Sign in with
Your question

One PC on network has access problem after ISP change

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 30, 2011 6:33:21 PM

Just changed from a DSL line (3M/512k) to a cable modem due to lower cost and the increased cable speed (20M/2M).
Speed and cost were the only issues. I had no problems with anything on the network.

My network currently consists of three computers (A Notebook, Netbook, and a PC), a Wii, and two Droid X’s.

Immediately following the change of ISP the PC will not access the internet on a consistent basis. The change in ISP meant I went from my Linksys router to the Brighthouse network (BHN) Ubee modem/router combo.
The computer will access and load a web page normally ~50% of the time, Server Not Found 40%, and last 10% is text only with no style sheet (I believe that’s the correct terminology).
Issues is the same regardless of browser (Primarily use Firefox but use IE when a webpage forces me to).
None of the other devices appear to be having any issues.

The PC is running Windows 7 so I poked around the Net trying to see if there was an issue there, didn't come up with anything that helped.
I’ve also searched around the web and have tried the following:
• PC was wirless, switched from wireless card (older D-link) to on-board NIC card with no changes.
• Switched to Google DNS vs. Auto
• Requested service call from BHN. Tech said line was “normal”. (I have the upstream/downstream noise levels from the Modem if it would help anyone.) He swapped out Modem as a hail marry pass. No joy.
• Full virus scan (AVG Free already installed. Nothing found)
• Full Malware scan (Ad-Aware & Malwarebyte) Found & correct items but no effect on trouble.
• Rebuilt Winsock (netsh Winsock reset & reboot)
• Flushed DNS Cache (ipconfig /flushdns)
Plus half a dozen other things I cant remember right now....

From the PC I’ve Pinged the netbook, router, Google, and another web site.

First attempt at pinging an external website failed to find host. Retyped command and everything went as it should.

C: \Users\Mother>ping www.samsclub.com -t
Ping request could not find host www.samsclub.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\Mother>ping www.samsclub.com -t
Pinging e2978.b.akamaiedge.net [96.16.172.55] with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 96.16.172.55:
Packets: Sent : 133, Received 133, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in mull-seconds:
Minimum : 64ms, Maximum 76ms, Average : 66ms

While running the Ping test below to Google, the browser would not connect. Upon refresh it did.

Ping statistics for 209.85.157.99:
Packets: Sent = 791, Received = 791, Lost = 0 (0 loss),
Approximate round trip times in mull-seconds:
Minimum : 2Oms, Maximum : 4lms, Average 24ms

No issue Pinging router, Pinging the Netbook did show some packet loss.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.6:
Packets: Sent : 393, Received : 381. Lost 12 (3 loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum : ims, Maximum : 188ms, Average LIms

Since this issue is only on the PC I'm assuming it isn't the Router/Modem. But its the only thing that has changed??
I'm pulling whats left of my hair out !!
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
August 30, 2011 10:14:53 PM

Check the DNS settings on that PC. Make sure it is using the DNS from the router (DHCP), and not a hard-coded server.
m
l
!