Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$600 gaming build neede please help

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 6, 2012 6:04:34 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming I want to start a little programming as well and then other every day things like web browsing videos maybe a little photoshop

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS (I can buy Windows 7 Ultimate for $10)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Tiger Direct (I would prefer not to use Newegg beings I would have to pay an extra 9.25% sales tax)

Country: US

Parts Preferences: Doesn't matter just whatever has the best quality and value

Overclocking: Maybe, but most likely not

SLI or Crossfire: maybe in the future, but not right now

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Doesn't need to be flashy just looking for a good setup for the money.I have been looking at this on Tiger Direct: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=B69-0558 If you can build something better for the money I would really love your help. I can probably do $650. I want something that I can upgrade when it needs to be upgraded so I can use this build for more than just a couple years.

More about : 600 gaming build neede

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 6:20:38 PM

the link to the tigerdirect rig is broken.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 6:31:13 PM

quilciri said:
Do you live near a microcenter?

Locations at the top.
http://www.microcenter.com/index.html

No I don't live near one. These are the barebones I'm looking at. Keep in mind I'm not going to only game and I want to be future proof for at least 3 years.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... plus this GPU
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

OR

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Please don't be a biased fan boy(not saying you are) and what would be the best for the money I have 600 cash right now and would have to borrow the extra 60 to get that intel system
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 7:00:21 PM

The 7770 will struggle at 1920x1080 already and will be in a bad way in 3 years. Be back with a build in a few.
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:07:40 PM

Okay thank you
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 7:25:07 PM

This rig will max out most games @1920 with ludicrous framerates. Very demanding games, like crysis 2 or metro 2033, it will run at near-max settings & good framerates.

case: Zalman Z9 Plus ($50@NCIX)

PSU: Corsair TX650 ($63@NCIX)

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 ($83@tigerdirect)

CPU: Phenom II 965 Black ($110@NCIX)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gb (2x4) 1333 ($42@tigerdirect)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb ($65@tigerdirect)

Optical: ASUS 24x DVD-RW ($15@NCIX)

Video Card: EVGA GTX 480 ($200@tigerdirect)

$628 total.

have fun!
m
0
l
July 6, 2012 7:44:23 PM

quilciri said:
This rig will max out most games @1920 with ludicrous framerates. Very demanding games, like crysis 2 or metro 2033, it will run at near-max settings & good framerates.

case: Zalman Z9 Plus ($50@NCIX)

PSU: Corsair TX650 ($63@NCIX)

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 ($83@tigerdirect)

CPU: Phenom II 965 Black ($110@NCIX)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gb (2x4) 1333 ($42@tigerdirect)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb ($65@tigerdirect)

Optical: ASUS 24x DVD-RW ($15@NCIX)

Video Card: EVGA GTX 480 ($200@tigerdirect)

$628 total.

have fun!


Thank you
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 7:56:28 PM

You're welcome :) 

The Piledriver CPU's will be out late this year, and speed steps of that processor will probably continue through the end of next year. That'll be your best bet if/when you decide you want more CPU juice.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 8:02:43 PM

Oh, and if you do decide to overclock, you'll need more than the stock cooler. Coolermaster's Hyper 212 is a standby and a good value (runs about $27).

This is also a good cheapy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
even with sales tax and shipping, it still comes in under $20.

good luck!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 8:05:12 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. EVGA cards have a lifetime warranty, but make sure you register the card within 30 days of purchase.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 12:45:27 AM

quilciri said:
You're welcome :) 

The Piledriver CPU's will be out late this year, and speed steps of that processor will probably continue through the end of next year. That'll be your best bet if/when you decide you want more CPU juice.

Will the piledriver have a 3+ socket and would it be better to get an i5 3570k or what
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 12:55:28 AM

okay and will that CPU that you gave me in your build earlier be fast enough to run games and do some programming, but not at the same time of course. I understand that most of the power will be needed on the gpu but i want something that will be smooth without oc cause i dont want to yet but when i get that new cpu ill get a better heatsink and oc then so would you say better for the futre i5 or the amd setup
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 12:56:18 AM

gjudd said:
Will the piledriver have a 3+ socket and would it be better to get an i5 3570k or what


The motherboard in my build will support piledriver CPU's. A 3570k is better, but also costs twice as much.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 12:59:53 AM

quilciri said:
The motherboard in my build will support piledriver CPU's. A 3570k is better, but also costs twice as much.

