Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

no service questions, new boston customer

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 14, 2005 1:51:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

hi everyone, I am new to cingular in the boston area and GSM
technologies in general and have a few questions/comments. I have a
new Razr, and just signed up for cingular two weeks ago, I had to give
them a new york address in order to port my old new york number. So, I
had to go get another sim chip from cingular to port my number. I have
noticed (8/13/2005 especially) that I have had 0 signal for most of the
weekend in Cambridge and last night in downtown Boston, specifically
faneiul hall. This included moving around and not just sitting in one
place. Friends have called and said that my voicemail doesn't even
pick up, and there is a strange double beep.

1. Does the fact that I have a new york based number give me worse
service in boston? If so, is it possible to get multiple sim chips for
one phone number, since I travel a lot? Is it possible to keep my same
phone number but get a boston sim chip?

2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?

3. Is there some type of network load limit, where if there are a
certain number of people connected, it kicks off other people?

thanks and any help is appreciated!
dan
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:29:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1124038288.921112.240750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"dan" <dan.ochs@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?

YES.

http://forums.cingular.com and look in the customer care-->network
coverage area in general for stories about how Cingular's network has
gone downhill for many people beginning in about May of this year.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:53:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

It is alleged that dan claimed:

> hi everyone, I am new to cingular in the boston area and GSM
> technologies in general and have a few questions/comments. I have a
> new Razr, and just signed up for cingular two weeks ago, I had to give
> them a new york address in order to port my old new york number. So, I

I've been with Cingular for about two and a half months now, a refugee
from Verizon Wireless. I had a Boston number with VZW, but I did not
port it, I got a new number when I switched, since I now live in the
boonies and Boston is a long distance landline call for me (I forward
my landline to my cell when I'm out...). My phone is a Treo 650 (quad
band world phone).

> had to go get another sim chip from cingular to port my number. I have
> noticed (8/13/2005 especially) that I have had 0 signal for most of the
> weekend in Cambridge and last night in downtown Boston, specifically
> faneiul hall. This included moving around and not just sitting in one

I was in town last Wednesday for some errands and lunch with my Dad (at
Houston's at Fanuel Hall, if you're interested. Good burgers, but not
worth the $11 they charge). I had no problems with signal there,
around Leachmere Sq, or Government Center.

> 1. Does the fact that I have a new york based number give me worse
> service in boston? If so, is it possible to get multiple sim chips for

I doubt it's the fact that it's a NY based number, but maybe that it's
a ported number.

> one phone number, since I travel a lot? Is it possible to keep my same

I doubt it, for the same reason why you cannot have two phones with
Verizon on the same number at the same time. You can have only one
registered telephony device per cellular number at any one time. With
GSM, that is done via the SIM card.

> 2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?

I haven't had such problems. Though a few times I have noticed that my
phone display will briefly say "No service - SOS only" when I'm at
home.

> 3. Is there some type of network load limit, where if there are a
> certain number of people connected, it kicks off other people?

I'm sure there is a load limit, but I have no idea what they do when
that limit is reached. Even if you are bumped off the air, it
shouldn't effect your voicemail.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

"I'm a latent telepath." (Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Divided Loyalties")
Related resources
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:12:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1124038288.921112.240750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> on 14 Aug 2005
09:51:29 -0700, "dan" <dan.ochs@gmail.com> wrote:

>1. Does the fact that I have a new york based number give me worse
>service in boston?...

No.

>2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?

Nothing out of the ordinary.

>3. Is there some type of network load limit, where if there are a
>certain number of people connected, it kicks off other people?

No. With GSM, once you get a connection you keep it unless you lose the
signal. (Cell "shrinkage" is only a problem with CDMA.) If a given cell is
saturated you will either get system busy or a connection to some other cell
(which might not have as good a signal).

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:23:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-345AEA.06173015082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005
06:17:30 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <GfXLe.9227$p%3.37160@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?
>>
>> Nothing out of the ordinary.
>
>Now Navas is either on drugs, or is a shill for Cingular.
>[SNIP]

You really should get back on your meds. ;) 

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:23:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <Iz1Me.9245$p%3.37102@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> In <elmop-345AEA.06173015082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005
> 06:17:30 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <GfXLe.9227$p%3.37160@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >
> >> >2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?
> >>
> >> Nothing out of the ordinary.
> >
> >Now Navas is either on drugs, or is a shill for Cingular.
> >[SNIP]
>
> You really should get back on your meds. ;) 

Navas, it's you who should get back on your meds. You remember--the
ones that kept you away from the newsgroups for a couple of months.

