Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1300 Gaming Build Final

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2012 10:32:17 PM

So I once again reconfigured my ~$1,300 Gaming Computer build and would like to double check that all the parts are compatible with each other so that I can pull the trigger and order the parts, so here it is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bwq6

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Uses (By Priority): Gaming (Ultra/High); Recording, Editing, Rendering (Ultra/High/Medium); Browsing the Web; Watching Movies/Videos; Possible animating/photoshop

Resolution: 1920x1080

Possible upgrades will be made as the years go by and this build is meant to last long (for me).

If I made any crucial mistakes then please let me know

Thanks for the help :) 

Edit:

Questions on build:

Are all the parts compatible?

Which is better? The Asus motherboard I listed or the Biostar one?

Should I stick to the 7200 RPM Hard Drive with only 1 TB or upgrade to the 2 TB (Only with 5400 RPM)?

July 6, 2012 10:39:12 PM

Or would this build be a little bit better considering its only ~$10 dollars more and it has 1Tb more in storage capabilities?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bwtc

Motherboard Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155
Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Edit: All that changes is the mobo and the hard drive

Edit 2:Is 5400RPM a lot slower than 7200RPM if only a few games MIGHT be stored here?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 11:02:55 PM

that biostar look phenomenal. be aware that 3Tb+ hard drive can cause problems. make sure that MB supports it.
Related resources
July 6, 2012 11:23:17 PM

Yeah the Biostar motherboard supports the 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 5400 RPM, what I'm wondering is if a 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive makes a significant difference if most of the files are going to be videos (A few games if I run out of SSD space), and if so if the Asus motherboard build with the Samsung 1 TB hard drive with 7200 RPM might be a better way to go (and if the Asus motherboard supports it and is better than the Biostar mobo).

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2012 11:52:14 PM

OH!
i am sorry i mistook the 3.5" as being terabytes not the physical size.

sorry, nevermind.

if you are looking at having a lot of videos, depending on the format, mp4 vs divX, more storage the better.
July 6, 2012 11:54:43 PM

Anonymous said:
OH!
i am sorry i mistook the 3.5" as being terabytes not the physical size.

sorry, nevermind.

Wait, so would you go with the 7200 Rpm 1 Tb or the 5400 rpm 2 Tb? I only have 120 GB of SSD at my disposal so the speeds MAY make a significant difference if I run out of space on the SSD.

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 12:05:32 AM

Quick points:
- get the 5400RPM 2Tb. You want it slower (quieter) with more storage. You already have a fast SSD for Windows.

- get the Asus board. Their long-term driver support and overall quality is arguably the best.

- Gigabyte GTX670. Whichever 670 you get (and it's a good card) make sure to get one with a good non-reference cooler. Look at the reviews to compare noise in dB.

I've been recommending the Asus DirectCU II 670. It's more expensive than other 670's but worth it IMO. It's incredibly quiet despite being overclocked to stock 680 levels.

Here's the link to that card even if you just use as a reference.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

*Overall your build is very good. I rarely see anyone put together an essentially flawless gaming rig.
July 7, 2012 12:05:37 AM

Oh, alright then I will go with the 2 Tb hard drive then as my "core" programs are going to be stored on the SSD anyways and I don't mind a slight load time for games I won't be playing as much.

Then there is one thing left to decide,

What are you guy's opinions on the Biostar and Asus motherboards I listed?

Edit: missed your post
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 12:08:57 AM

FYI, I shop at NCIX usually and check the sales as well. www.ncix.com

Whichever store you use, make sure that you compare the TOTAL price including shipping.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 12:11:13 AM

biostars are cheaper but get slagged on because of that. for their price point it is hard to beat their performance. asus is more expensive but as stated above provide better intangibles such as customer support.
July 7, 2012 12:14:15 AM

photonboy said:
FYI, I shop at NCIX usually and check the sales as well. www.ncix.com

Whichever store you use, make sure that you compare the TOTAL price including shipping.

Definitely, That's a given, Thanks.