Okay thanks would it be better to get the CPU you suggested orwould it be better to get a Fx 4100 or a 4170
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 1:03:47 AM

The 965 is balanced with the 480, and the rig is powerful. Very demanding games (crysis 2, metro 2033, etc) can be run at near-max settings while averaging 50 fps @1920x1080. Any other game can be maxed at well over 60 fps.

The processor is plenty for coding, though I'm assuming you won't be brewing any triple-A gaming titles with this rig :) 
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:05:39 AM

quilciri said:
The 965 is balanced with the 480, and the rig is powerful. Very demanding games (crysis 2, metro 2033, etc) can be run at near-max settings while averaging 50 fps @1920x1080. Any other game can be maxed at well over 60 fps.

The processor is plenty for coding, though I'm assuming you won't be brewing any triple-A gaming titles with this rig :) 

haha yea would it be worth an extra 20 bucks for the 4100- it has more cache and faster clock speed
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:11:19 AM

actually only 10 bucks more
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 1:12:29 AM

gjudd said:
Okay thanks would it be better to get the CPU you suggested orwould it be better to get a Fx 4100 or a 4170


Doesn't really matter. The 4170 will be slightly faster than the 965 at stock speeds, but also costs slightly more. The 4100 is slower at stock speeds, but has a slightly higher overclock ceiling.

Both FX processors, however, are not 4 true cores. eair pair of cores shares a single floating point unit, and a single level 2 and 3 cache. Windows 7 also doesn't distribute workloads well to the FX processors. It would be ideal to use one core of each module before loading the second one, so each running core can have it's own cache and FPU for as long as possible, but windows loads each core ina module before moving on to the next.

The phenoms have 4 true cores, each with their own FPU and l2/l3 cache. This translates into better gaming performance, as games make ample use of floating point units; so despite the FX series having higher clock speeds, they perform equally to the phenom's in games, and the phenom's tend to perform slightly better in day-to-day use.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:14:41 AM

gjudd said:
actually only 10 bucks more

No, the FX-41XX are not better gaming chips than the 965BE. Even in Tom's gaming CPU hierarchy (dubious when you compare between AMD/Intel, but solidly accurate among the same brand), the 965 is above the 41XX.

It's newer, but not really better. I've got a friend with a 965 (stock clocks) and a GTX 560, and he's able to run BF3 at high settings at 60FPS roughly (1680x1050 monitor).
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:14:52 AM

quilciri said:
Doesn't really matter. The 4170 will be slightly faster than the 965 at stock speeds, but also costs slightly more. The 4100 is slower at stock speeds, but has a slightly higher overclock ceiling.

Both FX processors, however, are not 4 true cores. eair pair of cores shares a single floating point unit, and a single level 2 and 3 cache. Windows 7 also doesn't distribute workloads well to the FX processors. It would be ideal to use one core of each module before loading the second one, so each running core can have it's own cache and FPU for as long as possible, but windows loads each core ina module before moving on to the next.

The phenoms have 4 true cores, each with their own FPU and l2/l3 cache. This translates into better gaming performance, as games make ample use of floating point units; so despite the FX series having higher clock speeds, they perform equally to the phenom's in games, and the phenom's tend to perform slightly better in day-to-day use.

Okay thanks that makes sense and so is the new gen of amd cpus are they going to work good with windows 8
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:17:31 AM

mousseng said:
No, the FX-41XX are not better gaming chips than the 965BE. Even in Tom's gaming CPU hierarchy (dubious when you compare between AMD/Intel, but solidly accurate among the same brand), the 965 is above the 41XX.

It's newer, but not really better. I've got a friend with a 965 (stock clocks) and a GTX 560, and he's able to run BF3 at high settings at 60FPS roughly (1680x1050 monitor).

okay ty and so with a 480 what do you think i can run at 1080
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:48:32 AM

You can expect to get 60fps minimum out of a 480 in BF3 at 1080p.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 1:56:13 AM

quilciri said:

CPU: Phenom II 965 Black ($110@NCIX)

Video Card: EVGA GTX 480 ($200@tigerdirect)

$628 total.



