Trapper strategy?

Hello, hunters.

I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either it's
the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).

My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?

Thanks in advance!

Nabuu a écrit :
> In article <1116943074.030289.238480@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, hunters.
> > I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either
it's
> > the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).
> >
> > My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?
>
> Why: Fire to get the extra DOT during melee; freeze to get in the
extra
> couple of shots.
>
> How:
> * Pet on defend (so he doesn't run off until you take damage)
> * Step to bow-range.
> * Take a few more steps fwd, but not close enough to aggro.
> * Set trap.
> * Step back those "few steps", but keep the enemy in more-or-less a
> straight line. NOTE: the traps are fairly generous with the
hit-radius,
> so don't worry if he's visually off a degree or two. Just do your
best
> and call "close enough."
> * Fire an arrow to draw the mob.
> * Keep firing. Assuming freeze trap, once he gets there & freezes,
you
> can send your pet, if you like.
>
> Variation: if you can draw aggro off your pet easily enough, you can
> send him before you fire the 1st arrow.
>
> * Option: once he freezes, lay another trap, and back away (in a
> straight line) again.
>
> Note: Backing up without looking can be dangerous ;)

Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand.

1) Isn't freezing trap like a sheep spell to take out an add? If so why
keeping on firing?
2) How do you lay a second trap? I can't do this in combat, can I?

Warr a écrit :
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand.
>
> 1) Isn't freezing trap like a sheep spell to take out an add? If so
why
> keeping on firing?
> 2) How do you lay a second trap? I can't do this in combat, can I?
>

> Yes you can , takes about 6-8 seconds. Put your weapons away
(whatever key
> you use for that) and un target the enemy , then run or walk away
until you
> can place down another trap.
>
> Ice Trap works great for if you are being chased. Aslong as you dont
get hit
> (And put your weapons away so you dont have a target) you can then
drop a
> trap as you are being chased and a lot of times the guy will run
right over
> it. Then stop and Bandage up or get far enough back to set your pet
on him
> and let him taste your Aim Shot....
>
> Just rem to never hit him with any Dot shots or the trap will break
right
> away.

*scratches head* I still don't see what you're talking about, I must be
confused, missing something or really stupid... What's the "trigger"
for the end of combat mode? I've always thought it was the "evade"
range of the monster. I'll give it a try tonight.

Warr wrote:
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Warr a écrit :
> > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand.
> >
> > 1) Isn't freezing trap like a sheep spell to take out an add? If so
> why
> > keeping on firing?
> > 2) How do you lay a second trap? I can't do this in combat, can I?
> >

> > Yes you can , takes about 6-8 seconds. Put your weapons away
> (whatever key
> > you use for that) and un target the enemy , then run or walk away
> until you
> > can place down another trap.
> >
> > Ice Trap works great for if you are being chased. Aslong as you
dont
> get hit
> > (And put your weapons away so you dont have a target) you can then
> drop a
> > trap as you are being chased and a lot of times the guy will run
> right over
> > it. Then stop and Bandage up or get far enough back to set your pet
> on him
> > and let him taste your Aim Shot....
> >
> > Just rem to never hit him with any Dot shots or the trap will break
> right
> > away.
> >

> *scratches head* I still don't see what you're talking about, I must
be
> confused, missing something or really stupid... What's the "trigger"
> for the end of combat mode? I've always thought it was the "evade"
> range of the monster. I'll give it a try tonight.
>
> Not sure , While in Combat I just Untarget (Click in the middle of
Nowhere
> to not have anything selected. I then sheath my weapons) Set your pet
on
> Passive so it does not defend and re-engage you in Combat. Then just
wait
> until the trap comes aviable.
>
> Other option you have it to Feign Death to break Combat and then Set
> Trap...
>
> Warr

I thought that when leaving combat the mob returns to full health (and
you loose the combat points if you're a rogue!) ?

> Hello, hunters.
>
> I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either it's
> the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).
>
> My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I use the Ice Trap when I have 2 mobs that are linked or a mob with a pet.

Lay down ice trap. Back up. Fire concussion and sting. Other Mob races to
trap.
Hope that first mob is dead before second un freezes.

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

Warr a écrit :
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand.
>
> 1) Isn't freezing trap like a sheep spell to take out an add? If so
why
> keeping on firing?
> 2) How do you lay a second trap? I can't do this in combat, can I?
>

> Yes you can , takes about 6-8 seconds. Put your weapons away
(whatever key
> you use for that) and un target the enemy , then run or walk away
until you
> can place down another trap.
>
> Ice Trap works great for if you are being chased. Aslong as you dont
get hit
> (And put your weapons away so you dont have a target) you can then
drop a
> trap as you are being chased and a lot of times the guy will run
right over
> it. Then stop and Bandage up or get far enough back to set your pet
on him
> and let him taste your Aim Shot....
>
> Just rem to never hit him with any Dot shots or the trap will break
right
> away.

*scratches head* I still don't see what you're talking about, I must be
confused, missing something or really stupid... What's the "trigger"
for the end of combat mode? I've always thought it was the "evade"
range of the monster. I'll give it a try tonight.