That you declare it AS FACT that "nothing out of the ordinary" is
happening, and leave it as that, is evidence of your delusions. You
honestly think that you can answer the question factually, when in fact
you can't. No one can answer that in public; even the people within
Cingular can't answer that question. The best they could say is, "No
comment."
August 16, 2005 1:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

if nothing out of the ordinary is going on, then that brings me to
another set of questions. Is having no service for most of the weekend
an ordinary thing in Boston for Cingular? Are they always taking
systems down over the weekend for maintenance? Is there a place I can
go to see system downtime announcements?

just would be helpful so I know what to expect...
thanks, dan
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-07FE98.16235615082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005
16:23:56 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <Iz1Me.9245$p%3.37102@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <elmop-345AEA.06173015082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 15 Aug 2005
>> 06:17:30 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <GfXLe.9227$p%3.37160@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> >2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?
>> >>
>> >> Nothing out of the ordinary.
>> >
>> >Now Navas is either on drugs, or is a shill for Cingular.
>> >[SNIP]
>>
>> You really should get back on your meds. ;) 
>
>Navas, it's you who should get back on your meds. ...

Delusional again. Pity. Oh well.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:27:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <HM7Me.9299$p%3.37342@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Navas, it's you who should get back on your meds. ...
>
> Delusional again. Pity. Oh well.

John, let's face it: you think you're the fountain of knowledge, and
that what you say is fact--simply by your saying it.

The only one who's delusional here is obviously you.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:48:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I work for Cingular in the NE and they are having problems.The problems are
related to network upgrades and the integration efforts that Cingular is
making with the ATT network intergration. 3 weeks ago we had a voice and
data outage from Maryland up the East coast to Boston. They are also in the
process of switching vm to one type pf server from the 3 different server
types that they dig have. I think Cingular was a bit premature to announce
the " All Over Network."


"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-07FE98.16235615082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com...
> In article <Iz1Me.9245$p%3.37102@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <elmop-345AEA.06173015082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 15 Aug
>> 2005
>> 06:17:30 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <GfXLe.9227$p%3.37160@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> >2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?
>> >>
>> >> Nothing out of the ordinary.
>> >
>> >Now Navas is either on drugs, or is a shill for Cingular.
>> >[SNIP]
>>
>> You really should get back on your meds. ;) 
>
> Navas, it's you who should get back on your meds. You remember--the
> ones that kept you away from the newsgroups for a couple of months.
>
> That you declare it AS FACT that "nothing out of the ordinary" is
> happening, and leave it as that, is evidence of your delusions. You
> honestly think that you can answer the question factually, when in fact
> you can't. No one can answer that in public; even the people within
> Cingular can't answer that question. The best they could say is, "No
> comment."
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:42:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1124165548.326347.244000@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> on 15 Aug 2005
21:12:28 -0700, "dan" <dan.ochs@gmail.com> wrote:

>if nothing out of the ordinary is going on, then that brings me to
>another set of questions. Is having no service for most of the weekend
>an ordinary thing in Boston for Cingular?

Don't know about Boston, but it does occasionally happen here in Northern
California.

>Are they always taking
>systems down over the weekend for maintenance?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

>Is there a place I can
>go to see system downtime announcements?

I don't think so.

>just would be helpful so I know what to expect...

Except it to be generally pretty good, but not perfect. It is, after all,
mobile wireless. On balance I think it (reasonably reliable unlimited
EGPRS/EDGE data for $20/month) is pretty darn good. YMMV, but if you don't
think so, then don't subscribe.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:46:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <WKhMe.562$tB5.258@okepread06>,
"Alcoholic" <alcoholics@anonymous.org> wrote:

> I work for Cingular in the NE and they are having problems.

What? How DARE you defy the all-knowing John Navas?!?!?!? He has
spoken, there are NO problems with Cingular. And once John Navas has
spoken, all discussion on the topic shall cease, because the word of
John Navas is the last word that shall be, PERIOD.

