Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Check computer build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 6, 2012 6:00:45 PM

I'm new to the DIY world of building computers, and I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out, or if I'm overlooking something important. Here's the current setup:

CPU: Intel i7 3820

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X79 Extreme3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

CASE: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HD: Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SATA CABLE: Rosewill 19.7" Serial ATA III cable

GPU: EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480

CPU FAN: Intel RTS2011AC CPU Cooler

POWER SUPPLY: APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

I already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Do all of these work together? Or is there a component I can change/add to make it cheaper and or better?

The total price of the build is $988 before shipping.

More about : check computer build

July 6, 2012 6:48:21 PM

First off Apevia power supplies are absolute crap. Second, what's the build going to be used for? If it's gaming don't use X79, especially on a build that inexpensive.

You don't need extra SATA cables as your motherboard should come with some, and you can get a way better GPU than the 480 for that price.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 6:56:56 PM

g-unit1111 said:
First off Apevia power supplies are absolute crap. Second, what's the build going to be used for? If it's gaming don't use X79, especially on a build that inexpensive.

You don't need extra SATA cables as your motherboard should come with some, and you can get a way better GPU than the 480 for that price.


Well good thing I asked!! So I need a power supply with 700W for the graphics card, but if I'm going with a different graphics card, I suppose I can rethink that.

SO: I would like to use it for gaming, 60+ fps on high quality (AA turned off probably) for most games. I will be upgrading it in the future to a better graphics card (for budget purposes), but for now I would like to keep it under $1000. I chose the x79 because that's the only motherboard (that I know of) that will work with the 3820 i7.

Any thoughts on what you would change if you were doing this yourself? And a cheaper graphics card, maybe AMD?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 7:00:30 PM

fuseMan91 said:
Well good thing I asked!! So I need a power supply with 700W for the graphics card, but if I'm going with a different graphics card, I suppose I can rethink that.

SO: I would like to use it for gaming, 60+ fps on high quality (AA turned off probably) for most games. I will be upgrading it in the future to a better graphics card (for budget purposes), but for now I would like to keep it under $1000. I chose the x79 because that's the only motherboard (that I know of) that will work with the 3820 i7.

Any thoughts on what you would change if you were doing this yourself? And a cheaper graphics card, maybe AMD?


Actually for games the GPU is the most important part of the build, and X79 will not be a good choice. X79 is more for multimedia authoring (CS5) and CAD / CAM programs than it is for a gaming rig. Z77 is more gaming oriented as it has features that work with the better GPUs on the market. And an air fan is way better than that Intel closed liquid loop will be.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($256.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $929.45
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Add OS and you're good to go.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:02:49 PM

Socket 1155 chips/boards have much better value I would buy one of those instead. The 480 is a good card for the price, my friend bought one last week for $199. Sick value right there, pretty much unbeatable price/performance. Get a better psu like an antec, seasonic, or corsair. i5 3570k with a z77 motherboard, and you'll be good.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:06:14 PM

ehanger said:
Socket 1155 chips/boards have much better value I would buy one of those instead. The 480 is a good card for the price, my friend bought one last week for $199. Sick value right there, pretty much unbeatable price/performance. Get a better psu like an antec, seasonic, or corsair. i5 3570k with a z77 motherboard, and you'll be good.


The problem with the 480 is that it runs incredibly hot and uses like twice the power that the newer GPUs use. I have a 470 and I eventually took it out for good because it was generating too much heat and causing my PSU to go haywire, and I'm running a 5830. The 7850 uses like 1/2 the power that the 480 does and it gets better numbers.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:07:45 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Actually for games the GPU is the most important part of the build, and X79 will not be a good choice. X79 is more for multimedia authoring (CS5) and CAD / CAM programs than it is for a gaming rig. Z77 is more gaming oriented as it has features that work with the better GPUs on the market. And an air fan is way better than that Intel closed liquid loop will be.

Add OS and you're good to go.


This build is genius. So this should stick me at around 60+ fps?

Also, is the Corsair case any better than the Rosewill? The Rosewill is a bit cheaper and I like the blue led... :whistle: 
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 8:32:48 PM

fuseMan91 said:
This build is genius. So this should stick me at around 60+ fps?

Also, is the Corsair case any better than the Rosewill? The Rosewill is a bit cheaper and I like the blue led... :whistle: 


I like the cable management features of the Corsair better than a lot of cases - the Rosewill is fine, if you want to use it, I won't stop you.

And yes the Radeon 7850 will pretty much max out everything at 1080p, it might struggle a bit on higher resolutions.
m
0
l
!