Computer Damaged after Overheating?

I had to move my computer recently, and after I setup my computer at a different place in my house, it shut off during start up. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I tried switching cables and outlets and still the same thing happened. Eventually, I looked inside my computer (which i should have done the first time) and noticed my CPU's heat sink wasn't touching the CPU. So, the problem was that it was overheating. I reattached it and it worked fine.

Later that day, however, I realized it was acting strange. When ever I streamed videos on YouTube or other sites, the video would lag terribly when I hovered my cursor over a link on the page. Later, I also noticed, whenever a notification popped up from my system tray, like from Skype, my entire computer would lag while it was up there. Also, my USB condenser microphone, when ever I plug it in, would not work and sometimes even crash my computer. None of this started happening until it overheated.

So my question is, is this definitely a hardware problem or could it be a software problem. If it is a hardware problem, what all will I have to replace.

My Build:
Processor: Intel i7
Memory: 6144MB
Video Card: EVGA geforce gtx 580
HD: 1 TB WD black caviar
6 answers Last reply
More about computer damaged overheating
  1. If you reattached the heat sink without cleaning off the old thermal paste and reapplying new paste, your CPU is probably still running hotter than it should.

Download coretemp and/hwmonitor and see what your temps are.
  2. IT says all the cores are running at about 70-77 degrees Celsius. I honestly have no idea what its supposed to be at, but that seems high to me :|
  3. Assuming that value is with no load, that's extremely high, and probably your problem. My guess is that you need new thermal compound for your CPU heatsink.
  4. I got help cleaning off the old paste and adding new paste, and its running about 7-10 degrees cooler than before, and my computer mostly seems back to normal. My games no longer lag and things load faster, however the problem with the YouTube videos lagging whenever I hover over a link on that page still happens, but everything else is fixed. The temp still seems like its running a bit high to me but that's probably due to the fact that I'm still using the stock heat sink (my bad). Today I'm going out to pick up a better one.

Thanks for your help!
  5. If it's an Intel stock fan relying on pushpins to keep the heatsink tight to the CPU, they don't have a great reliability record...go for one that bolts through to a baseplate on the bottom of the mobo...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers