New build for 3d max and photography

octopus77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hello:

I'm about to mount a new workstation, I have some doubts that i wanted to ask you.

My main us is 3dMAX, Vray, Photoshop, lightroom, autocad, After effects,

I am a 3d guy but also an enthusiast photographer.
I reside in Spain and this is the web i usually purchase my hardware (just in case) my budget is arround 3.000 €
http://www.pccomponentes.com

This is what i have in mind:

MB: Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU: Intel Core I7-3930K 3.2Ghz Box Socket 2011
HDD: Crucial M4 256GB SSD SATA3 (system)
RAM: G.Skill Ripgaws 1600 pc3 4x8GB (32 GB)
VGA: ATI Firepro V5900 or Gforce GTX 670
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA3 64MB (Data)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
BOX: Antec P193 V3

Cool: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Monitor: Dell 2410 or 2412m

VGA: I have always used gaming cards, i want to try a firepro to see if i get better performance especially in 3d max display, but i have read that for adobe soft, a CUDA based card is better. Also i want to be able to use Vray RT at least for preview purposes, not final renders.
I saw Andrew's list for CUDA rendering, and he adds two Gforce cards to an firepro card for display.
I wonder how such a mix would work.
For instance in case i need Gforce for better PShop performance, could i instal the firepro for 3dmax display and use Gforce for PS and Vray RT, how would i tell the sofw what card to use? wouldn't it be a driver conflict or problems of other type?
Besides i would go for just one gforce and the firepro, so would that make a big diference or i'll be fine with just the ATI.

HDD: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the question here. Now i have a 1+0 Raid setup, with 4 750GB disks. I can use these same disks on my new machine and so avoid the data transfer (pain in the A.. if you ask me), but i also want to keep my old machine as second render node (i have also an older dual xeon that i don't know what to do with ) so i will need to put anothe HDD there. Or i could just use a new 2TB disk here, this option is more temting for me.

PSU: This is the best offer i could find with my dealer, is that a good choice?
BOX: The same here, will i be able to fit the cooling Hydro H100 radiator on the top 2 fans compartiment of the case?

Monitor: here the doubt is only for the money, i know the 2410 is better in therms of color and gamut, so in the deep of me i know is what i need (especially for raw photo editting working on adobe rgb color space). But the difference in terms of money here is like 200 U$, so i wonder if the difference is that important. Now i have 2 monitor of worst quality than the 2412 i guess, and will be keeping one to pair the new Dell.

I guess this is all.
Thank you for reading and any help will be very apreciated, i don't want to make some of the errors i did on my actual system, wich can't allways recon the 12GB of ram i have installed for isntance. and brings me nuts to render big scenes in 3d max.

Cheers.

you have the OS?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/buH5

heres what i would get.

-32gb of ram is a lot for even you. i just dont see how you will ever use 64gb in the future
-the noctua nh-d14 is quieter than the h100 while performing about the same
-the p280 is a upgrade to the p180 series
-cuda does help in the adobe suite of programs. if you need some Gpu compute power, id suggest getting a 580. if not, the 670 will be just as viable
- the SSD is meant for the OS and some important programs.

octopus77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Hi,

Ram: I don't know if i will need 64 Gb in the future, possible not, but the main reason i pick 4x8gb sticks is to avoid using the 8 slots in the MB, not only for future choice but especially because i heard some systems are unstable with all the slots ocupied, and that is what hapens to me right now, i have 12 GB or ram un my 6 slots and most of the time only 8 are recon by the system.
Besides the difference in price is minimal.

Cooling: I thought the liquid cooling was quieter, but i never used before. Other reason to choose this was the hight volume and weight of the noctua and similars, making unconfortable to mount and to air circulation inside the box. But if the H100 is noiser then i will pick the noctua.

Case: The P193 v3 is the one i can get from my dealer, they don't have the P280, ¿why do you prefer it over the P193?

the p280 is a complete update and is easier to use. if you dont have the p280, try finding a corsair 500R.

if your programs are not 64bit, they can never take advantage of more than 4gb of ram

i doubt the system will be unstable with all the ram inserted