Any thoughts before my first build?

shallfrisch

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
here is the list, it will be used for moderate usage gaming with higher end demand on graphics and will be processing RAW photos often.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.88 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.13 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($174.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.95 @ B&H)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 / 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Lets take it part for part

CPU-SWEET
Motherboard-it is micro if you need to get it but if not get a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Memory-great ram if yo can get 1600mhz
Hard drive good choice
Video card-get a gtx 480 for 200 or a 7850 for 250
Case-does the job
PSU-great psu but overkill a 550 watt will be fine
Optical drive doesnt matter
OS it is 64-bit so you are good

hope this helps.

shallfrisch

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
the cosair is the best one that is cheap and modulated that looks somewhat decent that i know of, can you suggest a different one, is it really worth the extra 15 dollars/65 dollars for a better gpu? im already spending more then i wanted orignally but if it really is worth the bang for the buck? anything cheaper then the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 seems a little more then what i would let to spend.

CPU, very nice.

Motherboard- inappropriate choice for a K processor. The B75 chipset does not support overclocking, look for a mobo with a Z77 or Z68 chipset, or save a couple bucks and drop the "K"

Memory- Works for me

Hard Drive- Hard to screw up with Seagate or WD

Video card- Not the strongest gaming video card on the market, but very decent nevertheless

Case- Pretty

PSU- Very good choice

Op system- As if you had a choice? lol

shallfrisch

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.26 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($174.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.95 @ B&H)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 / 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Microcenter sucks anyway. Don't count on them being in business more than 2 years from now. They're selling Intel CPUs in store only at a loss. They have a very piss-poor online ordering system (which tacks on hidden sales tax and shipping before you finalize your order) have a horrible reputation of shipping things late, considering newegg and tigerdirect ship free and get stuff to customers faster. MicroCenter may be a tech store selling cutting edge technology, but they aren't cutting edge themselves, too much stock in their brick & mortar stores will be their downfall in the age of people shopping online. [/rant]

shallfrisch

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
thanks nekulturny you've been a great help ill stay with the giga though i like it's chip sets better plus a little cheaper for me to get.

Anyone else like to put their two cents in?

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Nekul Have you had a bad experience with Microcenter recently :D? I have had nothing but great relations with microcenter! Perhaps their low prices will be the death of them, but why not take advantage of the 50 bucks you save buying a 3570k there instead of Newegg? Sure they have tax and shipping but you still save a bunch of dough! In my opinion, I would rather have an extra 50 bucks in my pocket, and risk having my shipping get delayed (which it never has) than have 0 bucksin my pocket and have my package come early. But thats just the opinion of a cheap ass colleger who is unsure where his next bowl of ramen is coming from :D

Nekul Have you had a bad experience with Microcenter recently :D?
Actually yes, their online ordering is terrible. Their customer support puts you on hold for a half hour, and of course when you finally do get a live person, its someone who don't speaka da english so nice.

Its not just me who feels that way about their online ordering check it out:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Micro_Center
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Newegg
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Tiger_Direct

I've shopped in a MicroCenter actual store before, I agree its a nice place to shop, the people are friendly and helpful, and theres great bargains there for sure. But as for their online ordering, I'd honestly question whether or not they were breaking the law.

My state doesn't require sales tax to be applied for online orders, and yet when I attempted to order from them, they added state sales tax to it anyway, plus the shipping, their online stuff turns out to be no cheaper than if you had ordered it from Newegg or TigerDirect.

I know I came accross as a bit of rant-ish, lol, but I'm not kidding with you though, they really are in serious trouble. Brick and Mortar stores are on their way out. We've seen this with CircuitCity, Borders/Waldenbooks, and several others. If they don't get their act together and get a better logistics network set up for online ordering, they're screwed. I was just merely making an observation from a business standpoint, it seems they're trying to keep their B&M stores afloat with the in-store only, they should really know better.

I know how it feels though, I'm a broke college student myself. lol

Good luck, if you need anything else, just let me know.