You dare defy John Navas?
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:14:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Yes Mr Navas is a rather postive but rigid individual. But he does live on
the West Coast and the East and South East network issues are really
different. For example , when they refer to liquid damage to a phone in San
Fran it is usually lubricant spilled on the phone or it was dropped into a
public toilet; when they refer to liquid damage on the East coast the damn
thing just dropped in the beer.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-61B6B5.07461216082005@nntp3.usenetserver.com...
> In article <WKhMe.562$tB5.258@okepread06>,
> "Alcoholic" <alcoholics@anonymous.org> wrote:
>
>> I work for Cingular in the NE and they are having problems.
>
> What? How DARE you defy the all-knowing John Navas?!?!?!? He has
> spoken, there are NO problems with Cingular. And once John Navas has
> spoken, all discussion on the topic shall cease, because the word of
> John Navas is the last word that shall be, PERIOD.
>
> You dare defy John Navas?
>
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <WKhMe.562$tB5.258@okepread06> on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 03:48:00 -0500,
"Alcoholic" <alcoholics@anonymous.org> wrote:

>I think Cingular was a bit premature to announce
>the " All Over Network."

Based on reciprocal free roaming, that is at least as true as the claims of
other carriers that are based on roaming agreements.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
August 18, 2005 1:24:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

thanks a lot for posting, that is the type of information I am looking
for. I registered in cingulars support forums as well and it would be
helpful if these types of posts were put up there BEFORE the
issues/outages occur.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:33:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

dan wrote:
> thanks a lot for posting, that is the type of information I am looking
> for. I registered in cingulars support forums as well and it would be
> helpful if these types of posts were put up there BEFORE the
> issues/outages occur.

Never gonna happen. Phone companies (and that includes cell phone
companies that are sprouted from traditional LECs) never like to
acknowledge that there are such things as planned outages. They try
hard to perpetuate the image that barring natural catastrophe or acts of
war/terrorism, the public telephone network is always on.

I do have to give credit to Cingular for even having a support forum.
While I haven't spent much time on it except to browse here and there,
it seems like they even leave the complaints up on the site, and it's
relatively uncensored. Few comapnies are willing to do that.



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
August 18, 2005 6:35:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:33:09 -0400, Isaiah Beard
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

>I do have to give credit to Cingular for even having a support forum.
>While I haven't spent much time on it except to browse here and there,
>it seems like they even leave the complaints up on the site, and it's
>relatively uncensored. Few comapnies are willing to do that.

Did cingular even *have* a support forum before they took over AT&T
Wireless? AT&T Wireless had a support forum prior to them being taken
over by cingular.

- -
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:32:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> clifto <clifto@clifto.com> wrote:
>> Navas is quite opinionated. A lot of that comes from research he does.
>
> As in, he wants us to THINK that he has some sort of "inside scoop".
>
> Fact: a Cingular rep acknowledged to me, yesterday, that the blue side
> is having serious problems.

I've read about such problems in various places in newsgroups and web
sites. They're not universal, but localized to various areas. If you're
getting good service where you're at, more power to you. ;) 

--
If John McCain gets the 2008 Republican Presidential nomination,
my vote for President will be a write-in for Jiang Zemin.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:47:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

My experience with Cingular has been very bad recently. I am a former
AT&T Wireless customer (for more than 10 years). After the merger, there
was some improvement in performance but now things are getting worse
than ever. Some days there is not data performance at all. I have heard
some excuses such as if I would sign a new contract with Cingular and
get new equipment things would be better. But your experience flies in
the face of that as you are a new Cingular not former AT&T customer.
Other explanations are that they are taking some of the AT&T cell sites
out of service and that they are rolling out the UMTS service.

Customer support is about the worst I recall every experiencing. They
are completely incompetent and don't like to be bothered with customers.
They are arrogant and really don't care if people leave them. I even
had one hang up on me.

I am about to switch to Verizon.

dan wrote:
> hi everyone, I am new to cingular in the boston area and GSM
> technologies in general and have a few questions/comments. I have a
> new Razr, and just signed up for cingular two weeks ago, I had to give
> them a new york address in order to port my old new york number. So, I
> had to go get another sim chip from cingular to port my number. I have
> noticed (8/13/2005 especially) that I have had 0 signal for most of the
> weekend in Cambridge and last night in downtown Boston, specifically
> faneiul hall. This included moving around and not just sitting in one
> place. Friends have called and said that my voicemail doesn't even
> pick up, and there is a strange double beep.
>
> 1. Does the fact that I have a new york based number give me worse
> service in boston? If so, is it possible to get multiple sim chips for
> one phone number, since I travel a lot? Is it possible to keep my same
> phone number but get a boston sim chip?
>
> 2. Has the cingular network been having issues lately?
>
> 3. Is there some type of network load limit, where if there are a
> certain number of people connected, it kicks off other people?
>
> thanks and any help is appreciated!
> dan
>
!