Sign in with
Your question

Powerful Gaming Computer (Price range 2000-3000€) - Feedback please

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2012 3:47:40 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm composing a new PC with the main purpose of gaming. Other than that it's mostly for browsing, watching movies, etc...
I'm also a piano player and have currently my Piano connected to my PC so I can play with a VST (Synthogy Ivory II). Considering this I don't know if I should get a sound card & what the benefits are.

Current Setup:

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel 1155 Core i5-3570K
Memory: Kingston DDR 16GB 1600MHz
GFX Card: 2x Gigabyte Geforce GTX670 2GB
Storage: Samsung 830 128GB

I'm planning to do a bit of overclocking but nothing spectacular so I still need a cooler, together with a good case & power supply (which I haven't decided yet, so any feedback on this is always welcome).

I chose the CPU because its performance is quite good even when its OC'ed. (I considered also 2600K & 3770K). More expensive CPU's don't bring the performance to justify the price in my opinion.
Same goes with SLI Geforce GTX670 vs GTX680.

What are your opinions on this setup? I don't really have a price range but I don't want to waste money for a minor performance boost. So the extra money has to be justified by performance.

More about : powerful gaming computer price range 2000 3000 feedback

July 6, 2012 3:56:17 PM

I'd still go for 2700k or 2600k IMO.
a c 288 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 4:37:13 PM

dansgas1000 said:
I'd still go for 2700k or 2600k IMO.

On a gaming system the extra features of the 2600K will be useless, and the 2700K is the exact same CPU with a slightly higher clock. If you're using other programs like CS5 and multimedia authoring applications then yeah it's worth it. But for games no.

Quote:
I'm also a piano player and have currently my Piano connected to my PC so I can play with a VST (Synthogy Ivory II). Considering this I don't know if I should get a sound card & what the benefits are.

You probably won't need one - your motherboard will be able to handle all the audio functions you need.

Quote:
What are your opinions on this setup? I don't really have a price range but I don't want to waste money for a minor performance boost. So the extra money has to be justified by performance.

A single 670 will be able to max out every game on 1080p for the next couple of years. Only if you're using multiple displays or resolutions higher than 1080p do you need more than one.
Related resources
July 7, 2012 6:10:26 PM

On my old PC I don't have any soundcards either and it works fine for my piano, I am just wondering what the advantages or improvements are with a soundcard.

About the GFX cards, I'm running dual screen and will continue to do so. I'm not sure what kind of screens I'm going to get, but it won't be huge ones. Other than that I'm a pretty competitive gamer and I want a strong performance. So when I'm buying a better pc, why not get SLI super power :p 

Thanks for the feedback so far!
a c 288 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 8:27:55 PM

Elishia said:
On my old PC I don't have any soundcards either and it works fine for my piano, I am just wondering what the advantages or improvements are with a soundcard.

About the GFX cards, I'm running dual screen and will continue to do so. I'm not sure what kind of screens I'm going to get, but it won't be huge ones. Other than that I'm a pretty competitive gamer and I want a strong performance. So when I'm buying a better pc, why not get SLI super power :p 

Thanks for the feedback so far!

You really only need a sound card if you're hooking into some super high end audio equipment - for the most part everything is USB-based anymore so even that's kind of a moot point.

As far as graphics go - if you want to run SLI, that's fine. But gaming on two monitors for the most part is pretty useless with first and third person games. A better suggestion would be to drop the second card and add a third monitor - the GTX 670 will be capable of maxing out everything on up to three displays for a couple of years, you can always add a second one in later.
July 8, 2012 8:01:11 PM

I updated the PC with the last components:

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel 1155 Core i5-3570K
CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
Memory: Kingston DDR 16GB 1600MHz
GFX: 2x Gigabyte Geforce GTX670 2GB
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860
Case: Fractal Design Define R3

Any last suggestion or thoughts before I order this?

Thanks in advance!
July 9, 2012 7:41:59 PM

Still doing research and changed 2 things in my spec:

CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS12X
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850AX

as I don't get any replies I would think my build is pretty ok.
So I'm going to order this setup tomorrow.

Thanks to those who replied, I really appreciate your time!
a c 288 4 Gaming
July 9, 2012 10:46:02 PM

Elishia said:
Still doing research and changed 2 things in my spec:

CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS12X
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850AX

as I don't get any replies I would think my build is pretty ok.
So I'm going to order this setup tomorrow.

Thanks to those who replied, I really appreciate your time!

The Noctua NH-U9B will be a better choice than that Zalman will.
!