No 8 pin power connector, CPU power

Oct 27, 2012
Hi Tomshardware,

I have a bit of a problem. I've looked around on the internet for an answer but i cant find one. my motherboard has an 8 pin CPU power slot. I have a power supply with an 8 pin power connector but it dousnt work =|. so now i have to use my old one. but it dousnt have an 8 pin power connector. i can fit it's 4 pin power connector into the motherboard. but im a bit worried it wont be sufficient for my cpu, so i havn't actually used the new mobo yet. I've got a few options.

1. Should I buy an adapter? like molex to 8 pin?
2. Should I buy a new PSU?

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX 8120 3.1Ghz
PSU: Thermaltake 500w HERE: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19148

Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2012

ok, thanks. and its you again! thanks so much for all the help you've given me. is there any PSU that you could recommend? i dont want to spend more then AU$120.

The site I shop at: www.pccasegear.com.au

these are my planned specs for the near future:

CPU: AMD FX 8120
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: G.skill RipjawsX 16gb (2x8GB)
GPU: GTX 660
PSU:?
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB
SSD: Intel 330 60Gb.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C-50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The Antec VP Series 550W (VP550P), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 in 2-way SLI mode.

Antec VP550P 550W Power Supply for $65.00 AUD
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=18877

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

TRENDING THREADS