But wouldn't it be better to choose a few different retailers if the product is offered for free shipping and choose the cheapest deals? Of course it's more of a hassle doing that.
July 7, 2012 12:21:52 AM

Nice build TS, I would drop the GTX 670 and grab the 7970 just for more vram and compute power
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 12:24:35 AM

SSD vs hard drive loading times:
The difference isn't as great as you'd expect. The average is closer to 25% faster rather than 5x as fast as you might think.

The actual bottleneck isn't mainly read speed. It is:
- videos that can't be skipped
- CPU and GPU sorting out the game textures etc

Here's how I do my gaming as I have a LARGE number of games:

All games are on my hard drive (E-drive):

E:\STEAM (I installed steam to this directory. Once done all future games automatically install here).

E:\GAMES (I made this folder, then install non-Steam games here. Must do a manual install and choose this directory and not a "quick" install. Easy.)

E:\Origin Games (I made this folder for Origin/EA games like Battlefield 3 that I couldn't get on Steam. Start the Origin program if you have one and change the installation here under "Settings".)

Other:
- Windows. You have two main choices, Windows 7 Premium 64-bit OEM, or simply the Windows 8 64-bit Release Candidate which you an install for free and simply add a code for later. I don't like the Windows 8 drop of the Start Menu, but that's the future so whatever...

- Backing up. I advise you to make a backup IMAGE. I use Acronis True Image full, but there's a free version if you get a Western Digital or Seagate drive. Windows 7 has a backup Image tool but it's not as good.

Make an initial backup before you do much surfing and get a virus, then make periodic new ones. If you get infected you can always reinstall.

Anyway, I've digressed too much. Good luck.
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 12:28:50 AM

redeemer said:
Nice build TS, I would drop the GTX 670 and grab the 7970 just for more vram and compute power

The VRAM issue has been beat to death and it's really a non-issue unless doing Crossfire or multi-monitor gaming (which again really needs Crossfire).

COMPUTE is better on the HD7970 yes, but it's a feature very few use.

There are lots of reviews out there and this guy seems intelligent enough that he's made his decision already.

The GTX670 is also more power efficient, has newer AA methods, Adaptive VSYNC as well as Tim Sweeney admitting that he's been optimizing the new Unreal 4 engine for Kepler (on the PC side). http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Kepler-Nvidia-Tim-Swee...

(of course Unreal 4 will run on AMD cards, but the code is being optimized for Kepler, such as the TXAA anti-aliasing I belive.)
July 7, 2012 12:49:12 AM

I'm coming to a close for this build and I'm happy to say that it's pretty much complete!

Thanks for all the help guys, I've been "refining" this build over the past week or so and a bunch of different threads, so I am really glad to say that it's almost done.

Build so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bwMv

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155
Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM

July 7, 2012 1:11:00 AM

I'm happy to say that the final build has been decided on! Thanks for everyone's help and I will select who I think provided the most helpful advice to "guiding" my decisions! :)  Even so, thanks for everyone's help.

Final Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bwMv

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer

Now on to ordering the parts!
July 7, 2012 1:11:25 AM

Best answer selected by Dakundar.
July 7, 2012 1:16:44 AM

I personally would take the Asus motherboard for quality. I also bought g skill ram its great. I've seen the cronos drive is realy fast for speed. Great build for Internals so far later you might be drooling over a fancy case.
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2012 1:31:10 AM

Solid State Drives:

I recently did some EXTENSIVE reviewing and the results were that many of the SSD's were prone to problems.

The recommended drive by far currently is the Samsung 830. I found a Tigerdirect (canada) link for $145 for the Samsung 830 128GB.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

If you can find this SSD for a similar price I strongly suggest you consider it. I personally have dealt with several brands without issues but statistically MANY of the SSD's are prone to serious short or long-term issues.
July 7, 2012 2:04:35 AM

Alright I'll keep that in mind when ordering the parts and might change my decision on a final SSD because I'm more for reliability>Performance/Speed. I would rather not have anything in the build failing just as much as anybody else, oh and thanks for the heads up on many of the SSD's failing.
!