Not sure , While in Combat I just Untarget (Click in the middle of Nowhere
to not have anything selected. I then sheath my weapons) Set your pet on
Passive so it does not defend and re-engage you in Combat. Then just wait
until the trap comes aviable.

Other option you have it to Feign Death to break Combat and then Set a
Trap...

Warr

jeff

"Warr" <yeah@yeah.com> wrote in message

> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Warr a écrit :
>> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand.
>>
>> 1) Isn't freezing trap like a sheep spell to take out an add? If so
> why
>> keeping on firing?
>> 2) How do you lay a second trap? I can't do this in combat, can I?
>>

>> Yes you can , takes about 6-8 seconds. Put your weapons away
> (whatever key
>> you use for that) and un target the enemy , then run or walk away
> until you
>> can place down another trap.
>>
>> Ice Trap works great for if you are being chased. Aslong as you dont
> get hit
>> (And put your weapons away so you dont have a target) you can then
> drop a
>> trap as you are being chased and a lot of times the guy will run
> right over
>> it. Then stop and Bandage up or get far enough back to set your pet
> on him
>> and let him taste your Aim Shot....
>>
>> Just rem to never hit him with any Dot shots or the trap will break
> right
>> away.
>>

> *scratches head* I still don't see what you're talking about, I must be
> confused, missing something or really stupid... What's the "trigger"
> for the end of combat mode? I've always thought it was the "evade"
> range of the monster. I'll give it a try tonight.
>
> Not sure , While in Combat I just Untarget (Click in the middle of Nowhere
> to not have anything selected. I then sheath my weapons) Set your pet on
> Passive so it does not defend and re-engage you in Combat. Then just wait
> until the trap comes aviable.
>
> Other option you have it to Feign Death to break Combat and then Set a
> Trap...
>
> Warr

I am a lvl 60 mage, and the best place I've found for an ice trap is under a
friendly mages butt while he drinks. Nothing like a frozen rogue to make me
smile.

"Jonny Barr" <jonny_a_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Warr wrote:
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Warr a écrit :
> > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand.
> >
> > 1) Isn't freezing trap like a sheep spell to take out an add? If so
> why
> > keeping on firing?
> > 2) How do you lay a second trap? I can't do this in combat, can I?
> >

> > Yes you can , takes about 6-8 seconds. Put your weapons away
> (whatever key
> > you use for that) and un target the enemy , then run or walk away
> until you
> > can place down another trap.
> >
> > Ice Trap works great for if you are being chased. Aslong as you
dont
> get hit
> > (And put your weapons away so you dont have a target) you can then
> drop a
> > trap as you are being chased and a lot of times the guy will run
> right over
> > it. Then stop and Bandage up or get far enough back to set your pet
> on him
> > and let him taste your Aim Shot....
> >
> > Just rem to never hit him with any Dot shots or the trap will break
> right
> > away.
> >

> *scratches head* I still don't see what you're talking about, I must
be
> confused, missing something or really stupid... What's the "trigger"
> for the end of combat mode? I've always thought it was the "evade"
> range of the monster. I'll give it a try tonight.
>
> Not sure , While in Combat I just Untarget (Click in the middle of
Nowhere
> to not have anything selected. I then sheath my weapons) Set your pet
on
> Passive so it does not defend and re-engage you in Combat. Then just
wait
> until the trap comes aviable.
>
> Other option you have it to Feign Death to break Combat and then Set
> Trap...
>
> Warr

I thought that when leaving combat the mob returns to full health (and
you loose the combat points if you're a rogue!) ?

I am only talking about PVP vs People , I dont use a lot of traps Vs Mobs
unless I can trying to protect my back.

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, hunters.
>
> I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either it's
> the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).
>
> My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Depends what and why I'm trapping.

[1] I might stand away from the party and lay a trap and when the puller
bgins the group I hit the mob I want with an arcane shot or distratcing shot
or both if I have time. He leave the mobs and head on over to the trap and
freezes away from the aggro.

[2] I may lay a trap in front of the puller and when the first mob gets
frozen, lay another one at my feet. If it doesn't come for me, Ill give it a
reason to.

[3] In PVP I will be standing on a trap and when a rogue tries to get me he
freezes. I recover from the stun or whatever, put a bandage on and walk off
a few yards, feign death if I need to and lay another one. Then I aimed shot
the rogue followed by multi, arcane, etc. If he's heading my way he's going
to hit the next trap and I'll repeat. If he makes a break for it I'll conc
him, run over for a point blank scattershot and feign and freeze him again.

[4] In duels drop a trap as soon as you accept, or before. run around as if
you're checking your options and drop another one asap and back to the aimed
shot.

[5] While raiding the crossroads today a rogue chased me, I was half down on
health and somehow he was gaining on my epic mount. He had a carrot on a
stick trinket and was slowly catchig me up. Just as I was hitting full
health again, I dropped the mount and, while running, dropped a freezing
trap. He ran right into it. Aimed shot, yada, yada.

[6] if there's lots of horrible little things running around nipping away,
walk into the midle, feign death and drop an explosive trap.

