Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Whats better Dual 4GB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX 690 or Quad ORIGIN CRYOGENIC 3GB GDDR5 AM

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 13, 2012 2:00:08 PM

Hello,
I'm custom building a pc from origin and I don't know which card to get at first i went with the nvidia since a single one is better than a single amd hd 7970 liquid cooled but then it said it's quad and can be overclocked so now i don't know which to get.

I'm getting mainly for gaming so I would go with the one with a better display. Money isn't an issue.

Specs:-

Processor:o verclocked Intel Core i7 3960X 4.5GHz - 5.2GHz LGA 2011 Hex-Core Processor (15MB L3 Cache)

Memory:64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz (8x8GB)

Power Supply:1.5 Kilowatt Silverstone Strider

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 4-WaySLI capable)

Hard Drive (bay 1,2,3 and 4):512GB Samsung 830 Series - Solid State Drive

Raid Configuration: Raid 0
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 2:21:19 PM

I'd say Dual GTX 590 > Quad AMD HD 7970 Any day. Especially when you're paying that money for graphics card, drivers must be perfect, and that's what going with nvidia will achieve. Also, it will perform better :D .
May 13, 2012 2:29:57 PM

Go for 2 690s, less heat and power consumption.
Related resources
May 13, 2012 2:34:36 PM

Quad SLI 690 is perfect in the world to own it and experience the highest performance which is equivalent to 4xSLI 680 cards.

I would like to say even a single 690 can be a great in the range of graphic cards.Even I am getting 690 due to its performance on 3D vision.

Good luck. :) 
May 13, 2012 4:29:02 PM

Do you have a budget? Or did NASA just scarp its shuttle programme to get you this comp?

May 13, 2012 6:25:02 PM

It said the quad amd 7970 can be overclocked would that make it perform better than the dual gtx 690?
a c 595 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 6:28:10 PM

Quad scaling and driver problems will ruin any chance of the 7970's delivering on the promise of better performance. Get the GTX 690('s).
May 13, 2012 6:29:41 PM

No I struck oil under my house. No seriously I have a budget nothing more than £35000 ($56255).
May 13, 2012 6:32:50 PM

quad sli is useless if you're a real gamer as it introduces too much input lag. I think one gtx 690 is what you want, or you could try 3way 680s. Just get a 690 though. Also your hex-core isn't any better than the latest ivy bridge or even a 2500k for that matter for games.
May 13, 2012 8:11:37 PM

Dude someone report him.. he just robbed a bank..

Frankly i am not sure what you plan on doing with that much of a comp.!! Unless you setting up like a wall of screens , i have no idea what you plan on doing with so much GPU power.

This is like 3 gaming rigs..
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 8:17:14 PM

17seconds said:
Quad scaling and driver problems will ruin any chance of the 7970's delivering on the promise of better performance. Get the GTX 690('s).


Totally agree here with matto on the 7970, the 690 is the best choice.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 8:28:48 PM

It's too bad AMD can't put a few more $$ to drivers. I switched to nvidia 3 generations ago and have been reluctant to go back to the AMD camp. If AMD drivers we not the black cloud over AMD's head they would have sold many more cards.
-Bruce
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 8:39:58 PM

i don't understand what issues people have with amd/nvida drivers... i own computers with both and never have had driver issue with anything... I think "driver issues" is code for "I don't know what caused that to happen"

Topic: 690's flex your peen, 3x 27" monitors? 3D? if i had that budget id pay off school and get a laptop LOL!
a c 191 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 9:12:19 PM

I feel like this computer is going to be complete overkill, but the dual 690's are going to be much better.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 9:13:34 PM

Even a single 690 is awesome.
May 14, 2012 3:24:46 AM

crossfire has much more microstutter than sli, driver/hardware issue. nvidia just does it better.
May 14, 2012 7:09:51 PM

What processor should I choose out of intel remeber money is not an issue so I want the best of the best
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 7:37:43 PM

i7 3960X is the fastest CPU in the world for gaming right now.
June 9, 2012 5:32:56 PM

JJuuBB said:
Hello,
I'm custom building a pc from origin and I don't know which card to get at first i went with the nvidia since a single one is better than a single amd hd 7970 liquid cooled but then it said it's quad and can be overclocked so now i don't know which to get.

I'm getting mainly for gaming so I would go with the one with a better display. Money isn't an issue.

Specs:-

Processor:o verclocked Intel Core i7 3960X 4.5GHz - 5.2GHz LGA 2011 Hex-Core Processor (15MB L3 Cache)

Memory:64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz (8x8GB)

Power Supply:1.5 Kilowatt Silverstone Strider

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 4-WaySLI capable)

Hard Drive (bay 1,2,3 and 4):512GB Samsung 830 Series - Solid State Drive

Raid Configuration: Raid 0

I got 2gtx690
Scale very bad. Like 1 gtx690
Don't buy them!!!
June 9, 2012 5:36:48 PM

JJuuBB said:
What processor should I choose out of intel remeber money is not an issue so I want the best of the best

Ok
Get 4way sli gtx680 ftw, the 4gb version.
For os get 2 barracuda hard drives in raid 0.
3tb each, the fast one have 5 discs par hdd. Perform 30% less than a ssd but have 20 times more space.

Good luck.
Ps if you wanna spend the most, there is a ssd for 20000$ on the market. Get that
September 13, 2012 8:08:07 PM

Its an awesome rig but it feels like you're building a sledge hammer to kill an ant lol. It's an overkill. You could give some of that money to a charoty
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 8:53:21 PM

I recently pulled the trigger and bought a GTX 690. I promise you, by itself it is already complete and utter overkill for any game out there at 1920x1200 or 2560 x 1600. 2 would just burning money.

If you have that massive budget, do 3 Way SLI with 4GB GTX 680's. 3 Way SLI cuts down on the microstuttering even more, and scales much better then Quad SLI.

Then you can just finish burning that money by getting those new 600GB Intel SSD's, throw em in RAID 0, and use WD 1TB Velcoiraptors for storage. Oh to have an unlimited budget, that's like everyone on this sites dream.
!