Closed Solved

Which power supply is better?

Is more expensive really better?

SILVERSTONE Strider Gold Evolution SST-ST85F-G 850W

or

ENERMAX Platimax EPM850EWT 850W
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which power supply better
  1. The enermax power supply is a 80 plus platinum power supply which means it will have a higher amount of efficiency over the gold power supplies. I don't know much about the silverstone psu I have seen the enermax platimax around if you were however going to go with a gold 80 plus I would go with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=corsair%20ax850

2. I would put any one of these supplies in a quality build - what sort of $$ are we talking about?
    -Bruce
  3. money and what are your intentions build wise?
  4. The Silverstone units are made by Enhance Electronics and the Enermax units are actually made by Enermax. Both lines are very highly rated. I agree with dish_moose, either would be a great choice for a high quality build.
  5. Guys I was thinking the same thing both are good. I have a silverstone zeus 650 watt that is runnign good for many many years. My doubt was the rails. Silverstone only has single rails now,The enermax has 4 like my old silverstone. I am doing a slow build up, Thinking Rampage iv with 64 gig memory and extreme processor. I was reading allot and many debates on single versies multiple rails for safety protection of parts. Both have same dimensions. Its a 50.00 difference but the silverstone raven 3 case i got for this build of course recommends silverstone power supplies.
  6. Best answer
    Yea I don't think you could go wrong with either power supply you suggested. I wouldn't spend the extra to get to 80 plus platinum unless it was something you really wanted. I have a corsair ax850 and I love it its a single rail power supply I'm not sure what the ups and downs are but I know there are plenty of large 12v single rail power supplies out there.

Intel Core i5 2500k
    Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional
    Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
    LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
    CM Storm Sniper
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    Corsair Hydro H100
  7. Best answer selected by maximiza.