Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Overclocked 3570k

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2012 6:38:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read this! My homebuilt system has an Intel 3570k on a Gigabyte Z77X UD3H Motherboard with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO as the third party cooler. My processor is overclocked to 4.00GHz and is using Intel's Turbo Boost, (i.e only goes up to 4.00GHz when under moderate load.)

What I'm concerned about though is the temperatures. As you can see in the screenshot, when idle, Core#0 can fluctuate from around 31-37 (sometimes 39 degrees), depending on the processes running in the background (the higher temps usually correspond to when Intels Smart Boost widget shows a rise to 3.9-4.0 GHz) while Core#1 and Core#2 stay around 29-31 but Core #3 is very low most of the time. As of writing this, it is at 18 degrees while the others are 34,29,30 respectively.

Someone suggested that I lightly press on the heatsink while idle and see if the temps dip or not, but this didn't do much.

Should there be a wide range of temperatures across all the cores? Even when I reset my overclock, it still shows a range of temperatures. But its the wide range and random spikes in temperature that worry me. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,

James.
November 15, 2012 6:42:36 PM

Here's another screenshot when properly idle.

November 16, 2012 4:05:49 AM

I should also add that with different software, like CoreTemp, all the temps are basically the same and a tad lower than HWMonitors. People say CoreTemp is better, then HWMonitor is better, but also, I've seen someone mention that it doesn't work well with Intels i series. In the bios too, the temp of the processor is around 37 I think, sometimes 40. I know in the bios though that the CPU is under a high load. Any ideas?
November 17, 2012 8:31:09 PM

Is it possible that you might have used a low quality thermal paste? Or didn't apply it properly?
!