Hi all,

I test adding programs to exceptions running from mapped network drives.
Here are the results.

1- Mapped network drive - T:\test.exe
2- UNC Path: \\192.168.2.5\share\test.exe
T = \\192.168.2.5\share

- Run the program from map network drive and click unblock | Go to
exceptions tab | Edit program's entry | Path: \\192.168.2.5\share\test.exe
- Run the program once again from T, no blocking warning even the UNC path
is shown in exceptions.
- Manually add program's path (T:\test.exe), run the program, warning
appears.

Is it possible to use mapped network drive letters in exceptions? Why
exceptions requires UNC names? I analyze with procexp and it shows programs
running path as network drive.

Thanks,
Mark.

Depends on the firewall. Care to specify which?

--
Walter Clayton

"Disso" <dissoanima@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I test adding programs to exceptions running from mapped network drives.
> Here are the results.
>
> 1- Mapped network drive - T:\test.exe
> 2- UNC Path: \\192.168.2.5\share\test.exe
> T = \\192.168.2.5\share
>
> - Run the program from map network drive and click unblock | Go to
> exceptions tab | Edit program's entry | Path: \\192.168.2.5\share\test.exe
> - Run the program once again from T, no blocking warning even the UNC path
> is shown in exceptions.
> - Manually add program's path (T:\test.exe), run the program, warning
> appears.
>
> Is it possible to use mapped network drive letters in exceptions? Why
> exceptions requires UNC names? I analyze with procexp and it shows
> programs
> running path as network drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

Windows firewall, sorry for missing info.

"Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
Depends on the firewall. Care to specify which?

--
Walter Clayton

"Disso" <dissoanima@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I test adding programs to exceptions running from mapped network drives.
> Here are the results.
>
> 1- Mapped network drive - T:\test.exe
> 2- UNC Path: \\192.168.2.5\share\test.exe
> T = \\192.168.2.5\share
>
> - Run the program from map network drive and click unblock | Go to
> exceptions tab | Edit program's entry | Path: \\192.168.2.5\share\test.exe
> - Run the program once again from T, no blocking warning even the UNC path
> is shown in exceptions.
> - Manually add program's path (T:\test.exe), run the program, warning
> appears.
>
> Is it possible to use mapped network drive letters in exceptions? Why
> exceptions requires UNC names? I analyze with procexp and it shows
> programs
> running path as network drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

OK. You just confused me.

With Windows Firewall you do not add exceptions for anything other than
applications that need to perform server type functions outside the local
subnet; i.e. they need to listen for unsolicited input coming from the big
world, typically. The exceptions are related to enterprise networks which I
don't *think* is applicable in this instance since you're using non-routable
IP addresses.

Is this a server type of application you're attempting to run? And do you
have Windows Firewall configured to allow WAN, LAN traffic only or custom IP
range? Is that IP part of your local sub-net?

--
Walter Clayton