Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU Making High Pitched Noise

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2012 12:36:20 AM

Hi there,
So I've just finished upgrading my PC all by myself. I got a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Everything has been running nice and smoothly, but there's just one problem I've noticed since I got it up and running last night.

The PSU is making this high pitched noise while it's in use. When I first heard the noise I was worried it was my hard drive, but a thorough ear-to-component check found out it was the PSU making the noise, loud and clear. The noise basically starts happening as soon as the PSU fan starts spinning, and sometimes the noise will stop a little bit, only to come back again after a few seconds.

The PSU is just a stock one that came with my basic PC case when I got it like a year and a half ago, it's a 500W. Does it sound like it's the fan? Is there any way I can fix this myself or should I just go out a buy a good quality PSU to replace it?

~Matthew
a b ) Power supply
November 16, 2012 1:50:27 AM

Sounds like a replacement is in order for the power supply. It all depends on what you upgraded your system to , as to how many watts is needed to power your system now, from what you described it sounds like you a starting to overload the power supply hence the high pitched noise. New power supplies to consider are Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, OCZ ModExtreme, but stay away from Coolermaster.
November 17, 2012 2:45:50 AM

I upgraded to the following:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 Mobo
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core Black Edition CPU
8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1333 RAM

I'm still using an older video card which I haven't yet upgraded, it's the GeForce 8600 GT 512mb that recommends a 450W power supply, and I just have a single 300gb SATA HDD which hasn't been replaced for a few years either.

I guess upgrading the PSU would be a good idea anyway, I'd rather have something good quality that will last me a long time than have something that runs the risk of blowing up my PC.

Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2012 3:03:46 AM

Your PSU is showing signs of coil whine; it won't harm your components at all. Though, since it's a basic unit that came with your rig, I would definitely recommend it, as the previous poster had recommended.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a great deal on the Corsair CX500V2 at the moment on newegg - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu... $37.99 after mail-in-rebate ;) 
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2012 3:33:46 AM

any psu that comes with a case is likely to be of poor quality, unless its antec.
November 24, 2012 10:09:47 AM

Best answer selected by Strickens.
November 24, 2012 10:11:00 AM

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies :)  Now I can put aside getting a new PSU until I get a new monitor to replace my dying one :D 
!