[SOLVED] Sudden shutdown, no power afterwards.

ardeaf

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
First time poster, long time reader. I carefully built my new computer:

i5 3570k + hyper 212 evo
ASRock z77 extreme 4
Carbide 500r case
64 gb SSD drive
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance ram
ASUS GTX 670 DC2

And finally a HX750 from corsair, silver 80+.

When I first built it, the computer did not power on. I flipped the circuit switch on the back of the psu from on -> off -> on again, then tried to turn it on and it worked. I got windows installed, but then when I went to install my mobo drivers (from disc) it turned off about halfway through.

When I tried to turn it on again, the only thing that happened was the GPU LED was on. No fans, no other LED: just the GPU led where you plug it in.

So I removed every component except the cpu. Tried to power it up again: no dice. I made sure the 24 atx pins were in - they were. Made sure the 8 pin cpu plug was in - it was. Tried again to power it on, and it still didn't work. Then I removed my computer from the APC UPS it was plugged in (found out later that thing was WAY too low wattage -- 550 VA, 300 watts) and plugged it straight into the wall.

It powered up, so I put all my components back in and moved the PC back to only the surge protector side of the APC. The computer was powered for about ~1 hour while I installed all the drivers. I completely install all the drivers and when I went to move my old games from my old HD to my new SSD the computer shut down halfway through again. I wasn't paying attention so I thought it was just restarting cause of some driver/windows update. So I turned it back on and the same thing happened: when I tried to move files over to the new SSD, it abruptly shut down. No BSOD, no errors.

So I removed all the components again and tried to power up the computer with just the CPU and PSU plugged into the mobo. It completely will not turn on and when I checked, the LEDs on the GPU were on again. I plugged the PSU back into my older computer and it does the same thing: light up various LEDs (on the mobo this time), but non-responsive to the power button.

I am thinking my PSU was shipped DOA, and something was wrong with one of the rails. It could power the computer, but was not stable enough to do anything intensive like copying files from one HD to another.

Any thoughts? I am getting a refund for the PSU from newegg, but if there is anything else you think I should do, I'm open to suggestion.

ardeaf

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Also just to be clear: when I said "unresponsive to the power button", I was talking about the power button onboard the mobo, as well as the button on the front panel. I also tried clearing the CMOS both with the battery and with the button the back.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Patience grasshopper, the psu gurus might not be in your timezone and have yet to see your post. But from what you've said my guess would be your psu is faulty and you're going to have to rma it. You don't happen to have a psu tester that you can use to check it do you?

I'm not a PSU guru, however this is a classic PSU fail description.

You tested the failing PSU in your old PC and the symptoms moved from the new PC to the old one. "I plugged the PSU back into my older computer and it does the same thing: light up various LEDs (on the mobo this time), but non-responsive to the power button. "

As a cross check can you walk thru this list, especially the part about the 4 pin connector.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

ardeaf

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks guy. I have RMA'd it and I was just curious if you guys had any other opinions. I really appreciate the time you guys took to read my post. Thank you again.

ardeaf

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Okay, I received the new PSU a few days ago and things have been running so smoothly. Thanks for the responses. I have since returned the old one to Newegg for a full refund! They are refunding my old shipping, waiving restocking fees, and giving me free shipping on the RMA.

Thanks again guys.