Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Hello,

I recently purchased a Asus gtx 690, it barely fit into my computer but eventually it popped right in.
After about a day or 2 of playing games such as Battlefield 3, Crysis and Skyrim. I found out that Battlefield often dips below 60 fps in the multiplayer (Ultra settings) and i get an average fps of about 75, in Crysis i get the same fps as i did on my Evga gtx 570 (30-40 fps).
And also in Skyrim i am getting the same fps as my gtx 570. (30-40 fps in large city's).
Here is my setup.

Cpu: i7-2600k Overclocked to 4 ghz

Mobo: Asus p67 extreme6

Gpu: Asus Gtx 690

As for my psu, i am pretty sure it is a 850w but i am not sure since it's some ghetto psu i found in a store somewhere, but i have never had any problems with it.

If anyone could help me with my problem it would be greatly apreciated.

The thing that is generally overlooked it the power supply and people feel that just any old psu will do. That's not the case I can't tell you how many people come here with an issue and it usually turns out that thier problem is the psu and they have some ghetto psu they found in a store somewhere and figured hey it's a power supply and it should be good enough.
Have you enabled the SLI feature of the card? Otherwise your running a single gpu.
Now you just bought a GTX 690 which is a very expensive video card and the one thing you want to do now is get a psu of the same quality. Don't forget that very expensive video card depends on the power coming from that ghetto psu and the last thing that you want to happen is for that psu to ness up your video card.
The games that you mentioned BF3 and Crysis are very graphics intensive games and they will srtess out any card and thae fact that your getting the same fps as your 570 means there is something not right and I would start with the psu.

SeaSonic M12II 850 SS-850AM 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply
$149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
you pointed your own problem out, it has to be linked to your PSU not being able to power it. how many 6+2 or just 6pin connections does it have?

either be constructive, or don't post because it's a waste of your time just to call someone a troll... even if it is a troll...

monsta

Splendid

LOL

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Yea, too be honest i have only started gaming on the pc since last May so i didn't know and still don't know a whole lot about power supply's, graphics cards and all that jazz but i definitely see how my psu could be the problem. From what i have seen it has 2, 6 pin connectors for the gpu and one of them is a 6+2. And ofcourse my next question would be, what psu would you recommend?

I'm not as sure as others are, about your issue being the PSU.

You keep talking about how your minimum FPS have not changed from your 570, but you aren't telling us about your average or maximum FPS. It is quite common to have your minimum FPS to be the same with GPU upgrades. This is because in many games, like BF3 in multiplayer, and Skyrim inside towns, it is not the GPU that is holding back performance, but your CPU.

Are your average or maximum FPS also the same? or just the minimums?

Yea I felt I was going to die If I mentioned that the problem isn't the PSU.

A top quality psu is linked in my post.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Well in Battlefield 3 my average on ultra was about 35 fps and it's now averaging at about 70-80 but in Crysis and Skyirim my average is exactly the same as on my 570.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Well see, that's the problem. I don't know anything about my psu, as i had mentioned before it's as i call it, a ''ghetto'' psu. There is no brand on it no information about how many watts it is. And the reason for me not knowing anything about it is because my friend installed it for me because i had also mentioned that i did not and still don't know very much about computers. And as for the box it came in? Well it's probably recycled toilet paper by now.

Well be a good starting point when you upgrade the PSU, Also what's your monitor resolution?
Also, play BF3 single player and see how many FPS you get there.
The framerate drops have been a common issue in multi-player since the last BF3 update.

Then after spending $1000 on a video card you can certianly spend another $150 on a power supply that is the top rated brand to go along with your top quality video card. Don't forget there's two gpu'd on that board and they reuiqre a good amount of power.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

My resolution is 1920x1080, it doesn't seem like there is alot of difference with the fps in multiplayer and single player but my average in the single player would be around 80-90, never had any ''lag'' issues in the singleplayer though. But when i join a.. let's say Strike at Karkand server, i get around 40 fps, now that aint good.

Not necessarily , when there is a problem there is uaually a solution and you just have to find it. The psu that you have has no markings so you don't know the watts or the amps and if the card is underpowered then you won't get the full performance out of it. It will work because there is nothing wrong with the psu and there is enough power for it to function but when a 3D application is enabled the card want a lot more power to run it and if it can't get it then it won't give the full prtformance.
Did you enable SLI for the card?

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Yes i did enable SLI, I wasn't sure if it was working so i disabled it and with only one gpu running i didn't see that much of a difference in the fps, probably around a 30-40 fps difference overall.

G

Dude im pretty sure the corsair can handle the gtx 690 just as good as that psu you posted.I wasnt aware corsair made crap psu's.That tx 850 is every bit as good as what you posted if not better.Your only making him waste money he doesnt need to for something thats isnt any better.

30 to 40 fps is nothing to ignor and it does show that the psu is powering the 690 it's just that we don't know if it's powering it to it's fullest as you should be getting better fps then what you are getting. A game like Metro 2033 you would be getting around 67 fps.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/18

In BF3 you should be getting around 99 fps

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/21

In Crysis 2 around the same thing 93 fps

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/23

These three games are all beasts for video cards and other things factor into the overall fps , like the cpu and the ram. Not everybody has the exact same components and neither do the places that do the benchmarks. Also the fps will fluctuate in the game depending on the number of players and the action.
If you are really concerned about the fps that you are getting then you should call the tech support of the card and see if they feel it should be RMA'd.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

I think i'll start with getting a new psu, and if that doesn't fix it.. Tech support time.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Well, i'm willing to spend about 200 euro's (Yes i'm a eurofag) on a new psu. In the hope that it will fix my problem ofcourse.

G

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=218

No need to spend $150 when you can get this for $40 cheaper.Scored a 9.5/10 at johnny guru and trust me he is very strict with his scoring.The only perfect 10 ive seen there was i believe the corsair 1200 watt.There is just no need to spend $40 more on something that is of the same level or lesser.Theres times to blow cash and times when it isnt at all needed.

MickeyMicrowave

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Well, i'm back. (omg what a big surprise)

Alright so yesterday i bought GTA 4, the worst console port in console port history. Guess what my average fps is, 30. Yep i said 30. Now i still need to buy my new power supply so that might be the problem once again. But horrible fps on gta is not the only new problem i have encountered, my pc also likes to crash now every once in a while randomly while playing games, the first 2 times this happened while i was playing Risen 2, just walkin' around minding my own pirate business when suddenly my screen goes black, everything in my computer turns off except for my 690 which just goes nuts and the fan starts spinning like crazy.
The third time this happened.. well it happened just 30 minutes ago while playing GTA. As mentioned before i was lagging like crazy so i thought.. hmm let's mess around with some settings when BAM, it crashed again. Now it could be that i just have to get a new psu but the one i have now doesn't seem to even break a sweat, yes it is from some random unknown brand but still. I really shouldn't even be talkin about the thing since i don't know anything about it, but that is why i came back here since you guys helped me out last time.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS