Help! I Can't get a Display

G

So I ran into some difficulties and I read that sticky about the no video issue. I was using this setup:
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX V2
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK
GPU: Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GT 440
RAM: Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB

After assembling the parts, I hooked up an HDMI cable from the build to a HD TV. There was no picture or sound appearing on the TV although I know the cable it's self works as it's a PS3 cable and on that TV. All the fans were spinning, 1 chassis fan, the PSU fan, the CPU fan, and the GPU fan. Not knowing what the problem was, I thought I could try the Breadboarding method. So I took everything out the case, I placed the motherboard on top of the box it came in. I plugged both RAM sticks into the slots, I plugged in the GPU, I plugged in the 24-pin power connector and the 4-pin connector next to the CPU. I made sure everything was securely in place. I connected the front panal connectors (the front of my case just lay next to the motherboard).I plugged in a HDMI cable into the GPU port and connected this to the TV. I joined the PSU together, making sure to switch it on at the back of the box and finally switching on the socket on the wall. I pressed the power button on the case and then the PSU,GPU fan started to spin as well as the CPU fan and there was a green light on the motherboard. There were no sounds as I didn't have a motherboard speaker connected. Unfortunately there was no display again. I then removed one of the RAM sticks. Again, no display. I even tried using each individual stick and testing each in a different slot. Still nothing. I tried unplugging the GPU and using the on-board graphics and I plugged in a VGA cable and set my TV to "PC-VGA" mode (and I know this mode works and the cable as well because I tried it with a laptop). I still did not get a display. I thought that because I was using a proper TV and not a monitor that this was the cause of the no display but that seems to simple. So I'm all out of ideas and I think I'll take my computer down to a local shop and ask them to build it for me.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Could be a problem with the integrated graphics on the motherboard. You could try RMAing the motherboard.

From the amount of detail you've given and all the troubleshooting you've done this doesn't seem like user error, but rather a defective part.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I recall a similar post a fair ways back, haven't been able to find it yet sorry, but if I recall correctly, it came down to the tv needing to be switched to accept a signal from the pc. Your tv may be similar, check the tv's documentation. Good luck.