Help with a CPU comparison

scottyl33

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
I'm new. I have a p-4 3.0ghz w/ 800 front side bus MB. I'm thinking of buying the Althon 3400+...My question is will I see a BIG difference in performance? I'm also using the geforce 6800 gt video card.

A big difference NO. you will se a small improvemenr in a few games . But we are talking a difference that you would need to benchmark to see. Were talking a 12 to 15%maximam gain.
So from 30 frames per second to34-35 frames per second AT BEST on games like DOOM3 or any other CPU bound game. Most games will show very minimal difference.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
3.0ghz cpu from Intel is already fast for about anything. It may not be the fastest, but fast enough. If you desire more speed, just overclok it to gain a little more speed if your motherboard support O/C. 3.0ghz should O/C to 3.4ghz fairly easy with decent memory and cooling. I do not know how much FPS you would gain from O/C, but it will be slight and will probably does not make a difference in gaming experience. If the game is fun to play, it is fun to play.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 3.2E OC to 3.6 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A

scottyl33

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
So, like with half-life 2..I really won't see a big FPS difference? I just wanted to make sure that with the geforce 6800 gt that my 3.0ghz wasn't being a bottleneck.

Anyone recommond a faster chip? Something that will give a nice FPS increase?

Scott

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scottyl33 on 04/16/05 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Common guy.. is your game playable and fun on your current system??? Why upgrading only for FPS if you have enough?? If your game run smooth enough right now, why dont you wait some more and upgrade for something that will really make sense, like dual core, faster HDD, better optical drives.

Even if your CPU bottleneck your game at 80 FPS, having them at 90 wont do more pleasure to you...

But, having something like a Raptor HDD will really speed those loading time between level, as well as making your system feel snappier.

But that is your money.. and why should i care..

Ok, get at least a 4000+ AMD, the FX being still better if you really want a fast CHIP. dump your current motherboard.. get the latest with SLI support and get another 6800GT (make sure that it is compatible with SLI, if your old one is not, throw it away and get 2 that are). Get 2 Raptor and RAID them. HDD are the slowest part of the computer and you dont want to have a super fast computer wasting time waiting for the HDD and levels to load.. Oh.. dont forget your PSU.. get the bigger branded one.. nothing less that 550W here.. you wont hesitate to pay 100$ more for a good PSU after spendinf all those $$$$ on a fast computer only to get FPS... And what about the case. Such a nice system need a better home than a standard beige one.. get neons, windows, fancy fans, and fan controller with options that make it looks like a computer by itself..

happy now? NO.. hey, you wont play those fantastics games on a boring monitor.. get the Dell Ultrasharp 2005FP. 20 inches of full glory able to display clear images with a maximum resolution up to 1680x1050 pixels and fast 12 ms response time. Sure, that wont give you mpre FPS, even if it is the goal you want to achieve, but it will display the one you have way better..

Your game need to sound good.. go digital. Digital sound card, digital speakers.. that all you need.

Then you might not have enough money left to go out and have a beer with friend, but you dont care.. you have a nice computer that you'll be playing on all the time now...

So, if you want to upgrade and see a difference, dont do only the CPU..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

pat

Expert
No.. you too right.. He needs memory that will impress.. Nothing less than the Corsair with the LEDs.. I dont have any problem spending his money.. faster should be considered too, for overclocking. So why not get a super cooler right now?

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

scottyl33

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
OK, thanks for they helpful posters. I just wanted to see if there was a chip/mobo combo that would improve my speed. I didn't mean to sound cocky about it. Just asking a question.

Scott

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>I've been like observing this thread for 3hrs now... boring!

What is boring.. ? if you are observing a THG thread for 3 hours, I assume you are referring to your life ?

;)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =