What would make email addresses case sensitive?

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

My friend tells me that any email I send her that is not entirely
lower case - she never gets.

I tried a test of a few combos of upper & lower case, and sure enough,
she only received the one that was entirely lower case.

I tried a test of a few combos of upper & lower case, by sending test
emails to myself, and I received every one - no surprise to me since I
always thought case did not matter.

She is using Eudora and XP. Can anyone suggest where she might look
for a solution to this. Or is it her ISP?

Thanks

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> My friend tells me that any email I send her that is not entirely
> lower case - she never gets.
>
> I tried a test of a few combos of upper & lower case, and sure enough,
> she only received the one that was entirely lower case.
>
> I tried a test of a few combos of upper & lower case, by sending test
> emails to myself, and I received every one - no surprise to me since I
> always thought case did not matter.
>
> She is using Eudora and XP. Can anyone suggest where she might look
> for a solution to this. Or is it her ISP?
>
> Thanks

It's most likely your friend's ISP. They're probably running a UNIX based
mail server. All names in UNIX are case sensitive, so MARY, Mary and mary
would be three different names, unlike Windows which being case insensitive
would treat them all as the same name. UNIX mail servers can be set up to be
case insensitive, but your friend's ISP have chosen not to. Assuming they
know how.

There isn't much you friend can do other than impressing on her contacts the
importance of spelling her email address correctly and in lower case.

She could, of course, complain to her ISP and they might change their
policy. But don't hold your breath.

By the way, web site addresses can also be case sensitive (in fact at one
time they always were). It's a UNIX thing again.

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:51:30 -0000, "Mark Weinreb" <mark@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>It's most likely your friend's ISP. They're probably running a UNIX based
>mail server. All names in UNIX are case sensitive, so MARY, Mary and mary
>would be three different names, unlike Windows which being case insensitive
>would treat them all as the same name. UNIX mail servers can be set up to be
>case insensitive, but your friend's ISP have chosen not to. Assuming they
>know how.
>
>There isn't much you friend can do other than impressing on her contacts the
>importance of spelling her email address correctly and in lower case.
>
>She could, of course, complain to her ISP and they might change their
>policy. But don't hold your breath.
>
>By the way, web site addresses can also be case sensitive (in fact at one
>time they always were). It's a UNIX thing again.

I'll be jiggered. Thanks a meg.

it must be her ISP - mail server or your mail server?
do other people get your mixed case address emails?

If they do then its her ISP and thats a big boo boo,
she should contact her ISP and report their mistake

Kenny

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> My friend tells me that any email I send her that is not entirely
> lower case - she never gets.
>
> I tried a test of a few combos of upper & lower case, and sure enough,
> she only received the one that was entirely lower case.
>
> I tried a test of a few combos of upper & lower case, by sending test
> emails to myself, and I received every one - no surprise to me since I
> always thought case did not matter.
>
> She is using Eudora and XP. Can anyone suggest where she might look
> for a solution to this. Or is it her ISP?
>
> Thanks

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:53:08 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>it must be her ISP - mail server or your mail server?
>do other people get your mixed case address emails?
>
>If they do then its her ISP and thats a big boo boo,
>she should contact her ISP and report their mistake
>
>Kenny

Thanks

"geezer" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>My friend tells me that any email I send her that is not entirely
>lower case - she never gets.

The domain (following the @) is not case sensitive. Whether the
user (before the @) is case sensitive is up to the individual ISP./
Most have elcted to make that part case insensitive, but perhaps
your friend's ISP has case-sensitive user names.

I'm virtually certain this is not related to your operating system
or hers.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/