Athlon 64) just a desktop processor with reduced speces? (underclocked or whatever)
If so, would that mean you could use a desktop CPU and modify the clock rate downward to make it work? Or does that just defeat the purpose?

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
1 GIG Corsair Dual DDR
2 x 74 GB Raptor HDs
NVidia6800 Ultra PCI-e
Dual Layer DVD +/-RW
PC Power & Cooling 510W PSU

endyen

Splendid
All of Amd's A64, opteron, s754 sempron chips, are basicly the same. Just with different packages. Most of the s754 boards will work with A64-m chips.
The mobile chips seem to have been binned based on stability at low voltage.

Crossbow888

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
Usually a processor designated with "mobile" means it has a different socket type than that of its desktop variants. But the Mobile Athlons are also socket 754, so you should be able to replace your laptop's cpu with a regular socket 754 Athlon64.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Crossbow888 on 04/19/05 01:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
are the notebooks all 754 or can you get a 939 board for a laptop? Mine is a 2 Ghz 2300+/2000 bus; and the chart I saw labeled that as a 939 chip. But, it was a list of regular not mobile CPU's.
CPU-z should tell me which right?

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
1 GIG Corsair Dual DDR
2 x 74 GB Raptor HDs
NVidia6800 Ultra PCI-e
Dual Layer DVD +/-RW

endyen

Splendid
Not exactly.
All mobile chips can work on desktops, if you have the right board for it.
Most s462 boards will work with xp-m chips. (if you dont have multiplier control, the chip defaults to 6X)
Most S478 boards will work with P4m, and celeronm chips (though usually at reduced speed)
There are even a couple of mobos that work with the s479 PM chips.
A64-m chips work on some s754 boards.

Crossbow888

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
Yes CPU-Z will tell you what CPU you have. Maybe I'm just tired, but I still don't know what you are trying to do. Are you trying to lower your laptop's CPU speed?

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
LOL
No, I'm just trying to understand the ins and outs of mobile cpu's n boards. Wondering how upgradeable they really are/aren't, and the best methods of doing so. I'm new to the world of laptops, and it's in my nature to want to immediately tear it apart and figure out how it works, and how to make it better. :)

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
1 GIG Corsair Dual DDR
2 x 74 GB Raptor HDs
NVidia6800 Ultra PCI-e
Dual Layer DVD +/-RW

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Yeah, I guess actually I was looking more the other direction, from desktop to laptop. eg: can a normal desktop processor go in the laptop and/or what's the most affordable option for speeding the laptop up? And, maybe, there is no great way other than a different laptop. Just looking for possibilities

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
1 GIG Corsair Dual DDR
2 x 74 GB Raptor HDs
NVidia6800 Ultra PCI-e
Dual Layer DVD +/-RW

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
?
You threw me. Are you saying that the mobile chip can be oc'd in the laptop and that would be cheaper than going to a desktop chip? Or maybe just that theyre really the same chip? (which I was aware of) Really just looking for the most cost effective option for the laptop: A64M or A64 cpu and the best method for implementing that.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I thought that some mobile CPUS have totally different architectures than desktop CPU.

I was under the impression that mobile CPU is much much more efficient that the same rated desktop CPU.

Maybe it's true only for Pentium M

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Well, for the purpose of this post, I'm really only talking about Athon 64M and/or Athlon 64's. I still haven't really figured out if mine is 764 or 939 but I think it's 939. (unless of course I'm wrong and they don't make a socket 939 board for a laptop config yet :smile: )
But that's the kind of stuff I'm trying to find out.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
so, basically, since the mobile chip in the machine is prolly better than a comparable desktop chip, would overclocking it be worthwhile? (any noticeable performance increase)
Or, do the voltage requirements really rule that out?

endyen

Splendid
Most people dont OC mobiles because of the extra heat. Those puppies dont have great cooling, or space to put a big hsf.
With most laptops, performance can be gained by changing to a faster hdd, and adding more ram.

endyen

Splendid
I guess you are talking about the Asus boards (though the adapter will work with more than one), so I guess you forgot about the Aopen board. (someone else, maybe biostar makes a different board as well)
Not that I care, the chips are too expensive for me.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
There are 2 different mobile P4 chips, the pentium 4 mobile (bastically an undervolted pentium 4) and the pentium 4m which is a completly different chip alltogether (its like an upgraded p3).

endyen

Splendid
AFAIK only the PM uses s479. As I said, Asus makes an adaptor that enables some of thier boards to run the PMs, while Aopen has a desktop board that supprts the PMs natively (s479)

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. So as far as the actual CPU, it's prolly just go with a new faster M or new laptop in general, once the HD and RAM are at optimum speed/size.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
HMM, I thought I already made this reply, but it's not showing on the thread, so here goes:

With most laptops, performance can be gained by changing to a faster hdd, and adding more ram.
I was aware of all that, just looking for possibilities. But, as I kinda figured, It seems that the answer here is just get a faster M-CPU or just new laptop, as opposed to trying to squeeze more out of the current CPU. And with the price of the high-end CPU's, new laptop is almost better option I think. (not now of course, but when the time comes)

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Aopen has a desktop board that supprts the PMs natively (s479)
Isnt that board based on the 855 chipset? If so it would be far too expensive, under perform and lack features.

If I were to buy a PM (not that I would, I agree that they are too expensive) I would get the Asus board with the adaptor card.

Mike_995

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
Actually the Mobile processors seem to run a bit cooler, but other than that i am not aware that there is really a big difference