I7 3770k, i7 3770, or i5 2500k?

VanillaPimpin

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my processor to either of the three listed above (i7 3770k, i7 3770, or i5 2500k). I, mainly, wish to upgrade so that I may livestream in 720p+ (i have been livestreaming in very high quality lately, but full 720p will make my processor lag which is a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition which can play almost every game i throw at it on ultra (crisis 2 is pretty much the only thing I cant play normally w/o streaming on ultra) (that was alot of parentheses) and continue editing and using multiple applications in the adobe suite. Please, if you can, help me make a decision on what should be best for me.

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Before you spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on a new platform (because you'll need to since you're wanting to go from AMD to Intel) you should seriously consider amuffin's suggestion. Get the Hyper 212 and try OCing. If you're willing, you could spend even more money on a good cooler like the Noctua Nh-D14 and OC the HELL out of that CPU. If that doesn't get you anywhere, then you can get Intel.

VanillaPimpin

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I was planning on getting the 2600k since it is sandy bridge and I keep reading that ivy bridge runs hotter (will most likely oc so it is important) although it takes a bit more power I think sandy bridge would be right for me with a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+ still need to find a mobo though

It runs hotter at the same clock speed, but it's faster architecture... so the ivy bridge can be at, say, 4.4 GHz, competing with sandy bridge at 4.7 or 4.8.

Even when overclocking, ivy is the way to go. (I mean, think about it. Why would Intel roll out a new gen of chips that were slower than the old gen?)