FarmerJ0e

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi guys :D

My old pc worked fine in cod4 @ 125 fps. (Gfx card: gt240 Nvidia)
I got a new pc but I am still using the old screen (LG 19" 1360x768 LCD input: VGA). My new pc (gfx card : gtx 550 ti from Inno 3D) has horizontal lines on my screen that goes away if I enable v-sync. I don’t understand why it has sync problems since both pc's frame rate on the game is the same why does the one not have those lines.

I bought a new screen (LG 23" 1920x1080 LED input: DVI, VGA) and it still has sync problems when I use VGA. When I pause my cod4 game it goes to the menu where there is a bit transparency so that u can still see whats going on in game. Using the VGA input the image is smooth (but has horizontal lines) and when I switch to DVI input the image in the back looks low quality.

The DVI displays for eg. A glow that you can see the different phases of which the fade exist, like contour lines instead of fading out unnoticeable.

FarmerJ0e

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
ty for reply ,, its already set @ 60 hz . the real ploblem with this is that images don't show up on my screen as good as they did on my old pc , the VGA has lines and the DVI has crap quality.

FarmerJ0e

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

i think the cables are fine. I used fraps to take a screenshot of the game and the quality on the photo was just as crap as it is in realtime when i play the game. i gues fraps captures the signal straight from the card so i dont think its the cables.

It's called 'screen tearing effect'. It happens when graphics card draws more frames per second than the monitor can display, and it draws into screen half done frames. When I got my new PC, on older games I started noticing it. Hell, even on new games that are over 60 fps, even more demanding like Crysis 2 indoor scenes, when viewing around, screen tearing is unbearable. My suggestion: download latest beta drivers:

64 bit - http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/43891
32 bit - http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/43909

and in nvidia control panel force adaptive vsync for all applications. That's how I fixed my issue.

Just so there is no confusion. Screen tearing can happen at any FPS on any refresh rate, but at FPS above your refresh rate, you are guaranteed to get screen tearing. When you do get screen tearing below your refresh rate, it's often not as noticeable.

FarmerJ0e

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
i would like to fix the DVI issue rather than finding a work around with VGA. VGA works fine now that ive enabled sync :) BUT i want to figure out if the DVI problem is my card so i can take it back where i bought it.