Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
The problem is the computer does not POST

i5 2500k
7970 msi
gigabyte z77x d3h
750w coolermaster psu
8gb corsair 1600mhz

I tried connected the bare minimum to the MB just the CPU, CPU cooler, RAM and power and do not get any output on my monitor through D-SUB but the CPU fan spins up and then stops after about 6-7 secs and repeats continuously.

I also tried connecting another monitor via hdmi (both from the back panel and the gpu)and the same result (spinning fan and no output on screen).

I have so far tried:

Repositioning CPU
Varieties of RAM slot combinations (both 1 and 2 sticks)
2 monitors (one is a tv with hdmi in)
Resetting the CMOS battery
Also my power connectors are firmly in (both CPU and MB power)

I believe the problem is the motherboard as hdmi from the GPU didnt work.

Also I connected the front panel led to the beep code speaker thing :) (the speaker is 4 pins so I connected the end pins) and it gives constant brief flashes while its on, I don't know whether this equates to beeps but anyway what does it mean?

What do you guys think?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
god well one think you can try is plug the cpu into the sys_fan port instead of the cpu_fan

do you still have coverage on the motherboard because it sounds like a mobo problem if nothing works and randomly things go on and off

also test to make sure that your psu is not dead

potatobabe

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Yeah just tried using the sys fan now, same thing happened. I've got cover I think :) . I'll try the paperclip test on the psu but its seems like it is providing enough power

potatobabe

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
update! I tried starting it without the 4/8 pin cpu power connector and it showed different symptoms it now only spins up for a fraction of a second and no repeats.
I think this means the CPU is fine and the MB can detect the CPU.
This shifts the blame and now it has to be MB or RAM.
Does anyone know if its common to get two sticks of bad ram in a pair?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Its certainly not common. Any time I got bad RAM, which was only once out of the dozen or so sticks I have bought, and only then one stick was bad out of several pairs. Chances are its the MB that is bad.