Holy over-powering the GPU Batman! This isn't an SBM, he actually wants to use the PC for a few years. The IB build is way more future-proof.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 5:13:28 AM

inanition02 said:
Holy over-powering the GPU Batman! This isn't an SBM, he actually wants to use the PC for a few years. The IB build is way more future-proof.


...what Ivy bridge build? Are you referring to the sandy bridge build above that isn't actually valid anymore?

Gaming is the most CPU stressful thing this computer will be used for. Unless you're coding triple A titles, anything you can do to the processor in an IDE won't even compare.

Games are far more dependent on the GPU power for performance than the CPU. Consoles, and by correlation, HDTV's dictate the progress of gaming hardware now. PC only titles are few and far between (e.g. crytek). The next generation of consoles still target 1080p resolution, simply with more effects, and the PC industry will follow suit. Already you can see the shift away from pure processing power towards efficiency in both the CPU and GPU markets.

This build will be valid in all aspects for a long time. The industry will have to convince people to buy 4k TV's before you'll have to worry much about this system's solvency. There's a couple 4k TV's in R&D, but without content, they're gonna have a tough sell.

Besides. Ivy Bridge is the last processor line that will use 1155. Intel has planned speed steps through the end of 2012. You'd have to replace the entire platform to upgrade. AMD still has the piledriver chips yet to debut on the AM3+ platform, and they've planned piledriver chip releases through all of 2013.

In short, having a 2500k or 3570k is nice, but unnecessary and completely impractical in a $600 build who's highest priority, and biggest stressor is gaming.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 6:18:47 AM

quilciri said:
...what Ivy bridge build? Are you referring to the sandy bridge build above that isn't actually valid anymore?

Gaming is the most CPU stressful thing this computer will be used for. Unless you're coding triple A titles, anything you can do to the processor in an IDE won't even compare.

Games are far more dependent on the GPU power for performance than the CPU. Consoles, and by correlation, HDTV's dictate the progress of gaming hardware now. PC only titles are few and far between (e.g. crytek). The next generation of consoles still target 1080p resolution, simply with more effects, and the PC industry will follow suit. Already you can see the shift away from pure processing power towards efficiency in both the CPU and GPU markets.

This build will be valid in all aspects for a long time. The industry will have to convince people to buy 4k TV's before you'll have to worry much about this system's solvency. There's a couple 4k TV's in R&D, but without content, they're gonna have a tough sell.

Besides. Ivy Bridge is the last processor line that will use 1155. Intel has planned speed steps through the end of 2012. You'd have to replace the entire platform to upgrade. AMD still has the piledriver chips yet to debut on the AM3+ platform, and they've planned piledriver chip releases through all of 2013.

In short, having a 2500k or 3570k is nice, but unnecessary and completely impractical in a $600 build who's highest priority, and biggest stressor is gaming.

Thank you I was still partially undecided and you just made my mind up for me I am going to buy your system with a couple changes let me know what you think
New RAM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
New HD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
New PSU
http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456
Those are the changes I made to your rig. I know that that PSU is a cheapy but its 17 dollars cheaper and I would rather have a bigger better HD The RAM is more but it has better speed so let me know what you think and btw should i buy extra fans for that case or will the stock ones be sufficient (im not going to oc) and if i should buy new ones would it look cool to have red and blues combined or just stick with the factory all blue
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 7:49:56 AM

Acutally, that's not a half bad PSU. OCZ's modX line are made by Sirtec and are pretty decent.

RAM with tall heatsink fins may block some tower CPU coolers from being installed. Finned heatsinks on RAM are geared more towards overclocking. If you still want finned heatsinks instead of the flat ones on the ballistix, might I suggest low profile fins, such as g.skill ripjaws or any other manufacturer's shorter finned products?

enjoy!
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 7:52:54 AM

quilciri said:
Acutally, that's not a half bad PSU. OCZ's modX line are made by Sirtec and are pretty decent.

