Sign in with
Your question

Put pc in sleep mode or run 24/7?

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2012 2:47:29 AM

I finished building my new pc(it has an ssd) and im having a lot of trouble deciding whether or not it would be better to turn the pc off every night, leave it in sleep mode, or just let it run 24/7. Im not worried about the electricity bill. I want to do whats best for the longevity of the components and keeping them stable(minimum wear and tear). I use the pc VERY frequently during the entire time if that helps you decide.

What do you guys think i should do? Sleep mode every night, turn it off, or keep it running?

Even though my pc can boot in under 5 seconds, I heard that for someone that uses the computer almost all the time during the day, it would be best to leave it on 24/7 because turning it off causes the most wear and tear but i am not sure. With my old pc, i put it in sleep mode every night but i want to make sure its the correct way of doing things.

More about : put sleep mode run

November 16, 2012 6:51:17 AM

just turn it off at night if your not using it. Leaving it on 24/7 the time will kill your PSU particularly, and even motherboard. Voltage constantly going through the capacitors will make their life significantly shorter. Having said that it may still last a good 4 or 5 years before you start seeing those problems, depending on quality of components. Also your hard drive spinning round all the time will wear its bbearings, although i dont know how it will affect a solid state drive.....
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:11:56 AM

I agree^ theres so much speculation about leaving it on or putting it to sleep. For 8+ years I have hibernated or put my computer to sleep at night when its not in use. And they all worked perfectly. Just put it to sleep or hibernate.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2012 7:16:40 AM

i turn it off at night, but i would probly just put it in sleep mode but my case (nzxt phantom 410) has a power led light that flashes when its in sleep mode
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:31:54 AM

computernoob29 said:
i turn it off at night, but i would probly just put it in sleep mode but my case (nzxt phantom 410) has a power led light that flashes when its in sleep mode

Yeah I use hibernate because if I put it to sleep my case fan LED's stay on.
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:36:19 AM

I'm always turn them off when not used...

the reason is I'm more afraid of bad wall power from electricity company than the wear of the component.... (electricity are bad around here...)
m
l
November 16, 2012 9:35:33 AM

Yep turn off your computer every night it will save your components lifetimes by a fairly large amount, that and do you really want a loud noisy machine in your house running all night, some power will still be used meaning your electricity bill will go up...
Also running a computer through the boot cycle is good anyways, varys the processes.
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:37:30 PM

if you are not using it then save the environment and shut it down. with that ssd you probably have under 30 seconds of boot time so that is not an issue.
m
l
!