GA-K8NF-9 Cooling fan bracket

rgfman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,

My AMD chip cooling bracket had the fan supports break off after 10 years. I did buy a replacement bracket. My question is ... when i remove the screws to replace the bracket, are there nuts of some sort on the other side of the motherboard that will fall off, that will then make it impossible to screw the new bracket in without dismantling the whole PC? I'd like to replace the bracket so I can put the PC back in its upright position, vs laying on the side as I have it now. But if the replacement of the bracket is too messy I'd probably live with it laying on its side. Just not sure what the screws on the bracket connect to on the other side of the motherboard. Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
10 years old... not sure which socket assembly that would be. But most have a metal rectangular piece on the reverse side that had 4 tapped bolt holes. If so, there is a good chance it will drop off when the last screw is removed.

Remove the case's opposite side cover and look at the back side of the motherboard mounting surface. Some of them have a cut-out that allows you to work on the retention bracket without removing the board.

You mention the "fan support" being broken. Not sure what you are referring to, but if it's just the cooler that needs replacing that can be done without removing the screwed-down retention bracket. There is a swinging lever that releases it from the retention bracket for removal/replacement.

rgfman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

Thanks for the reply....

It is the bracket itself that busted .. the fan itself still works. I did remove the other side of the PC, and there is no back-side bracket. Eventually, I did remove the busted cooling bracket - discovered the bracket is held onto the motherboard using a couple of plastic push-ins that enlarge when engaged. Unfortunately, those plastic push-pins did not survive the repair. I ended up getting the new bracket attached, but not sure how long my customized fix will survive. PC has been working for a week now without the fan falling off... maybe my fix will survive. But, I'd like to have those plastic push pins in hand in case things fall apart. I'm now trying to find replacement plastic pushpins so I can fix it properly. But, can't find any place to buy them. Any ideas on where to find them? I did today send a note to the company (Cyberpower PC) asking them about it.

Thanks again for the response!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never seen an AMD retention bracket that used push-pins for mounting. If you could post a pic of it, I'd be grateful. The manufacturer may replace the 4 screws that hold the bracket on with push-pins, but you mentioned it used screws. So I'm scratching my head here. :??:

rgfman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

Hi ... here's a picture of the MB- 3 different views ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128268

the two white headed pins on the bracket can be seen. Those are the push pins holding the cooling bracket to the MOBO.

I did call them screws initially, as when I first looked at attempting this repair I wasn't sure what was holding the bracket to the MOBO, and was why I opened up the initial question on this forum. But, once I got into it I found out they are push pins, not screws. Now I'm hunting for them.

Cyberpower responded... they do not have them either... they suggested I contact the MB vendor. May try that too....

thanks again!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, that is an oldie. I totally forgot that AMD used to use those kind of mounts for their retention bracket. If your hunt for push pins fails, you can always go to a hardware store and get a couple nylon or plastic nut/bolt combos that will fit the holes and are the correct length.

Btw, here's the web page for that board if you need any info or maybe a download. (BIOS, Manual, drivers, etc)
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2206#

rgfman

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

yeah .. i gave that a thought too... downside is that the backside of the motherboard is not 100% accessible. I can get at the upper nut via a cutout on the case, but the lower pushpin can not be seen. To get at it I would have to start taking the motherboard out of the case, and that is a task I'd much prefer to avoid. Am hoping my fix will hold, or I can find a couple of those push pins somewhere.

Thanks for the conversation.... first time I've actually asked a question on this forum. Glad I did!!