Need a fast answer!!

G

Should a VGA cable that connects to my PC and an LCD TV work so that I can't get some form of picture and finish setting up the computer?

i have no clue what you are asking. im assuming you want to connect a vga tv with the vga port on the computer. what are the specs of your computer. if the computer has intergrated graphics or you have a graphics card, it should work fine

bucknutty

Distinguished
The short answer is yes. You can plug the video output of a computer into a tv using a vga cable. Normally it just works with no configuration just like a monitor. Set you tv source input to VGA or computer then turn on the computer. You should see the boot messages and the post screen and then windows load just like when the computer is plugged into a monitor.

G

Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, M-ATX, DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 3000,Turbo Key)
by Asus
Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GT 440 Graphics Card (1GB, GDDR5)
Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK Builder Series CX500V2 - 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU, Retail Packaged
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Memory

Those are the parts that I have. They are assembled in my computer case and now I'm looking to connect my computer to a display so that I can install everything and what not.

I have one HDMI cable that I took from my PS3. I inserted this cable into the HDMI port of the Graphics Card and when I turn on my TV - the television is JVC Liquid Crystal Display - I don't think the TV is recognising that there is a connection. There is no sound or picture.

What I was planning to do, seeing as my TV has a VGA output, was to get a VGA cable and connect that from my computer to my TV.

I hope this makes sense. I am Scottish and this is first time trying to build a desktop.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Your plan is sound and should work. Make sure you have the monitor cable plugged into the nvidia card and not the mobo.

Also if the system seems to power on but gives you no display make sure you have all the powere wires connected. You have the main 24 pin cable the 4 or 8 pin cable and the gpu power cable if the gpu needs one.

I have never been to scotland but I am pretty sure computers are the same on the island.

G

I went an got a VGA cable and I tested it by using my laptop and I connected them both together and on I switched my TV to VGA-PC mode and sure enough, my laptop desktop appeared on the screen.

Now I spoke to someone who gave me this cable and they said I should connect the VGA cable from the Mobo to the TV instead of the GPU to TV. Is this right?

Should I take the GPU out before I do this?

I tried connecting the VGA cable from the mobo to the tv and that didn't work.
I tried connecting the VGA cable from the GPU to the TV and that didn't work either.

I am using an old 80 GB hdd from 2005/06 and maybe it isn't compatible or maybe I have incompatible ram or which isn't inserted right