I5 2500k iGPU works, but discrete GTX 560 ti GPU doesnt

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi, i just newly built a computer and im having some problems with it.
I installed everything fine except for the video card because i wasnt working at the start. The computer runs fine using Intel i5 2500k's iGPU, but when i plug in my EVGA GTX 560 TI 448, it stops working. I loads the windows sign,but after that, the screen just goes black and i can't seem to get anything to show.
I dont have any previous video card drivers installed. I also read somewhere thati might need to disaable the iGPU in the bios, but after further research, people are saying that the computer does it for you most of the time.

My specs for the computer is
Asus P8Z77 PRO
i5 2500k
G.Skill Ares DDR3 1866 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Western Digital Cavier Green 2 TB
SeaSonic 650 watt PSU

Thanks.

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Things to try:
In BIOS set initialize graphic on PCIe first
Check your connection, try different one
Try it in different PCIe slot
Install NV driver before Windows update that is right after fresh install of Windows

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I tried 2 different video cards, and they both worked.(GTS 240, and a GTX 560 ti). I also did a fresh install of windows and installed the video card driver first, and same problem, but this time I managed to get into safe mode. But when trying to get into normal windows mode, the screen still goes black after the windows 7 logo lights up for 3 seconds. I also. Hanged the bios so e pci-e boots up first.
Anyone have any ideas ??
Thanks

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

If the card works in another computer, its more likely a bad motherboard.

Check your Bios settings.; If that doesn't work contact Asus.

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

What exactly am I checking for in the bios? And the card works in my friends computer in normal mode. But my friends other card also works in my computer in normal mode as well. So is it possible that the motherboard is bad?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

what card does your friend have that works in yours? it could be a bad power supply that cant support all the extra power draw of your card.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Sorry missed that part. Less likely that motherboard is bad.

Your bios should have something where you select boot order for graphics, integrated vs pci1 vs pci2, etc. Trying turning off Virtu MVP as well.

Have you checked for updated bios for motherboard?

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Does anyone think that maybe my power supply isn't enough for my setup? Cause I just called asus And they told me that I need a 1000 watt power supply for my setup since my video card draws 500 watts, CPU is like 120, and motherboard is 300, (all numbers under full load)
Anyone have experience with a similar set up ??

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
that's a load of crap.
please check for what I have stated twice now.

edit three times:
'Enabled If No Ext PEG'

but whoever quoted you on those power numbers was or is smoking crack..
and we all have somewhat similar set-up, yours is no different.

I tried lookin for that in the bios, but I could not find that option anywhere. Where is it suppose to be ?

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Advanced BIOS Features >> Onboard VGA >> Enable If No Ext Peg

I'm sorry if i'm being a total idiot or something, but when i go into advanced bios, there is no "onboard VGA" option/tab. i go into the system agent agent configuration, and there are 4 options and these are my setups for each
Initiate Graphic Adapter: PCIE/PCI
iGPU Memory: 64M
Render Standy: Enable
iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enable

I've played around with this tab alot, and changing things in this tab doesnt fix the problem. if the "Enable if no ext PEG" is in another tab, please let me know. Thanks

BTW, the motherboard is an Asus P8Z77 v-PRO, so the bios is Asus' uEFI bios.

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I disables both, as well as changed
The other 2 options to auto, but still didn't fix. I'm completely stumped on what it could possibly be. Anyone else have any ideas? Cause right now my only possible explanation for the problem is not enough power.

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
and you have both (2) 6-pin adapters plugged into graphics card.?

Yep, I have a 10 pin modular cable which splits into 2 pci-e 6 pins connected.
Another thing that is making me think it's not power issue is that I could install windows 7 while using the gtx 560, but when I start doing windows updates and drivers, it stops working and i must use my iGPU. Also, i could have the video card plugged in, but change the primary screen to iGPU and it will still work. And when i go and check my hardware and devices, it detects the gtx 560 ti, but wont seem to run it.

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
When something like this happens: his works on yours, yours works on his, his works on his but yours DOESN'T work on yours then you have to look for the most SIMPLE problem that you may have slipped. I wish I'm with your PC right now because it's frustrating when... (go back to the beginning).

goodforyou19

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
So I just did another fresh install of windows 7, and everything was going fine with the gtx 560 up until I install the first batch of windows updates. I saw one of the updates including the nvidia gtx 560 TI driver. After downloading and installing the updates, the video started to not work.
Anyone have an idea on what this could possibly mean ?

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Oh yes! Got it

I have the EVGA 560ti myself and that was the same happened to me before. DO NOT update your GTX 560ti thru Windows Update. Go to the nVidia site, download and install the latest driver (I'm on my mobile device right now, can't check my rig and tell you what the latest version is for the 560ti but I think it's 293.4 or something). Windows Update will not show update for your 560ti if you install the latest version.

Wow! I had to reinstall my Windows because that particular update messed up Lucid Virtu which I use for video encoding utilizing QuickSync. I have HDMI connect to the 560ti and every time I want to encode a video, I just turn on Virtu. It works pretty dawn well. I suggest you do not install any "recommend" update unless you need to. And there's one critical update you should not install => KB2529073

jaivarghese

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
If you haven't solved this yet, try replacing your processor with another one. It worked for me. I had a faulty cpu. I found this after replacing my motherboard without any difference in the situation.