RAM with tall heatsink fins may block some tower CPU coolers from being installed. Finned heatsinks on RAM are geared more towards overclocking. If you still want finned heatsinks instead of the flat ones on the ballistix, might I suggest low profile fins, such as g.skill ripjaws or any other manufacturer's shorter finned products?

enjoy!
okay thanks. another question, should i get a ssd at 120 gb or should i get that TB hard drive and add a ssd later?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 8:08:45 AM

In a $600 build, stick with the mechanical hdd. Get an ssd later.

That RAM is better and will work with more coolers. There are lower profile ripjaws models, if you like.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can't upgrade from xp to 7. You need to do a clean install of 7.

hope this helps!
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 8:18:33 AM

quilciri said:
In a $600 build, stick with the mechanical hdd. Get an ssd later.

That RAM is better and will work with more coolers. There are lower profile ripjaws models, if you like.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can't upgrade from xp to 7. You need to do a clean install of 7.

hope this helps!

I know but can I use the anytime upgrade to do the put 7 on the system
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 8:36:39 AM

ah, gotcha. Unksol seems to have answered your question in the other thread.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 2:01:06 PM

gjudd said:
I know but can I use the anytime upgrade to do the put 7 on the system


Anytime Upgrade is to upgrade from one version of 7 to another, not from XP to 7. You'll have to do a fresh install to go from XP to 7 (though you would still qualify as an upgrade license, I believe).


m
0
l
July 7, 2012 2:06:42 PM

quilciri said:
...what Ivy bridge build? Are you referring to the sandy bridge build above that isn't actually valid anymore?

Gaming is the most CPU stressful thing this computer will be used for. Unless you're coding triple A titles, anything you can do to the processor in an IDE won't even compare.

Games are far more dependent on the GPU power for performance than the CPU. Consoles, and by correlation, HDTV's dictate the progress of gaming hardware now. PC only titles are few and far between (e.g. crytek). The next generation of consoles still target 1080p resolution, simply with more effects, and the PC industry will follow suit. Already you can see the shift away from pure processing power towards efficiency in both the CPU and GPU markets.

This build will be valid in all aspects for a long time. The industry will have to convince people to buy 4k TV's before you'll have to worry much about this system's solvency. There's a couple 4k TV's in R&D, but without content, they're gonna have a tough sell.

Besides. Ivy Bridge is the last processor line that will use 1155. Intel has planned speed steps through the end of 2012. You'd have to replace the entire platform to upgrade. AMD still has the piledriver chips yet to debut on the AM3+ platform, and they've planned piledriver chip releases through all of 2013.

In short, having a 2500k or 3570k is nice, but unnecessary and completely impractical in a $600 build who's highest priority, and biggest stressor is gaming.


He references an Ivy Bridge build he was considering above:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Anyhow, if he plans on actually becoming a developer, there are a lot more things to consider than "developing AAA titles" - most developers don't actually work on games. They work on applications that do data processing and DB tasks - either web front-end or app based. Most of the development jobs are web front-end dealing with a DB/web-service back-end.

Development of these may not require a world beating CPU (though you may wish you had one while waiting for a test run to complete), but it helps with things like compatibility testing using VMs, load testing, etc.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2012 7:41:02 PM

Load testing for DB's requires far more of storage I/O than it does of the processor. As far as VM's, I run 2k8 server, 2k3 s, XP, Fedora Core, and ubuntu 12.04 via VirtualBox on win 7 on top of this X3 455 machine with nary a hiccup - I've run 2k8, xp, fedora and ubuntu simultaneously.

Once again, his highest listed priority is gaming, not developing. My suggested build is great for gaming and still good for development. While the ivy bridge build would be better for development, it would be terrible for the first priority - gaming.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 7:52:23 PM

I think you all may be overthinking this...

Quote:
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming I want to start a little programming as well

Quote:
I want something that I can upgrade when it needs to be upgraded so I can use this build for more than just a couple years.


The X4 965/480 build suits this very nicely - it's a solid gaming rig that'll easily be capable of programming. Hell, my i5-2410m is perfectly capable of dealing with "a little programming." Socket AM3+ has options even down into 2013, so he'll still be solid there as well for upgrades. The motherboard isn't as feature rich as, say, a Z77 board, but most of those features are hardly helpful today (and likely won't be for a few more years).
m
0
l
!