Oh, obviously leave the stings out of the equation with traps. It might be
hard to to use them but you have to be a little more patient.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, hunters.
>
> I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either it's
> the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).
>
> My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?
>
> Thanks in advance!

To be honest, I don't use traps much. Every so often, I'll use fire trap for
a little extra punch to start a battle off with, as long as there are no
other baddies nearby....and freeze trap is almost REQUIRED to tame an elite
pet your level, if you wanna have time to give it a second go (in case the
first one fails, I mean) If the second one also fails...well, that healer
lady IS kinda pretty....

-[Blayde]-

On 24 May 2005 06:57:54 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Hello, hunters.
>
>I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either it's
>the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).
>
>My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?

Frost Trap I've never found much use for. Probably a lot of playstyle issue
there, but just not really my thing. Explosive trap is just too
situational...it doesn't do enough damage for the aggro it generates, and
the mana cost is quite large as well. Nice in that rare time when it is
justified, but otherwise not too great.

Fire Trap is lovely. I set those all the time for the little extra punch of
damage whenever it is needed. Especially nice pre-60 when fighting stuff
higher than you, since it never misses.

Freeze Trap does take some getting used to. Best way I've found to make it
work is to set it, back up a bit, then target the beastie you do NOT want
to capture, and hit it with concussion shot. The slowdown means that your
target will be the last thing to reach the trap, so the trap will get
triggered by something you aren't applying damage to. In a group, be sure
to mark the thing you are aiming for, and tell people to NOT HIT ANYTHING
ELSE. Most of the times when Freeze gets broken, it is someone else just
tab-targeting and not paying attention to what they are doing.

Everyone, thanks for the good replies.

The funny thing is that there are many ways to use traps, so many that
no two hunters trap the same way :)

I'll work on your tactics, and see which one I like best. It's still in
a draft state for me, but one of my tactics is to have the pet charge
one while I pull off the add with an arcane shot and immediately switch
to the pet's target for a sting. It's still a bit messy, but I'm sure
with your advices I'll be able to actually use them efficiently, thanks!

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, hunters.
>
> I'm currently messing a good 70% of my freezing trap lays (either it's
> the pet, or it's the viper sting, or the autoshot, etc...).
>
> My question is simple: when, why, and how do you lay your traps?
>
> Thanks in advance!

My reply is my trap strategy for Solo PvE play only.

If the mob is green or higher to me or if it takes more than a couple of
shots to kill I use the fire trap as additional damage. My strategy is to
move well within bow range but not in aggro range, lay the trap and back up.
I then sick the pet on the mob. Once pet has growled I command pet to
"Follow" until the mob is near the trap then I have pet attack the mob
again. Essentially using the pet to lure the mob onto the trap. This is
what I do 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent I lay the trap where
I stand, shoot the mob with pet on defensive and let the pet take the aggro
off me, back up and continue ranged.

If there are two mobs I want to split I move well within bow range but not
in aggro range and lay a Freeze Trap. I then back up and Concussion shot
the mob I want to kill. The other mob almost always hits the trap and is
frozen. I then sick pet on the mob I want to kill. I use a variation of
this sometimes which is to lay the trap essentially as I just said and then
I sick the pet on the mob I want to kill. When it is engaged I switch to the
other mob and use either autoshot or Distracting shot on it and then turn
off Autoshot or switch target to the mob I want to kill. Meanwhile the off
mob is running toward me and gets caught in the Freeze Trap. Three things
to be careful of with Freeze trap. 1) Do NOT use Serpent Sting on the mob
you intend to freeze as the dot damage will break the trap. 2) If you keep
your pet on defensive, make sure the Freeze Trap is out of melee range or
the pet will break it when the mob tries to hit you as it is frozen. 3) Do
NOT rely on Freeze Trap if the mob you intend to freeze is a ranged attacker
which includes casters.

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

On 25 May 2005 03:34:30 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Everyone, thanks for the good replies.
>
>The funny thing is that there are many ways to use traps, so many that
>no two hunters trap the same way :)
>
>I'll work on your tactics, and see which one I like best. It's still in
>a draft state for me, but one of my tactics is to have the pet charge
>one while I pull off the add with an arcane shot and immediately switch
>to the pet's target for a sting. It's still a bit messy, but I'm sure
>with your advices I'll be able to actually use them efficiently, thanks!

When taking on a largish group, or if it contains something that you really
want put on hold, I lay down a freeze trap, send in the pet, then target
the pet's target and multishot. Anything not targeted by the pet will
immediately come after me, and get knockered by the trap at my feet before
it can do anything to me. Meanwhile I kill pet's target, and then sic pet
on frozen beastie.

In article <vkj7919sumjpe63hl3jku8errdopq65cnn@4ax.com>, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

> Frost Trap I've never found much use for. Probably a lot of playstyle issue
> there, but just not really my thing.

Interesting.. I rarely *don't* use it... it takes a second to drop, has
a wide area of effect, and I can't think of a situation where having
the mob slowed is unhelpful :)

.... particularly if I realise I've bitten off way more than I can chew
and need a quick getaway :)

___
Neil
aka HighVis